Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » How old were you / your kids when they read Ender's game?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How old were you / your kids when they read Ender's game?
seagull
Member # 694

- posted      Profile for seagull   Email seagull   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How old do you think kids need to be to read Ender's game?

How old were you when you First read Ender's game?

If you have kids, I'd like to know how old they were when they first read Ender's game. I'd love to hear more reactions like the ones in the introduction to the paperback edition (March 1991 in my copy). If you are a kid let us know what you think.

I was 19 when I read ender's game for the first time. I wish I had read it earlier. I read it at least 5 time (years apart) since then.

Posts: 1910 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
threads
Member # 5091

- posted      Profile for threads   Email threads   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think I read it in 6th or 7th grade so that would put me at 11 or 12. Reading level and interest in books are probably better factors to consider than age. I could definitely see kids reading it earlier than I did.

[ November 05, 2009, 09:17 AM: Message edited by: threads ]

Posts: 778 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JWatts
Member # 6523

- posted      Profile for JWatts   Email JWatts   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't remember exactly, but I know I was still in high school. It came out in 1985 and I read it in a library hardback edition, so I'd say I was 16.

It still remains an awesome book.

Posts: 4700 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clark
Member # 2727

- posted      Profile for Clark   Email Clark   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think I was 12. Certainly between 11 and 13 (inclusive). I think that was a pretty good age to read it for the first time.

My daughter is not yet 2 years old, so I haven't pushed it on her yet. It'll be there on the shelf waiting for her whenever she chooses to read it.

Posts: 420 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cb
Member # 6179

- posted      Profile for cb   Email cb       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was 16 and then I read everything OSC wrote at that point and then came the years of waiting for the next book in each of his series. I wish I'd come across OSC after all his series were finished! [Razz] Oh the frustration that would have saved! [LOL]

I've tried to get my children interested in OSC but the only one they seemed to get into was OSC's novelization of "The Abyss". Maybe when they are older.

[ November 05, 2009, 01:50 PM: Message edited by: cb ]

Posts: 347 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TommySama
Member # 2780

- posted      Profile for TommySama   Email TommySama       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Same as threads, I was in 7th grade, so like 13 or so
Posts: 6396 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 945

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm. Don't remember. Probably 12-14.
Posts: 6847 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seagull
Member # 694

- posted      Profile for seagull   Email seagull   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My older son started reading Ender's game after I told him why one of my RPG online characters is called EnderGed (seagull and ender were already in use).

I would have thought the EarthSea trilogy would be easier for a young reader but I don't tell them what to read, I just try to make it available and see what they like. He liked Ender's game so much that he went on to read Speaker for the dead as well (which has much harder concepts for young kids to deal with).

Now my younger son (3rd grader) wants to read about Ender too. I got him to start with "the polish boy" in "first meetings" which is about a 5 year old boy and now we are reading Ender's game together. He is having difficulties with a word or two on each page and he likes to read it together so I am having fun reading it again with him an getting yet another perspective.

Posts: 1910 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 945

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That will be fun, someday sharing my favorite books. It was already fun with Go Dog, Go!
Posts: 6847 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

- posted      Profile for kenmeer livermaile   Email kenmeer livermaile       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Posts: 23297 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aupton15
Member # 1771

- posted      Profile for aupton15   Email aupton15   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had an otherwise awful sci-fi lit class in college. Speaker was actually the assigned reading, but I liked it so much I went back and read Ender's Game, told all my friends about it, and have read most of the books in the series multiple times.
Posts: 1445 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michelle
Member # 3237

- posted      Profile for Michelle   Email Michelle       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ender's Game wass on the required reading list for my son the summer he started middle school (twelve), but my son had read it already in the fourth grade when he was ten. I read it then, as well, because the only way I could get my son to read a book was to hard-sell something I had already read. OSC messed up my already fragile system.

Um...my son read it, reread it, and refused to do a book report on anything but Ender's Game til high school.

I actually stumbled on this site back then, hoping to find some clue on how to straighten my son out, and get him to try other books. Lol.

I don't remember ever seeing the 1991 edition's foreword, but I do remember my son dressed in fatigue's and had his own neighborhood squad going for a couple years. I should dig the picture of them all suited up, carrying their carved plywood rifles (compliments of a neighborhood dad) and their shoeboxes full of plastic, military men. My son must have felt like Ender: he was very muscular, but short compared to the other boys, while also being the youngest in the group. I have to say his fascination with the battle games was nerve-racking. There are several pine trees in the community, and he wouldn't quit climbing them till he was at the top, where he could get the 'feel' of at least swaying. Scared me to death.

My son is seventeen now, and I know last year he said that he wants to see real people doing the battle games. He doesn't want to see an animation version, if OSC ever finalizes a movie production.

You could say he has dreamed of that room for years.

I'll go see if I can find a picture of the squad.

Posts: 800 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page