Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Should the 17th Amendment be repealed?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Should the 17th Amendment be repealed?
Jon Camp
Member # 192

- posted      Profile for Jon Camp   Email Jon Camp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://writ.corporate.findlaw.com/dean/20020913.html

It seems reasonable enough when I read it, due to his conversational tone. But now let me sum up:

"It's the Special Interests! They did it! And if we get rid of it we destroy their power!"

Doesn't seem quite so reasonable in that case, does it?

I do think it's an interesting point that as per Madison in the Federalist Papers the original Senatorial Election method was designed to create "gridlock." I just don't see how it would really be all that effective at it, as the State Legislatures are still elected by the General Populace. How could it be thought that the State Legislature would have a different agenda than the General Populace? And if they have basically the same agenda, why not remover the middleman and just have the General Populace elect the senators anyway?

I imagine that this is probably the same argument that took place back then and which led to the passage of the amendment. It makes a lot of sense to me, at least.

-- Now I'm gonna be a bad boy and cross-post this to hatrack too.

Posts: 782 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page