Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Question?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Question?
Audasity
Member # 805

- posted      Profile for Audasity   Email Audasity   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While sitting in my Chemistry class today we came upon a formula in which gave me an interesting theory.

We were talking about Hydro-Carbons. Now we use Hydro-carbons every day, in many different ways~ but the one thing that caught my eye was the fact that if you burn a hydrocarbon in a plentiful amount of oxygen the outcome will always equal carbon dioxide and water.

How here is the simple formula for the burning of octane (gasoline)

C8H18 + 12 1/2 O2 ------> 8 CO2 + 9 H2O

Now when you burn a hydro carbon in a limited amount of Oxygen, instead of coming out with the end result being Carbon dioxide and water you come out with Carbon Monoxide and water~

C8H18 + 8 1/2 O2----> 8CO + 9H2O

So now here is my question, wouldn't be possible to devise some sort of new engine for cars so that there is a greater oxygen intake, thus no longer emitting dangerous carbon monoxide gases into the air~ and seeing as I am probably not the only person to think this, Why haven’t car companies already done so? Do you think that they haven’t because the cost to do something like this may be higher than profit, even though I don’t see why people wouldn’t want to purchase cars that are more helpful to the environment, thus heightening their profit.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maniacal_engineer
Member # 116

- posted      Profile for maniacal_engineer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the reaction has to happen within the time available at the top of the stroke, so some of the gas doesn't burn. But the catalytic converter takes care of it.
The problem is that 1) there is nitrogen in the air which can result in NOx and 2) everyone is getting all bent out of shape about CO2 because of the greenhouse thing. I know of some biological sources of greenhouse gasses that I wouldnt mind seeing disappear (how can you see things disappear?) Tom Metzger and Al Sharpton come to mind.

Posts: 962 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Locus
Member # 540

- posted      Profile for Locus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I expect the most substantial outcome of adding huge amounts of carbon to the system will be (long term) a richer assortment of life. Nature doesn't leave readily available raw materials laying around for long.

Most of that will be in microbial form ...all sorts of delicious new diseases in the pipeline

Posts: 678 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page