Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Typical Obama

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Typical Obama
sfallmann
Member # 2148

- posted      Profile for sfallmann   Email sfallmann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpunch/2009/08/obama-is-probike-helmets-but-does-not-wear-one-for-family-ride.html

Do as I say, not as I do.

Granted - not a big deal, but it's so fitting.

Posts: 396 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattP
Member # 2763

- posted      Profile for MattP   Email MattP   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Eh. Seems more like "typical human" to me. I'm also pro-helmet and have them for all my kids but I've never gotten around to getting one for myself.

The article noted that he usually wears one. Maybe he just forgot it this time, or it wasn't handy when he went on this ride. *shrug*

Posts: 3481 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 113

- posted      Profile for msquared   Email msquared   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does the Vinyard have a helmet law? Do they ticket riders that don't have helmets? I know where I live if you are under 18 it is the law that you have to wear a helmet. I wonder if a cop would give the President a ticket for not wearing a helmet?

msquared

Posts: 4002 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JoshCrow
Member # 6048

- posted      Profile for JoshCrow   Email JoshCrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He may be trying to avoid this kind of picture. [Smile]
Posts: 2281 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DonaldD
Member # 1052

- posted      Profile for DonaldD   Email DonaldD   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Typical level of political discourse in the US of A [Razz]
Posts: 10751 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rightleft22
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for rightleft22   Email rightleft22   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess you got us. I'm pro helmet but don't wear mine either. I guess now everthing I stand for is a lie.
Posts: 935 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OpsanusTau
Member # 2350

- posted      Profile for OpsanusTau   Email OpsanusTau   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is a certain amount of evidence that, depending on your relative physical fitness and biking confidence as well as your biking location, wearing a helmet is not always safer.
Posts: 3791 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave at Work
Member # 1906

- posted      Profile for Dave at Work   Email Dave at Work   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never wore a helmet when I was young. Then when I was 15 I got hit by a car and the doctor said that the only reason we were talking was because I somehow got my arm between my head and the asphalt. Fast forward to age 29, about 10 years ago. I am wearing a helmet when I get hit by a large vehicle. It was a relatively minor hit, her mirror clipped my arm as she passed way to close, but I was knocked off my bike, and I creased the helmet on the edge of the sidewalk. Had I not been wearing my helmet the crease would have been in my right temple and I would not be typing this today.

So I m very pro bicycle helmet. On the other hand, I also am very pro choice. By that I mean that I believe that where informed adults are concerned they should have the choice whether or not to wear a bicycle helmet when riding a bike.

All of that said, I'm not ready for a Biden Presidency, so Please, Please, Please choose to wear a helmet on future bicycle rides Mister President.

Posts: 1928 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DonaldD
Member # 1052

- posted      Profile for DonaldD   Email DonaldD   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I imagine that at Martha's Vineyard, cycling with his family and closest secret service buddies, he's not likely going to be sideswiped by a vehicle or even go fast enough to lose control. There are times when a helmet simply isn't required, even for those most pro-helmet.

Being pro-helmet doesn't necessarily mean being coercively pro-helmet in all situations, so calling him on this as some sort of political 'gotcha' is, frankly, stupid.

Posts: 10751 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cherrypoptart
Member # 3942

- posted      Profile for cherrypoptart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nobody seems to have mentioned that at least the children were wearing helmets. That's got to count for something.

I've never worn a helmet, and have taken at least three pretty bad falls. The worst was on my big wheel when I put a board up against a giant green caterpillar riding toy, screamed down a hill, jumped it, flipped over, and landed on my chin. I hit a curb straight on, flipped over, and rolled in the grass and also riding back from Tokyo to Yokosuka had to ditch and jump instead of hitting a pole and rolled away from it okay. I'll attribute the latter two walk-aways to my cat-like reflexes and judo lessons. The first one was before I had judo and I still have the scar on my chin from that. Regular Indiana Jones...

I don't have anything to say against helmets though.

I also agree about not being coercively pro-helmet too. Give people the facts and let them decide. And their decision could even vary depending on circumstance, and that's fine too. I'm not going to bust on Obama about this, and even salute the children for wearing their helmets if the people involved feel it makes them safer, or feel safer, or is a good habit to get into, or whatever. It's cool.

Posts: 7675 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Viking_Longship
Member # 3358

- posted      Profile for Viking_Longship   Email Viking_Longship       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I'm not going to bust on Obama about this
Thanks, we appreciate the restraint
Posts: 5765 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lobo
Member # 89

- posted      Profile for Lobo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Being pro-helmet doesn't necessarily mean being coercively pro-helmet in all situations, so calling him on this as some sort of political 'gotcha' is, frankly, stupid."

Ok, so I don't want to hear from any of you libs about the next republican senator who turns out to be gay because:

Being anti-gay doesn't necessarily mean being coercively anti-gay in all situations...

Posts: 1094 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayward Son
Member # 210

- posted      Profile for Wayward Son   Email Wayward Son   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Being anti-gay doesn't necessarily mean being coercively anti-gay in all situations...
Conservatives call that being "pro-gay," Lobo. [Smile]
Posts: 8681 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Viking_Longship
Member # 3358

- posted      Profile for Viking_Longship   Email Viking_Longship       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lobo, liberals haven't won a lot of elections on helmet laws, republicans have campainned on "defense of traditional marriage". As soon as Republicans cut that out the ones who go looking for sex in men's rooms can worry less about liberal criticism.
Posts: 5765 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

- posted      Profile for kenmeer livermaile   Email kenmeer livermaile       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"White House spokesman Bill Burton said he did not know why the president was not wearing a helmet because he generally does."

Unless the White House spokesperson who said this is lying (*gasp*!), it's an exception not a rule.

And yes, sfallmann, it really wasn't worth bringing up.

As for helmet laws, they're almost surely the result of insurance industry lobbying. Keeping brain-injured (former) bike riders on life support for life is EXPENSIVE.

Mandatory driver insurance is also coercive, but the populace at large doesn't want to share the risk of individual misfortune. As a society. we've decided that the imposition of requiring driver insurance (or helmets) is worth the benefit of that much less trauma, financial and physical, at large.

Posts: 23297 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page