Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Neck pain

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Neck pain
0Megabyte
Member # 1217

- posted      Profile for 0Megabyte   Email 0Megabyte       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am pretty much certain I slept wrong when I took a nap on Tuesday, because my neck has been in growing pain ever since.

I can't really turn my head far to the right, and very little at all to the left due to the pain in the right side of the back part of my neck.

It feels like the muscles are tense or pulled or something, and it won't get better, and the worst of all is when I try to lay in bed, that's when the pain gets worst and I really just can't stand it anymore does anyone know anything about how to fix this I just want to sleep.

Posts: 2668 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seagull
Member # 694

- posted      Profile for seagull   Email seagull   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had neck pain but never that bad.
If you can't sleep you might want to look for your symptoms at: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/neck-pain/DS00542

Posts: 1910 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 1217

- posted      Profile for 0Megabyte   Email 0Megabyte       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, comparing to symptoms on that particular link, I can touch my chin to my chest with minimal problem. I can roll my head rather easily, starting from my chin on my chest and then clockwise and counterclockwise. The main problem there is pain at around 3 o'clock on that circle, though I can do it.

Turning my head directly to the right more than a little is difficult, to the point it hampers checking my sides in driving. The same with turning to the left, but once again that's due to pain from the right side, and is almost worse.

At the moment the pain reliever might be helping my mobility, or at least decreasing the pain slightly (Equate brand, 2 500 mg caplets of aacetaminophen active ingredient)

It might just be the pain reliever, but I can walk fine, and turn my head a bit to the left and to the right, a little better than earlier actually, though any sudden, jerking motion causes a sharp pain. Stiffness is there regardless, though. The pain is only at the spots in my neck, it doesn't radiate anywhere else. That is, nothing in my back, shoulders, higher in my head, etc. Only the neck, only the muscles there. It's sharp, but in a manner that reminds me of pulled muscles in the past, and sore in the manner of pulled muscles that I recall. There's no real weakness, I can hold my head just fine, and looking at me you wouldn't be able to tell, no large contusions I can see and my head is up straight as normal. In fact, holding it straight is the most comfortable position, without bending it to either side.

Importantly, driving in a car is difficult due to the many sudden motions. Any tension, such as tensing the body (specifically the muscles in my neck that are in pain, though I can tense any other part of my body without problems) due to breaking, or a sudden jerking causes a sharp pain. The forces of inertia cause enough strain to cause the occasional spike of pain while driving as well.

So, like right now, while sitting with good posture especially, it isn't so bad and I can just feel a small amount of tension and soreness. Laying in bed, however, with my head on a pillow, is vastly less tolerable. Last night laying on my back, my head straight worked fine, tonight it's less helpful. Getting up is unpleasant due to having to move my head a bit from its position on the bed, so I've been reluctant to hop back into bed. After being in bed for awhile and then getting up is when the pain was worst, in fact.

I am not surprised, because I know for a fact that I slept wrong the other day, and several of my family members saw me during that fateful nap, with very unusual and quite terrible sleeping posture. In fact, when I woke up then I felt a sharp, though not intense, pain, though it was not all that bad until the next morning, after sleeping on it more normally.

There is some soreness on the left side, in approximately the same position as the right, though the extent is much, much less.

However, keep in mind my current assessment is based on my current feelings, after taking what's essentially off-brand Tylenol. The pain was worse before, though motion was essentially the same, albeit with more pain.

Posts: 2668 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

- posted      Profile for kenmeer livermaile   Email kenmeer livermaile       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you have insurance or $$, I recommend getting a referral from your doctor to a Physical Therapist trained in strain/counterstrain methods.
Posts: 23297 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 945

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Been there (or at least 70% there. Yours sounds somewhat worse). [Frown]

I'd switch to ibuprofen instead of acetaminophen when it is time to take the next dose, use a heat pack in the region, and consider kl's advice.

(I know lots of people who will prescribe for themselves an 800mg dose of ibuprofen when they feel it is warranted. Of course you should probably not take prescriptions from random guys on the Internet.)

[ November 13, 2009, 12:15 PM: Message edited by: scifibum ]

Posts: 6847 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

- posted      Profile for kenmeer livermaile   Email kenmeer livermaile       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Such neck strains very often have a chronic muscular/posture imbalance foundation. PT, especially strain/counterstrain, addresses that and gives you tools to keep things closer to balance than not for the rest of your life.
Posts: 23297 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 945

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, there you have it. Next time, I'm taking kl's advice.
Posts: 6847 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IrishTD
Member # 2216

- posted      Profile for IrishTD   Email IrishTD   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
scifi-

ibuprofen and acetaminophen can be taken at the same time (in fact, this isn't unusual). they're filtered by different organs, and IIRC, take different approaches to pain.

also, 800mg ibuprofen isn't an unusual dose (generally, this is 4 advil), *should* only do it 3x/day though. It's a very common prescription as an anti-inflammatory (rarely filled since generic ibuprofen is dirt cheap).

Posts: 825 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 945

Yeah, I know. I was just being cautious about dispensing dispensary advice I'm not actually qualified to dispense. [Wink]
TommySama
Member # 2780

- posted      Profile for TommySama   Email TommySama       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hopefully you don't have the virus I had this summer.
Posts: 6396 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 1217

Okay, update:

Neck is back to about 90% of normal motion, with some stiffness remaining and pain when I go too far. Sharp movements still cause pain, but last night I slept just fine, without any pain at all. Even the pain of moving to the 90% is diminished, and things are much closer to normal. In a couple more days at this rate it should be pretty much gone, or so I hope.

It's definitely a temporary thing, though the pain at the time really did bug me.

Kuato
Member # 6445

- posted      Profile for Kuato   Email Kuato       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mega, get to a chiropractor. I have my neck seize up every few months, due to an old injury. They crack it, I ice it, and I'm all better again. When I delay treatment, it can get so bad I cannot move my head at all--- the last time I delayed I couldn't move the head left, right, up or down. I had to go to the ER which gave me muscle relaxants (g'night!) and they all basically said, Why the heck didn't you go to the chiropractor? I felt foolish.

It can't hurt and likely is exactly what you need.

[ November 15, 2009, 01:13 PM: Message edited by: Kuato ]

Posts: 1038 | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 1217

Luckily it's feeling even better now than I mentioned yesterday. I can turn my head fully with almost no pain at all, the tension is almost gone, and it's only the tiniest bit sore.

I think it's gonna be okay... it really was just a bad strain, and I'm glad it's already nearly gone. By tomorrow or the next day I think I'll be completely back to normal.

Still. Man, did it hurt!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page