Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Islamic Court issues Death Sentence to Playwright

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Islamic Court issues Death Sentence to Playwright
Jon Camp
Member # 192

- posted      Profile for Jon Camp   Email Jon Camp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Michael Medved

I thought this part was interesting:

quote:
"We would warn individual Muslims not to try to carry it out," the sheikh helpfully explained. If Mr. McNally travels to an Islamic state, however, he certainly risks arrest and execution. "We do not believe in political assassination, but obviously he would face capital punishment," Bakri Muhammad affirmed. "He will be arrested and there will be capital punishment." He concluded that if Mr. McNally repented of his blasphemy he would still be killed, but his family would receive care and protection from the Islamic state. The only way that the condemned playwright himself could escape the fatal fatwa would be to undergo an immediate conversion to Islam.

I wish I knew more about the various sects of Islam. I'm gonna have to go start researching that. We hear about the Wahhabi, Sunni, and Shiite sects, but there've got to be more. There have to be "liberal" sects as well as these "hyper-conservative" ones. I can't imagine any of the "more liberal" ones ascribing to this at all. At least I certainly hope not.

Posts: 782 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian
Member # 588

- posted      Profile for Brian   Email Brian   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone know how that 'escape your fate by converting to Islam' thing works? I would have thought that they'd come down harder on a Muslim who blasphemed.
Posts: 359 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Baldar
Member # 669

- posted      Profile for Baldar   Email Baldar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You escape certain death and an Islamic Fatwah by converting to Islam and becoming a suicide bomber and then drive a truck into an embassy or some such thing. Clearly one has a free choice to decide here.
Posts: 3834 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page