Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » That works

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: That works
Pyrtolin
Member # 2638

- posted      Profile for Pyrtolin   Email Pyrtolin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pat Toomey, getting ready for our Senate election has been saying that we've got CHIP, Medicaid, and Medicare, and those should be good enough to cover people who need care. (So there's no need to arrest the abuse of the health insurance industry)

I'd love to seem him respond to this example of those systems "working"

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/30/opinion/30kristof.html?_r=1&em

In other news, Obama's going to be doing a televised address to Congress on the issue on the 9th. Maybe this is finally a sign of giving up on letting congress try to work it out between parties and taking direct initiative.

(It's amusing to seem him be panned though, for not "leading" on the issue, when the Clinton administration was panned for doing just that.)

Posts: 11997 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 99

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of the things I wish Obama had figured out, when he decided to staff his administration with Clintonites, is that the price of that decision is that his administration would as a necessary consequence resemble the Clinton Administration -- something that was of questionable value at the time, and which would be of even less value in an era after Republicans had turned feral.
Posts: 22935 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

- posted      Profile for kenmeer livermaile   Email kenmeer livermaile       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like to think, because I like to believe in hope and change, that Obama is letting all these old cats, Clinton Dems and Bush Reps, have their shot at it and so disappoint the people that he would have their support if he announced a massive house-cleaning.

The people obviously hate Congress, despising it almost as much (or more? I forget?) as Dick Cheney.

I would love to see a savvy operator work both these ends against their middle and sit on top. But I am a foolish optimist, I am. God loves me.

Posts: 23297 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Talltwin
Member # 5610

- posted      Profile for Talltwin   Email Talltwin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pry - the issue is Congress. They complained when the Clinton's handed them a plan, and now they are complaining when Obama is letting them decide on the plan.

They are like the petulant child who does not like what you are making for dinner, but will not tell you what they want.

talltwin

Posts: 234 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyrtolin
Member # 2638

- posted      Profile for Pyrtolin   Email Pyrtolin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Talltwin:
Pry - the issue is Congress. They complained when the Clinton's handed them a plan, and now they are complaining when Obama is letting them decide on the plan.

They are like the petulant child who does not like what you are making for dinner, but will not tell you what they want.

I know, and I'm holding out hope that the reason we had to slug through that kind of muck was to help prove that point to make it more more for active leadership after the fact. We'll see what happens after Wednesday, I suppose.
Posts: 11997 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

- posted      Profile for kenmeer livermaile   Email kenmeer livermaile       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's a Congressional election next year. I anticipate it will be as pivotal as last year's presidential election and the '06 Congressional election.

Only this time I don't think the pivoting will be so much on party lines but on more meaningful points.

I agree with Pyrt: it was always the case from the beginning that Obama would have to slug this one uphill from the bully pulpit.

Posts: 23297 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lobo
Member # 89

- posted      Profile for Lobo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unfortunately for Obama, his pulpit is a lot smaller than it was a couple of months ago...
Posts: 1094 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IrishTD
Member # 2216

- posted      Profile for IrishTD   Email IrishTD   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Health insurance programs are regulated at the state level, thus, why don't the states take the lead. Holy cow, there's a foreign idea these days.

As for Obama's remarks next week, he's probably going to do what he should have done long ago: provide a framework that Congress needs to work within -- or at least more than two or three broad principles.

Posts: 825 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyrtolin
Member # 2638

Some have, some haven't, but most states already suffer from very slim pickings as far as competitions goes (PA has 2 insurance companies providing 70% of coverage)

So even a state based solution would fall short without solid agreements to work over state lines.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page