Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » ShadowPuppets and Ornery

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: ShadowPuppets and Ornery
LetterRip
Member # 310

- posted      Profile for LetterRip   Email LetterRip   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Was Ornery mentioned in ShadowPuppets?

I've noticed that we've been growing a bit quicker than usual lately, and am curious if that is the cause... (No good book store nearby, so unless I order it over the net, I'm unlikely to get a copy of it and check myself in the near future...).

LetterRip

Posts: 8287 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seagull
Member # 694

- posted      Profile for seagull   Email seagull   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got to Ornery by looking at OSC's site after reading Ender's shadow and the Shadow of the Hegemon. All it took was the fact that every chapter started with an "e-mail" posting/quote.

For that matter even Locke and Demosthenes in Ender's game would have done it if the internet (and ornery) had been available at the time. When Ender's game was published, "the net" was still science fiction. These days it is a reality.

Ornery didn't need to be mentioned explicitly (I think hatrack was) the leap is natural.

Posts: 1910 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LetterRip
Member # 310

- posted      Profile for LetterRip   Email LetterRip   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is something interesting,

in a search for "Orson Scott Card" on google,

hatrack is the first result, and ornery is 65th!

And a search for Orson Scott Card Politics, hattrack is 3rd, and we are 117th!

People only view the top 20 results from a search so the odds of them finding ornery are extremely slim.

Also there are only two rather obscure links from hatrack (asside from some references in the forums).

Apparently bots are not allowed to index Ornery, so our discussions won't be found via a search engine.

So about the only way someone will find ornery is either word of mouth, or a link from hattrack, or the occassional mention in a book of his.

I didn't realize how strongly the odds are against someone finding, let alone coming to Ornery.

LetterRip

Posts: 8287 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Denelian
Member # 531

- posted      Profile for Denelian   Email Denelian   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
so i bet you all are REALLY hating my niece (and Luny's daughter)!!!!
Posts: 1139 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 113

- posted      Profile for msquared   Email msquared   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ornery is not mentioned, but I think some people may be hearing about it at the book signings. I know that Den, Luny and I mentioned it several times at the signing we went to.

Nate and Eddie, did you guys mention it at the ones you went to?

msquared

Posts: 4002 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cincinnatus
Member # 782

- posted      Profile for cincinnatus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I found this forum through Hatrack. I've been reading OSC's work for quite some time. When he started posting the link to the War Watch pieces, I started reading them. Eventually, I found my way to the forum. I'm usually not a big forum type person, but I've made an exception in this case due to the level of intelligence in the posts. My past experience in most forums (constant insulting posts using swearing and mildly humorous statements regarding bodily functions) had turned me off to them.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page