Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Mr. Huckabee's ironic solution

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Mr. Huckabee's ironic solution
aupton15
Member # 1771

- posted      Profile for aupton15   Email aupton15   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090818/ap_on_bi_go_ec_fi/us_economy_5

Despite the fact that I truly think Mike Huckabee is a decent guy and a pretty straightforward politician (why else would he say something like this!), I couldn't help but choke on the irony.

He contends that a two-state solution in Israel is unworkable, but is not opposed to creating a Palestinian state somewhere else. I believe this is exactly the mindset that led to the current incarnation of the state of Israel, no? Let's just move the Palestinians around and displace another, even less important people and keep going until we finally find a group we can just push into the ocean.

This is obviously not current policy, and so it only serves as a springboard for yet another discussion about Israel that will probably be heated and ultimately fruitless, but I couldn't let it go. Personally, I think the U.S. should be around for at least 1,000 total years before we get too involved in a land dispute that predates our nation by several centuries.

I should also note that I very much enjoyed my trip to Israel, and I think anyone who speaks to enough Israelis and Palestinians (not necessarily those in leadership positions) will see that a compromise, though difficult, is still the best option on the table.

Posts: 1445 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hobsen
Member # 2923

- posted      Profile for hobsen   Email hobsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5ik3FeeyI7bBJ_dR-u6FLPnuMbb0gD9A5905O0

That link took me to something on wholesale prices, but I found the article on the link above. No guarantees.

Posts: 4387 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RickyB
Member # 1464

- posted      Profile for RickyB   Email RickyB   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The tragedy is, it may be too late for a two-state solution.
Posts: 19145 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSRT
Member # 6454

- posted      Profile for PSRT   Email PSRT   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Would you mind expanding on that, Ricky?
Posts: 2152 | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aupton15
Member # 1771

- posted      Profile for aupton15   Email aupton15   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ay! Thanks for the correction, hobsen. I have to stop surfing the web on 1 hour of sleep!
Posts: 1445 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page