Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » The Speech (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: The Speech
RickyB
Member # 1464

- posted      Profile for RickyB   Email RickyB   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
" quote:Why ask people to pay less than their fair share of the cost to support our society, especially when those who can least afford it are paying an amount that's extremely disproportionate to their wealth.

Because this is a capitalist country where everyone is supposed to earn their own "fair share?"

Do you see that you're not answering the original question? You're being told that people are working and earning "their fair share" but paying far more relative to their income than others. You reply that somehow they're not working hard enough?

"It's a _fine_ theory. But that's all it is, a theory and not one worth the risk, my humble opinion, of course."

Um, I'm thinking more "axiom". Do you not operate according to this in your own life? And what is the huge risk, again?

Posts: 19145 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 6161

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I find the concept of "fair share" rather at odds with reality in this country.
Posts: 2635 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rafi
Member # 6930

- posted      Profile for Rafi   Email Rafi       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Adam Masterman:
Thanks for the link, threads. Its funny; Obama was actually the one who called Wilson out on HIS lie; you can hear him say, after Wilson's outburst, simply "thats not true." Wilson apologized this morning, but stopped short of conceding the point.

Adam

Why Wilson did not concede the point:

quote:
State Senator Richard Lara has already moved a bill through the California State Senate that would allow illegal immigrants to buy unsubsidized health insurance in the state’s Obamacare exchange. The state would have to receive a federal waiver from the Obama administration before implementing it.

The bill would also extend coverage to illegal residents under the age of 19 to enroll in California’s fully paid-for Medicaid program.

Advantage Wilson.
Posts: 793 | Registered: Jul 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyrtolin
Member # 2638

- posted      Profile for Pyrtolin   Email Pyrtolin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Unsubsidized" means that no federal funds are going to support it. Wilson's assertion about the exchange system is still false.
Posts: 11997 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rafi
Member # 6930

- posted      Profile for Rafi   Email Rafi       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So you're convinced this is as far as it goes, it will never get subsidized in any way?
Posts: 793 | Registered: Jul 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyrtolin
Member # 2638

- posted      Profile for Pyrtolin   Email Pyrtolin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rafi:
So you're convinced this is as far as it goes, it will never get subsidized in any way?

I hope that we'll fix the immigration system, such that all immigrant workers get their proper work permits they need to operate legally as well as access to appropriate subsidization.

But even that requires further legislation above and beyond what's provided for in the ACA. Wilson's comment remains untrue, even if future policy changes to more toward a more reasonable state of affairs are made, no matter how much envy-based arguments such as the one you're advancing here are used to try to turn people against each other instead of standing up for just and equitable treatment.

Posts: 11997 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 99

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In order for it to be subsidized, Rafi, the federal legislature would have to vote to do that.
Posts: 22935 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philnotfil
Member # 1881

- posted      Profile for philnotfil     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So Wilson should have said, "that could potentially be untrue at some point in the future"?
Posts: 3719 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Greg Davidson
Member # 3377

- posted      Profile for Greg Davidson   Email Greg Davidson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rafi, you were so wrong about Obamacare that when looked at all your bogus claims, you ran away and changed your name.

Come back to this topic when you've taken responsibility for previous nonsense.

Posts: 4178 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DJQuag
Member # 3582

- posted      Profile for DJQuag   Email DJQuag       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That wasn't why Rafi changed his name, was it? I was under the assumption that he ate a permaban under his old one and came back a couple months later with a new name. Notice how he never answers speculation or questions on it.
Posts: 476 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pete at Home
Member # 429

- posted      Profile for Pete at Home   Email Pete at Home   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Last i checked, under the Rafi iteration, G4 stopped being Ornery's principal post-reporter. And that's a significant improvement .
Posts: 44193 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 99

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How would you check?
Posts: 22935 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pete at Home
Member # 429

- posted      Profile for Pete at Home   Email Pete at Home   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
How would you check?

How do I check my gmail inbox?

Back in G3 days, I used to get at least two G3-related OM complaints every week I spoke to him or of him. I also saw at least three complaints on the forum every week about G3 doing this to others.

Posts: 44193 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 99

So you weren't actually checking, then. I wondered.
D.W.
Member # 4370

- posted      Profile for D.W.   Email D.W.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To be fair Pete, you haven't been back in action here posting all that long yet. [Razz]
Posts: 4308 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pete at Home
Member # 429

Are you disagreeing with my inference about g4's behavior re the Mod, Tom, or are you just emulating g4 by quibbling over an irrelevant point?
Pete at Home
Member # 429

quote:
Originally posted by D.W.:
To be fair Pete, you haven't been back in action here posting all that long yet. [Razz]

Long enough to observe a change. This is hardly the first time i gandalfed from the forum for months and come back. This is the first time that i went a whole first month back without a warning.
D.W.
Member # 4370

- posted      Profile for D.W.   Email D.W.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No I was suggesting the more you post the more you can determine if you get lest grief emails. [Razz]

I underestimated that you could rack up multiple warnings in a month. So I guess your point stands...

I ramble not quibble.

[ July 30, 2015, 07:45 PM: Message edited by: D.W. ]

Posts: 4308 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 99

I was mainly curious about whether someone was actually telling you who reported a given post.
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page