Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Oldies re-recruiting (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Oldies re-recruiting
velcro
Member # 1216

- posted      Profile for velcro   Email velcro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey seagull,

As a rational informed conservative, can you please explain a few things to me?

-Sarah Palin
-Waterboarding as national policy
-The fact that 75% of people thought Iraq was involved in 9/11
-Why Clinton was impeached
-Why Dick Cheney claimed there was classified evidence of Iraqi nuclear weapons, when none existed
-Republican efforts to interrupt vote recounts in Florida in 2000

Because I can't really see endorsement of these things as rational, and I don't see how anyone can associate themselves with a party that endorses these things.

If you are a conservative that is disillusioned with the Republican Party, I think we probably would agree on fundamental issues, and just disagree on ways of implementing them.

Maybe this ought to be another thread. If you are so inclined, I would be happy to discuss it with you. If not, I understand.

Posts: 2096 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pete at Home
Member # 429

- posted      Profile for Pete at Home   Email Pete at Home   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Why Clinton was impeached"

Dude, that's not rational; that's politics. Do you seriously think that Dems would have not impeached a Republican president under the same fact pattern if the shoe was on the other foot?

Besides, an attorney-turned president who perjured himself in court? That's a far better reason to impeach than they had for Andrew Johnson.

Posts: 44193 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pete at Home
Member # 429

- posted      Profile for Pete at Home   Email Pete at Home   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Republican efforts to interrupt vote recounts in Florida in 2000"

They weren't vote recounts. They stated methodologies which included looking at votes in other races and determining from that the "clear intent of the voter" even if there was no actual mark on the ballot in the presidential race. That's not a count. That's election fraud. And there's something fishy when they keep re-counting and recounting the same ballots, and every time it's more and more votes for the Democrats. How can you rationally not try to stop that process? It's like we all died and went to South Africa, where the votes are recounted until the party in power wins.

Posts: 44193 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seagull
Member # 694

- posted      Profile for seagull   Email seagull   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Velcro,

I started the other thread as you suggested.

BTW, I said I think of myself as conservative. I did not say I was a republican. I may agree with republicans more often than with democrats but I do not trust politicians from either party.

Posts: 1910 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pete at Home
Member # 429

Hey Seagull. Do you know the difference between Republicans and Democrats? Republicans want the government to purchase 12 thousand dollar toilet seats through the military. Democrats want to do it through the National Endowment for the Arts.

[ November 11, 2009, 12:06 AM: Message edited by: Pete at Home ]

seekingprometheus
Member # 3043

- posted      Profile for seekingprometheus   Email seekingprometheus   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
As a rational informed conservative, can you please explain a few things to me?

-Sarah Palin
-Waterboarding as national policy
-The fact that 75% of people thought Iraq was involved in 9/11
-Why Clinton was impeached
-Why Dick Cheney claimed there was classified evidence of Iraqi nuclear weapons, when none existed
-Republican efforts to interrupt vote recounts in Florida in 2000

Because I can't really see endorsement of these things as rational, and I don't see how anyone can associate themselves with a party that endorses these things.

Hmm.

I don't think it very rational to require interlocutors to justify any and every event with which their ideology can be associated as a conditional term of a civil discussion.

Posts: 3654 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
velcro
Member # 1216

- posted      Profile for velcro   Email velcro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I was tired last night, and realize the tone of my post was a little too agressive. I apologize. However, if Democrats were to endorse any of those items (or the equivalent) I would no longer associate myself with them.

I'll vacate to the new thread now.

Posts: 2096 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seagull
Member # 694

- posted      Profile for seagull   Email seagull   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone know what happened to Baldar?

Please do not ask such questions, Seagull. So far as I know, Baldar is gone. But if he is here under another name, and wants you to know, he can tell you as did Koner. If he is here and has not told you, most probably he does not want you to know. So please respect other member's privacy.

[ November 14, 2009, 05:43 PM: Message edited by: OrneryMod ]

Posts: 1910 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 99

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Um...Hobsen, did you just modify someone else's post to include the answer to his question? Why would you do that?
Posts: 22935 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seagull
Member # 694

Sorry,
I had no intention of violating anyone's privacy.
I have not been around for a long time and I was simply wondering if there was some thread out there (similar to Koner's) that would provide information on what happened to Baldar and if he was here under a different name.

Since I have not posted my own personal information on this board there would be no easy way for Baldar (if he were here) to tell me even if he wanted to.

---

Tom,
Yes, OrneryMod did modify my post to eliminate a speculation/joke that I made which in retrospect may or may not have been too close to the truth.

I would not have thought that hobsen's edit of my post was an answer to my question if it were not for your post.

I would completely understand if everything under the "---" above was to be edited away as well.

kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

- posted      Profile for kenmeer livermaile   Email kenmeer livermaile       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah. Now it makes sense. For a minute there i thought hobbes was having an attack of, oh, I don't know what. Now his actions make apparently prudent sense.
Posts: 23297 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hobsen
Member # 2923

- posted      Profile for hobsen   Email hobsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A couple of days ago I spent what seemed like half the day erasing posts by people who were revealing the new identities of members who used to post under another name, and for one reason or another want to keep that fact secret. In this case I did not provide an answer to Seagull's question, but it seemed harmless to say I had no information. I left the question as an example of what not to ask.

This is a thread I am reluctant to lock because there is nothing wrong with people contacting former members by email to see if they might be interested in returning. But if anyone happens to know some other member used to post under another name, use a little common sense and do not reveal that unless he has mentioned it publicly himself, as NewYooper did. Seagull's question is not bad in itself, but it may encourage someone to say, "Oh, Baldar posts as TomDavidson now." And if you have been trying to hide that fact, Tom, you will not be pleased.

[ November 14, 2009, 08:25 PM: Message edited by: hobsen ]

Posts: 4387 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

- posted      Profile for kenmeer livermaile   Email kenmeer livermaile       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It has been a disturbing practice I've seen since I first crawled aboard in late '03 (?). Identities shared in confidence are deliberately or thoughtlessly revealed to the general readership.

I assume that the identities hobsen mentioned above granted permission to be revealed?

Well, if I'D once posted as Baldar, I would be embarrassed too. [Wink] Just for the D&D/S&S ring of it.

But it is poetically apt to the subject at hand:

What Odin whispered In Baldr's ear,
Not god nor man Was nigh to hear.
What Odin whispered, Bending low,
No one knowth Or e're shall know.

Posts: 23297 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tonylovern
Member # 2580

- posted      Profile for tonylovern   Email tonylovern   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Oh, Baldar posts as TomDavidson now."
and denelian posts as g2. [Razz]
Posts: 1045 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andrewski
Member # 758

- posted      Profile for andrewski     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Huh? What?
Posts: 90 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hobsen
Member # 2923

- posted      Profile for hobsen   Email hobsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Both identifications are presumably jocular, not fact.
Posts: 4387 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

"I'm Batman."
tonylovern
Member # 2580

- posted      Profile for tonylovern   Email tonylovern   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yes, definitely joking.
Posts: 1045 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pete at Home
Member # 429

Kenmeer and I swap accounts every fortnight, to see if anyone notices.
cherrypoptart
Member # 3942

- posted      Profile for cherrypoptart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It made me laugh to think that Baldar might not want you to know that he is Tom Davidson IRL. Not sure if I got that right, but I can empathize. I'm sure Zobbar and Thorion wouldn't want you to know that IRL they are cherrypoptart either.
Posts: 7675 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seagull
Member # 694

Anyone here miss ARaviv?
KE
Member # 6535

- posted      Profile for KE   Email KE   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Viking_Longship:
quote:
Redskull, WarsawPact, KenBean, Daruma, G2, all refuse to admit that elements of their ideology are wrong, even when confronted with facts. More frustrating, they deny that absence of supporting facts is a weakness in their arguments.

That's the difference between playing to win and playing to learn. At least two of those people you mention always play to win. (And a lot of us, myself included, tend to shift into that mode when confronted.)
I think Viking should be credited with a phrase that should be the Ornery motto and kept in the hearts and minds of all true Ornery Americans: "At OA we play to learn!" [Smile]

Other fun ideas:

Play to learn or go home! [Smile]

You can win the battle but lose the war if you don't learn nothin.

Learning isn't everything, it's the only thing!

Just Learn Baby!

Learners never quit, and quitters never learn!

And one for the conservatives:
One of these days when things are going bad and the breaks are beating the boys, tell'em to go out there and Learn one for the Gipper! [Smile]

I could go on but I think y'all get Viking's drift.

KE

[ November 15, 2009, 02:19 AM: Message edited by: KE ]

Posts: 202 | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hobsen
Member # 2923

Very good, KE.
seagull
Member # 694

KE,

How many names do you have?
KnightEnder, BobDylanThomas, KE?

OrneryMod, Are we allowed to have more than one identity for one person IRL?

Pete at Home
Member # 429

One for each clinically identified personality, with a notarized psychiatrist's note sent to hobsen.
hobsen
Member # 2923

Seagull, Ornery members may have as many identities as they find convenient, so long as they do not use more than one at a time. KnightEnder has been blocked by the system, and BobDylanThomas was banned yesterday by me at KE's request, so KE is using only one identity right now. And since everyone calls him KE anyway, that seems a good solution.

Otherwise some members have been given permission by OrneryMod to maintain home and work identities at the same time. Since I have never granted that, I cannot definitely say why, but it could be because their home email address is blocked at work. And while there is indeed a rule against maintaining more than one identity at a time, I myself would not impose any penalty for doing so unless the purpose is to deceive someone. Using names like "Dave at Home" and "Dave at Work" is unlikely to cause confusion, whether a member remembers to get formal permission or not. So if such an infraction came to my attention, I suppose I should invoke OrneryMod's superhuman powers to grant permission retroactively, perhaps with a post to inform members that had been done.

EDanaII
Member # 1062

- posted      Profile for EDanaII   Email EDanaII   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been meaning to comment on this too. I don't have a problem with members having different identities one at a time, but if I'm reading correctly, we have someone else posting as TomD? That seems to me a clear violation of the rules: assuming an already established identity.

If I'm missing something here, please clue me in.

Ed.

Posts: 3504 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSRT
Member # 6454

- posted      Profile for PSRT   Email PSRT   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was a joke.
Posts: 2152 | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EDanaII
Member # 1062

- posted      Profile for EDanaII   Email EDanaII   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since I didn't have time to read the whole thread, I thought I was likely missing something. Thanks.
Posts: 3504 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pete at Home
Member # 429

quote:
Originally posted by EDanaII:
I've been meaning to comment on this too. I don't have a problem with members having different identities one at a time, but if I'm reading correctly, we have someone else posting as TomD? That seems to me a clear violation of the rules: assuming an already established identity.

That's a state secret, and you should not have asked. If you look outside your window right now you'll see a van pulling up with a bunch of nice men coming in to take you to GTMO.
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

I think it would increase the quality of communication if we posted under as many names as we liked.

We would then be less concerned about shooting messengers and more concerned with comprehending the messages.

Pete at Home
Member # 429

Exactly. Plus Kenmeer and I could stop pretending to be separate people.
seagull
Member # 694

I'd hate to see Pete banned for admitting that he is Kenmeer.

I can say that with a straight face and it is still funny.

simplybiological
Member # 1344

- posted      Profile for simplybiological   Email simplybiological   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aw, I googled my old email address and found this thread. It's nice to be wanted. I never check my yahoo email address so I missed whatever KE sent me.

I'm not in touch with SG (except insofar as we are facebook friends, but whatever) but I am in semi-contact with zyne. I'll pass along the message to her, but she reproduced recently and isn't likely to have a lot of time to drop by.

I'll consider posting again if/when I have time, but I have found myself lacking in things to say in the last couple years. Teaching 9th grade does that to you.

Hope everyone is doing well. [Smile]

Posts: 1742 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LetterRip
Member # 310

- posted      Profile for LetterRip   Email LetterRip   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi SB,

great to see you again.

Would be cool to hear from zyne as well.

There are still a half dozen or so other old ornery members would be awesome to see around again

Warsawpact, FIJC, and a young israeli kid whos name I've forgotten (he was only here for the first year or so), are at the top of my list.

LetterRip

Posts: 8287 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
simplybiological
Member # 1344

- posted      Profile for simplybiological   Email simplybiological   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I dropped Zyne a note that she's wanted back. We'll see if she shows up.
Posts: 1742 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pete at Home
Member # 429

Welcome back, sb! Delighted to see you again, and also at the prospect of Zyne coming back!
Redskullvw
Member # 188

- posted      Profile for Redskullvw   Email Redskullvw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Warm fuzzythread. They are important too.
Posts: 6333 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jordan
Member # 2159

- posted      Profile for Jordan   Email Jordan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One day I might get over the loss of pickledshuttlecock. He was a sweetheart and one of the best writers I've known. [Frown]
Posts: 2147 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Funean
Member # 2345

- posted      Profile for Funean   Email Funean   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can't he be threatened or blackmailed or something?
Posts: 5277 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page