Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Korea

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Korea
Everard
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There was a cartoon in the globe today, the gist of which is that we have no idea why North Korea stated they have a nuclear program.

Are they trying to threaten us or someone else? Are they trying to open a diologue? Whats going on?

There was also an editorial which I will link to here, that I happen to at least partially agree with. http://www.boston.com/dailyglobe2/291/editorials/Pyongyang_s_surprise+.shtml

My feeling is that Korea is trying to open up a conversation with the United States, and that saying they have a nuclear weapons program is their way of saying "Ok, neither of us have lived up to our treaty agreements. Lets start over." I could easily be wrong, however.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maniacal_engineer
Member # 116

- posted      Profile for maniacal_engineer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think they fessed up because they got caught.

Posts: 962 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JonathanTheOmnipotent
Member # 797

- posted      Profile for JonathanTheOmnipotent   Email JonathanTheOmnipotent   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe they're jealous of all the attention we're giving Iraq.
Posts: 237 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tom Grey - Tigger
Member # 741

- posted      Profile for Tom Grey - Tigger   Email Tom Grey - Tigger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The conclusion of the linked article:
quote:
Pyongyang has put its covert nuclear program on the table for negotiation. Particularly since Bush must realize that the options of bombing, sanctions, and war are all out of the question, he ought to explore North Korea's invitation to a dialogue and disregard Pyongyang's macho manners.

I think it was the US that accused the North, and provided evidence first; and the North is just admitting the evidence is not false. This Globe article seems to want to say it's the North's initiative.

I think, adding my ignorance here, it's more likely the North saying they DON'T want to be a target like Iraq is. And Bush et. al. isn't sure what the best policy for US interests are among the few, poor choices now available.

Posts: 493 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Everard
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The one real problem with that analysis is we've been accusing them for years. Why now do they fess up?
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page