Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » I have no idea what to call this

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I have no idea what to call this
Jon Camp
Member # 192

- posted      Profile for Jon Camp   Email Jon Camp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A question occurred to me the other night, and with all the talk of homosexuality on the board lately, I was wondering if anyone knows the answer:

Is there an incest taboo among homosexuals?

Among heterosexuals there (usually) is becuz of the known dangers of inbreeding, but becuz homosexuals aren't "breeding pairs," is there even a need for such a taboo?

Posts: 782 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Everard
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was actually wondering something similar recently.

AS birth control becomes better, and genetic modification becomes possible, are we likely to see the end of the incest taboo? Or will that remain in place long after the health reasons for it are gone?

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JonathanTheOmnipotent
Member # 797

- posted      Profile for JonathanTheOmnipotent   Email JonathanTheOmnipotent   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Incest is the one taboo that has existed in every culture. Even with the Romans, although it wasn't illegal, was frowned upon. There are psycho-anthropological reasons for the taboo, and they seem to hold true between same sexes. (I learnt this good from anthramapology last semester.)
Posts: 237 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Baldar
Member # 669

- posted      Profile for Baldar   Email Baldar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually it was practiced by royalty world wide. The Egyptians were big on it in their time, the Romans did practice it (including several emperors), a number of examples. It was not rare, but it was not common either.
Posts: 3834 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Denelian
Member # 531

- posted      Profile for Denelian   Email Denelian   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you'd also be surpreised at the number of people who fantasize about incest - and where they draw the line.

some people include "steps", other don't even include "halfs".

i love Luny (my sister) but somehow the idea seems wroooooooooong...on sooooooo many levels...

Posts: 1139 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JonathanTheOmnipotent
Member # 797

- posted      Profile for JonathanTheOmnipotent   Email JonathanTheOmnipotent   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Eddie--

Huh? I don't see a difference. There's a taboo in either case.

Posts: 237 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Camp
Member # 192

- posted      Profile for Jon Camp   Email Jon Camp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Eddie, that's my point: The incest taboo is cultural because it is sexual, with the sexual leading to the possibility of inbreeding. Since homosexual pairs don't "breed," though, that removes the sexual from it. Since the cultural flows from the sexual, but there's no need for the sexual in the case of the homosexual, does it not stand to reason that there'd be no cultural either?

This, of course, assumes that those who would normally be considered incestuous both be homosexual and like or love each other enough to engage in the deed. Does anyone know how often siblings/cousins/aunts/uncles/etc tend to be homosexual? I'm sure it's almost vanishingly rare, and so would really render my question moot, but I still wonder.

And as the taboo is cultural, would we as a society really be willing to have 1 standard for heterosexuals which would include the incest taboo, but no such taboo for homosexuals? Or would that be trying to change societal attitudes too far?

Posts: 782 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JonathanTheOmnipotent
Member # 797

Eddie...I think you misunderstood me. I was saying what you're saying. There's a taboo in either case; brother-sister, brother-brother, sister-sister--it's all taboo. I pointed out that the taboo is also the one taboo that is in every culture, and that there are psychological reasons for it. (Now don't argue with me, I just took anthropology last semester. You can read my text book and then write to the authors if you want.)
JonathanTheOmnipotent
Member # 797

Oh, wait...were you talking to the other Jon? oops...
Luny
Member # 649

- posted      Profile for Luny   Email Luny   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe this will help. While Den is attractive, and were she not my sister I'd prolly hit on her (like every other Bi/lesbian girl she knows luv ya sis)BUT she IS my (step)sister and so therefore I don't. We aren't actually blood related or anything so that wouldn't be a problem, its just that growing up with a person, there are certain experiences that prevent you from looking at a person that way. I imagine its easier for those people who didn't know they had siblings until teenage years or so. Even liking girls, no matter how hot ANY of my sisters may be, it ain't gonna happen. I mean, I go to kiss her or something and I start thinking about helping her sneak out years ago or some other more embarassing memory and it just ruins it for you. I think that most people feel that way though they prolly don't realize it.

Anybody seen The Royal Tenenbaums? Similar situation though the girl was adopted so what really was the taboo?

Posts: 176 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JonathanTheOmnipotent
Member # 797

I think making her adopted was partially a decision by the writers (one of the Wilson brothers and somebody else, I forget who) to keep people from walking right out of the theater. But then the taboo was there anyway (at least within the movie, to the characters), keeping them apart, and the love story was still tragic.
Luny
Member # 649

- posted      Profile for Luny   Email Luny   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That was my point. The taboo is still there, but why?
Posts: 176 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JonathanTheOmnipotent
Member # 797

Because they grew up together just as blood siblings would.

(That's what I was referring to before, those psychological reasons.)

Jon Camp
Member # 192

Okay, so you "learned it in psychology class" and we can "read your textbook," but we'd rather you summed up: What ARE the psychological reasons beyond a cultural construct to prevent inbreeding?
Paercival
Member # 92

- posted      Profile for Paercival   Email Paercival   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sorry I forget the exact numbers, but I learned in an adolescent psych class that a majority of 2nd cousins (I believe around 70%) experiment sexually with each other (heterosexually, didn't learn about homosexual)
Posts: 203 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JonathanTheOmnipotent
Member # 797

You grow up with someone, you find it awkward to think of them in a sexual way. It's the same no matter if they're blood related or not. Nature's way of keeping genetic diversity isn't something programmed into your physical senses, like the smell of your sister's blood turning your face green. It's more generalized by making anyone who you grow up with undesirable on a psychological level. It's not even on a cultural level, which was why I said it's the one taboo that shows up in all cultures.

Now, close your eyes, and think of a calm ocean beach with a pleasant breeze, the taste of a refreshing pina colada chilling your tongue...

Now imagine your parents having sex.

Doesn't that just gross you out?

PS: Sorry, I didn't mean to be cryptic. I just didn't want anyone arguing with me since those aren't even my words.

LetterRip
Member # 310

- posted      Profile for LetterRip   Email LetterRip   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Immunologically, odor, phermones, etc. there are differences so that close relatives are less attractive to each other, so there are biological mechanisms that counter incest between close relatives.

See
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/2207476.stm
http://www.skfriends.com/brain-likes-opposite-sex-smell.htm
http://www.ireland.com/explore/festivals/2001/0801/merriman0825.htm
http://www.dhushara.com/book/genes/mhc.htm
Cached

LetterRip

[This message has been edited by LetterRip (edited October 01, 2002).]

Posts: 8287 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Camp
Member # 192

Thanks JTO and LR! Appreciate the info.

It makes you wonder if how the Pharoahs and European nobility often lived in isolation that allowed them to be attracted to their relatives (sister, in the case of the Pharoahs), in that they weren't really ever around them growing up?

Denelian
Member # 531

- posted      Profile for Denelian   Email Denelian   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
actually, from what i know of the Pharoahs, the desire to marry/breed with a sister was ingrained in them from birth - the same way that we ingrain a loathing of canabalism. we just assume that it WILL be this way, not talking about it or questioning it - and there was never in question in the mind of a Pharoah.

i have a better question - as genetic surgery and testing becomes available, will this make the incest taboo moot? change it to be those you are geneticly incompatable with? do nothing?

Posts: 1139 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Denelian
Member # 531

i think i scared everyone away with that last question (hehehe)
maniacal_engineer
Member # 116

- posted      Profile for maniacal_engineer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
it wont change our natures, just like the pill didn't. it takes generations for such things to occur to our DNA, and only if there is an advantage.
Posts: 962 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page