Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Bumper stickers...and what they say about you.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bumper stickers...and what they say about you.
vegimo
Member # 6023

- posted      Profile for vegimo   Email vegimo       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't have any on my car except for the obligatory middle-school honor student proclamation (I asked my daughter if she wanted me to remove it since it is more than 5 years old, but she said she kind of likes still having it there). I do, however, enjoy the occasional novel concept that you might find there. What gets me, though, is the person who has conflicting views displayed in close proximity. Sometimes I wonder if they even understand what they are trying to say.

I was headed home the other day and saw stickers all over the back of a car. I made it a point to get close so I could peruse at the next light. When we stopped, I focused on two which happened to be right next to each other. One was "Celibrate Diversity", a fine concept. The other was "I was born right the first time". The only thing I could imagine was someone ranting,"We have to respect every person's right to do or say whatever they want...except for those a-holes over there." I wondered if they would even see the irony in the juxtaposition of the two were it presented to them.

I don't know, just made me chuckle to myself.

Posts: 255 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 945

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"born right the first time" seems to me like a response to the notion of needing to be "born again." I suppose you could stretch this to mean that born-again types ought to be repressed, but I don't really see it. I think the coherent interpretation is easier to arrive at: diversity is great, including the way I already am.
Posts: 6847 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hobsen
Member # 2923

- posted      Profile for hobsen   Email hobsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone have a bumper sticker announcing "I H8 Bumper Stickers?"
Posts: 4387 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vegimo
Member # 6023

- posted      Profile for vegimo   Email vegimo       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can see your point, scifibum. I still can't get the image of the ranter out of my head though, and it amuses me.
Posts: 255 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSRT
Member # 6454

- posted      Profile for PSRT   Email PSRT   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would put "I was born right the first time," on my car after being approached by a prosyltizer a number of times, perhaps, but I can't see any other reason for putting it on my car.
Posts: 2152 | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Greg Davidson
Member # 3377

- posted      Profile for Greg Davidson   Email Greg Davidson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mine used to be "Question Question Authority"
Posts: 4178 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chael
Member # 2436

- posted      Profile for Chael   Email Chael   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I inherited my car, and its sole bumper sticker. Then the car got totalled in my first car wreck. In the middle of moving a couple of weeks back, I came across a duplicate, and stuck it on my car for the famliarity factor. "Shift Happens."

It vaguely amuses me because I drive a manual.

I imagine that it says two things about me: I'm the child of hippies, and I occasionally have an awful sense of humor.

Posts: 872 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TommySama
Member # 2780

- posted      Profile for TommySama   Email TommySama       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My friends: "Jesus Is my Car Insurance".
Posts: 6396 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vegimo
Member # 6023

Three that we have, just not on the car:

"Unattended Children Will be Sold as Slaves"

"Jesus Loves You, Everyone Else Thinks You're an A-hole"

and

"My Other Car is a Mach V"

Rallan
Member # 1936

- posted      Profile for Rallan   Email Rallan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My favourites are fellow Australians who've got various "I ______ And I Vote" bumper stickers. Well bully for you chaps, but that sentiment kinda loses some of its impact in a country where everyone has to vote.
Posts: 2570 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aupton15
Member # 1771

- posted      Profile for aupton15   Email aupton15   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My favorite was when I saw the "Coexist" bumper sticker (where each letter is a different religious symbol) on a car that was swerving through traffic like a bat out of hell. Perhaps he thought religious tolerance meant killing people on the road with no regard to religious choice?
Posts: 1445 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
asmalls4
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for asmalls4   Email asmalls4       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have seen this on more than one occasion. It's not a bumper sticker but it really makes you wonder about the inner workings of these peoples brains. Those giant ball sacks hanging off the bumpers of trucks and suvs. Are you compensating for something?
Posts: 161 | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rallan
Member # 1936

- posted      Profile for Rallan   Email Rallan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by asmalls4:
I have seen this on more than one occasion. It's not a bumper sticker but it really makes you wonder about the inner workings of these peoples brains. Those giant ball sacks hanging off the bumpers of trucks and suvs. Are you compensating for something?

Dick humour isn't about overcompensating, it's about letting your inner twelve year old have a giggle.
Posts: 2570 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Adam Masterman
Member # 1142

- posted      Profile for Adam Masterman   Email Adam Masterman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A favorite among Buddhists (though I don't personally have it):

"You don't have to believe everything you think."

I suspect that's only funny to practitioners.

Adam

Posts: 4823 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cb
Member # 6179

- posted      Profile for cb   Email cb       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Agreed and bumped! [Wink]
Posts: 347 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seagull
Member # 694

- posted      Profile for seagull   Email seagull   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
War is not about who is right.
It is about who is left.

Posts: 1910 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LinuxFreakus
Member # 2395

- posted      Profile for LinuxFreakus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't do stickers, don't want to mess up the finish. I used to have a 1978 thunderbird which had a giant confederate flag sticker on the trunk lid when I got the car and no matter how much I tried to get it off, I could still faintly see it there the whole time I had it. Luckily, I don't think many people noticed, since it was pretty hard to see.
Posts: 1240 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page