Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » The next war in Iraq (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The next war in Iraq
Cedrios
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Locus

thats great, I wasn't getting it to load either, maybe you could spare me the trouble of the UN's crazy web page and give me the link to where you found that.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Locus
Member # 540

- posted      Profile for Locus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.un.org/Overview/brief1.html
Posts: 678 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crazy Eddie
Member # 790

- posted      Profile for Crazy Eddie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What will make this debate interesting is seeing how the Moscow hostage situation turns out. If the Russians (heaven forbid) have several hundred civilians killed, will their stance on Iraq alter? (Of course, they might just decide to level Chechnya once and for all.)

Regards,
Crazy Eddie

(And yes, I know that the attackers in Moscow are Chechens, not Iraqis. However, someone in the Kremlin has got to be thinking about the likelihood that the Chechen rebels are being supported by some of the Arab nations. Furthermore, it is possible that Russia could try to trade a vote supporting action against Iraq in return for US approval of whatever is about to hit Chechnya.)

Posts: 24 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Baldar
Member # 669

- posted      Profile for Baldar   Email Baldar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Eddie, the Iraqi's do not support Chechens. That support has generally been Iranian which suits the Iraqi's just fine. There will be no direct consequences to Iraq for the Chechen issues, other than an increased Russian resolve to move into Chechnya (an attack of national pride). What will happen is that there might be an invasion into Georgia to ferret out the Chechen rebels hidden there putting Shevrednaci in peril as the lead of the that government. It is questionable whether the US will become involved given even with his close relationship with Baker and the elder statesman Bush.

Iraq owes Russia 7 billion dollars. Russia wants that first and will use its single vote veto power to stop any UN moves against its client Iraq.

Posts: 3834 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Baldar
Member # 669

- posted      Profile for Baldar   Email Baldar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Permanent council members can veto by a single vote. Russia will allow no resolution regarding Iraq to be passed.
Posts: 3834 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 113

- posted      Profile for msquared   Email msquared   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Baldar,

What if we, the US, guarentees the Russians what Iraq owes them? Basically we buy their vote?

msquared

Posts: 4002 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page