Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Tachyons, God's Fingertip?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Tachyons, God's Fingertip?
KenBean
Member # 603

- posted      Profile for KenBean   Email KenBean   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Guys

I had reason to write a lady in Ireland yesterday who is truly bummed out by the sad world in India. She has tried to help, but got swept away by the complexities.

To ease one part of her mind, I found myself remembering a tantalizing scientific article I tripped over lately. It had to do with the idea that tachyons break all the commonly accepted laws of physics.

From what I could gather:
1. tachyons travel so fast that speed is in fact a non-issue. They are for all practical purposes infinitely (sp?) fast.
2. The article went on to say that if they are infinitely fast, then neither distance...OR TIME...has any meaning in their regard.
3. Once propagated, (however), they can be said to last an infinitely long "time"
because time has no relevance.

I lost the article before the implications soaked into my mind sufficiently, but talking to a physicist friend, he said casually: "Oh yeah, Bean, the ongoing studies of tachyons has shifted the thinking of the physics community, and the astronomer community also."

Well Guys, the question I would lay before you is this.

When one begins tossing around the word "infinite" can one legitimately begin to wonder if we have tripped over a facet of reality people call God?

Then I think: "Well if those tachyons can carry data, then Card's "ansible" (sp?) might be a sneaky glimpse at God's communications system." Sneaky devil, did he intimate that?

One begins thinking: Well, then those words, "omnicient", "omnipresent", etc. begin to have meaning.

Do humans begin transmitting tachyons at birth or sometime, and if so, could that be what has been called "the soul"?

Thoughts?

Best regards
Ken Bean

Posts: 1539 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 99

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Sneaky devil, did he intimate that?"

Yes. In fact, the last two Ender books are SPECIFICALLY an attempt to dress up certain elements of Mormon theology in sci-fi clothing.

[This message has been edited by TomDavidson (edited October 02, 2002).]

Posts: 22935 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayward Son
Member # 210

- posted      Profile for Wayward Son   Email Wayward Son   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I remember my physics correctly (or the novel "Timescape" by Greg Benford), tachyons are theoretical faster-than-light particles. (I believe one of Durac's equations showed that particles with mass could go either faster-than-light or slower-than-light, but never at the speed of light.) If they are going f.t.l., then time would go backwards for them. So the statements you made seem to be inaccurate in regards to tachyons.

However, light itself travels at the speed of light. (Duh! ) According to the Lorenz equation, when you reach the speed of light, distance becomes zero and so does time. So for light, there is no time nor distance. It's just one electron bumping another right next to it. (This is how I interpret the equations.)

Of course, with no time between cause and effect, light would not exist at all, rather than existing "infinitely."

Do you recall where you say the article?

Posts: 8681 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Everard
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wayward covered most of the important stuff.

One thing, though, is that tachyons are a necessary outgrowth of quantum mechanics. Part of what is required for interaction is the "knowledge" by the emitting particle that there will be a receptor on the receiving end before it can emit, which, if you think about it, requires faster then light travel, and this is expressed in various equations. Tachyons fill the "communication" role that is necessary for emission to occur in the universe.

As Wayward said, though, its speed of light that is unatainable by particles. Tachyons move in the reverse direction along the space-time fabric as "normal" particles.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the green man
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The real question is (in my mind, anyway)--how long will Moore's Law go on being a law? 10 years? (don't forget about quantum computing) 20 years? 100 years? 1000 years?

If Moore's law goes on for a thousand years, you'll be able to hold a computer with the literal Mind of God in the palm of your hand. Do the math.

God didn't make us. We're about to make God. Or whatever.

So did humanity create God sometime in the future as a result of Moore's Law? Did the newly created God create the Universe in which we now live? What a temporal paradox.

Hee hee. Had to mess with your minds a little.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JonathanTheOmnipotent
Member # 797

- posted      Profile for JonathanTheOmnipotent   Email JonathanTheOmnipotent   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As a being of omnipotence myself, I am not unfamiliar to these paradoxes--just the other day I willed into existence three rocks that I am unable to lift up.

Far be it from me, however, to upstage other omnipotent beings. I leave it up to this other, less corporeal abbot of the All Powerful to impart upon you wisdom accrued through the endless eons of time.

Posts: 237 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Falken224
Member # 684

- posted      Profile for Falken224     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I usually hate posts like the one I'm making now . . . but.

ROFL!

-Nate

Posts: 340 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian
Member # 588

- posted      Profile for Brian   Email Brian   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jonathan
You wouldn't happen to be related to Chiu Chun-Ling, would you?

[This message has been edited by Brian (edited October 03, 2002).]

Posts: 359 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JonathanTheOmnipotent
Member # 797

- posted      Profile for JonathanTheOmnipotent   Email JonathanTheOmnipotent   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, not related...I didn't even know who your were referring to, and I did a search on google that took me to a post on ornery...

But I've reminded you of him somehow?

Posts: 237 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page