Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Clinton's impeachment: where can we find transcripts of congress sessions?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Clinton's impeachment: where can we find transcripts of congress sessions?
seagull
Member # 694

- posted      Profile for seagull   Email seagull   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember watching C-Span in December 1998 just before the voting on Clinton's impeachment. There was a group of female democratic legislators who came up to the podium in rapid succession to protest the fact that the commander-in-chief was being impeached at a time when our soldiers were in harm's way.

Does anyone know where we could find transcripts of those sessions?

Posts: 1717 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hobsen
Member # 2923

- posted      Profile for hobsen   Email hobsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That does sound planned, probably because the Democrats thought that having women speak would work better than Clinton being defended by Ted Kennedy. And while the impeachment was a waste of money and time, the claim it led to neglect of the military is absurd. Congress does most of its work in committees, and those were attending to military needs even while the impeachment occupied the public stage. Sorry I have no link, but the proceedings do sound sort of fun for lovers of history.
Posts: 4350 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seagull
Member # 694

- posted      Profile for seagull   Email seagull   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The department of defense wanted to bomb Iraq for months before the impeachment hearing but they only got permission from Clinton on December 16, 1998.

Does that sound planned?

The bombing stopped once the vote on the impeachment was over. That made me wonder why the commander in chief sent our pilots into harm's way in the first place.

Posts: 1717 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seagull
Member # 694

I would really like to find out the names of the democratic legislators who protested that the commander-in-chief should not be criticized during a time of war.

I wonder if any of them expressed embrassment at the way they were manipulated when they found out that the war stopped as soon as the vote was over.

I wonder if any of them made similar (or opposite) protests when Bush was commander-in-chief.

I am not as informed about this matter as I would like to be. I am not sure how to go about looking for that information (it is not my field of expertese). Can anybody here help?

[ November 13, 2009, 01:30 AM: Message edited by: seagull ]

hobsen
Member # 2923

- posted      Profile for hobsen   Email hobsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd look at the following, and then follow the link at the bottom to the GPO - Government Printing Office I imagine - site.

http://www.senate.gov/reference/Index/Impeachment.htm

That took place years ago, so the full transcripts may never have been posted on the Web. On the other hand they may have, and a search engine could probably turn them up if so.

Edited to add: or phone your local library to speak to a reference librarian who knows this stuff.

[ November 13, 2009, 02:13 AM: Message edited by: hobsen ]

Posts: 4350 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IrishTD
Member # 2216

- posted      Profile for IrishTD   Email IrishTD   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Might also try to find the Congressional Record which (IIRC) is supposed to have transcripts of debates and such. However, I have seen discussion suggesting that this can be manipulated to a certain extent.
Posts: 825 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seagull
Member # 694

Thanks hobsen and IrishTD,

I remember that there were more female legislators than there were democratic female senators and that it was during the bombing (which puts it around December 1998 (not Feb 1999) so it must have been the house not the senate.

I found these in the Congressional record for that period:
December 18 1998
December 19 1998

It contains many references to the "commander in chief" by both democrats and republicans but I could not find the "group of female democratic legislators who came up to the podium in rapid succession" anywhere in those two days.

Is there any other place where that session could have been recorded?

[ November 13, 2009, 09:16 PM: Message edited by: seagull ]

Michelle
Member # 3237

- posted      Profile for Michelle   Email Michelle       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Clinton's Presidential Library?
Posts: 800 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

- posted      Profile for kenmeer livermaile   Email kenmeer livermaile       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think they're in the reference shelves in the Peckerwood Room?
Posts: 23297 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michelle
Member # 3237

- posted      Profile for Michelle   Email Michelle       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by kenmeer livermaile:
I think they're in the reference shelves in the Peckerwood Room?

You think I will google Peckerwood, don't ya?
Posts: 800 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

- posted      Profile for kenmeer livermaile   Email kenmeer livermaile       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, only via google images. [Wink]
Posts: 23297 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

scary but funny
Michelle
Member # 3237

Go Fish
seagull
Member # 694

Thanks Michelle.
But these are for Senators on Feb 12, 1999.
I am looking for Congresswomen on or around Dec 19, 1998.

[ November 14, 2009, 05:51 PM: Message edited by: seagull ]

Michelle
Member # 3237

Here's a link to the video footage for Dec 19th 1998 on C-span
I didn't find on either day a 'rapid succession' of congresswomen.

Those that mentioned the troops over the two days of debate that I could locate:
Maxime Walters- D-Cal
Carolyn Filpatrick - D-Michigan
Julia Carson - D-Indiana
Juanita W. McDonald D - California

There was a request to adjourn because the nation was at war, but the request was made by a congressman. There was a seventeen minute vote following the request (December 18th.) Maxime Walters spoke prior to the request.

I tried. [Smile]

seagull
Member # 694

Thanks Michelle,

I remember that Maxine waters(sp?) was one of the spreakers and that it did happen just before a vote (because I tuned in to C-span to see the results of the vote).

My memory is that someone (probably Waters) kept yielding 30 seconds to each of the other congresswomen which made it look a bit like a relay race.

I'll try to find it in the video's.

Michelle
Member # 3237

It happened towards the beginning of the first day -- December 18th. Maxime Waters (you were right on the spelling. [Wink] ) yielded the floor to the congressman who ask for the adjournment.

[ November 16, 2009, 01:51 PM: Message edited by: Michelle ]

Michelle
Member # 3237

You know this is going to bug me till I find this myself!

Maxime Waters did not speak at the time I assumed she had. I'm sorry for the mix-up. I could have sworn she yielded to Congressman Bonior, from Michigan, but he appears at the 7:45 mark, and before him, is Rep. Eleanor Norton from DC at the 4:53 mark. Very odd.

I did notice mischief with the transcripts. For example, there's a republican congressman from Texas, who speaks and his first word in the audio version is 'gentlemen' , but in the lil text box, it reads 'jerks'.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page