Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Palin out of the running in 2012 (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Palin out of the running in 2012
G2
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sarah Palin will become a Fox News analyst having signed a multi-year deal as a political commentator:
quote:
The network confirmed that Ms. Palin will appear on the network’s programming on a regular basis as part of a multi-year deal. Financial terms were not disclosed.

Ms. Palin will not have her own regular program, one person familiar with the deal said, though she will host an occasional series that will run on the network from time to time. This person would not elaborate, but the network does have a precedent for such a series. Oliver L. North is the host of an occasionally running documentary series on the military called “War Stories.”

To set up a run for the White House, she'd have to start building her campaign team around this time next year. If she's signed a multi-year deal, it strongly indicates she's not aiming at 2012. Although, it's still early; she could have some escape clause to allow her to go for it but for right now G2 thinks she's off the table as far as contenders for the Republican nomination go.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clark
Member # 2727

- posted      Profile for Clark   Email Clark   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank goodness.
Posts: 420 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JWatts
Member # 6523

- posted      Profile for JWatts   Email JWatts   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's probably a good fit for her. While popular she's not really up to the Presidential level.

Of course neither is Joe Biden, but hopefully that will never be an issue.

Posts: 4700 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattP
Member # 2763

- posted      Profile for MattP   Email MattP   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dang.
Posts: 3481 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayward Son
Member # 210

- posted      Profile for Wayward Son   Email Wayward Son   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pity. I thought she'd be our best 5/8-term President ever. [Smile]
Posts: 8681 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSRT
Member # 6454

- posted      Profile for PSRT   Email PSRT   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
If she's signed a multi-year deal, it strongly indicates she's not aiming at 2012.
Precedent suggests she doesn't really care about fulfilling the length of her contract.
Posts: 2152 | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
G2
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by PSRT:
quote:
If she's signed a multi-year deal, it strongly indicates she's not aiming at 2012.
Precedent suggests she doesn't really care about fulfilling the length of her contract.
[FootInMouth]
I think your boy Barry didn't quite fill out his senate term either. Will you be painting him with the same brush? Yeah, I bet not ...

PSRT
Member # 6454

- posted      Profile for PSRT   Email PSRT   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't like Obama much, either.

That said, I do see a difference between taking a new job when you earn that job with the support of the people who gave you the contract you left unfulfilled, vs simply walking away from a job.

Posts: 2152 | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
G2
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by PSRT:
Don't like Obama much, either.

That said, I do see a difference between taking a new job when you earn that job with the support of the people who gave you the contract you left unfulfilled, vs simply walking away from a job.

oh, that's just spin. It's a time honored tradition for politicians to leave the office they currently have to run for others. G2 really doesn't care, the new boss is always waiting in the wings to fill the shoes of the old boss and they are indeed all the same.

What's in play here is the long term. Palin now has a national platform to reach out to her base and beyond and she gets to do that without the filter of MSNBC, CBS, ABC, CNN and the rest of the liberal media. People will now see her for who she really is rather than the spin from apparatchiks of the DNC.

Sarah Palin is only 45 years old. In 2016 she'll be only 51 and 55 for 2020. 4-8 years to recreate her image in a controlled media environment could put her in a very strong position down the road.

[ January 11, 2010, 06:29 PM: Message edited by: G2 ]

scifibum
Member # 945

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
oh, that's just spin.
Something in this thread has some appreciable angular momentum, but I don't think it's PSRT's post.

Palin up and quit.

Obama got promoted.

Posts: 6847 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
G2
unregistered

I see ... failing to serve out your term if you think you can get elected to another office is OK. Failing to serve out your term when you think it's in the interests of the people you serve to step down is bad. I think it has a whole lot more to do with party affiliation. But hey, if you feel good about it then that's what's really important here isn't it? [Roll Eyes]
Wayward Son
Member # 210

- posted      Profile for Wayward Son   Email Wayward Son   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I think it has a whole lot more to do with party affiliation.
No, I'm pretty sure stepping down for another office is rather common regardless of which party you're talking about. [Smile]

Stepping down because the other side is picking on you, now that's unique. [Big Grin]

Getting back to the subject, this may be a bad move for her. I think a lot of her support comes from people who believe she has (had?) a chance to win the Presidency. Without that hope, I don't think her opinions will have as much heft. Does anyone really think that she that her opinions and thoughts are that much better than anyone else's?

Her major accomplishment was being nominated for the Vice-Presidency. How much longer can she last in the popular culture once she forgoes going after the office?

Posts: 8681 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 945

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by G2:
I see ... failing to serve out your term if you think you can get elected to another office is OK. Failing to serve out your term when you think it's in the interests of the people you serve to step down is bad. I think it has a whole lot more to do with party affiliation. But hey, if you feel good about it then that's what's really important here isn't it? [Roll Eyes]

Ah, the devastating eye roll smiley. Making you feel like you've won arguments since 2006. *thumbs up*

Palin might well have been right that she was serving the interests of her state by leaving office. I think she'd serve everyone's interests by staying out of office permanently.

There's no equivalence to Obama's choice to run for national office, though.

Posts: 6847 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bringer
Member # 6546

- posted      Profile for bringer   Email bringer       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You are all gleefully amassing a mountain of aspersions against SP and, as we will see throughout this thread, against G2. Who by the way, is not me.

Will you then in the years to come, remember these feathers, these poop feathers, to gather them back?
It has been a kind year weatherwise and the AGW hurricanes didn't spread those feathers. Maybe the coming ice will dampen them and preserve them for future use as guano. Under the Ornery Ice shelf now growing back fairly rapidly on either pole.
It is just sad that neither Sarah or G2 will be around to enjoy economic benefits of the low density anthracite now collecting in their general direction in the form of your generous servings.
I, however, intend to engrave their names along side those at Thermopolae.

Posts: 328 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TCB
Member # 1677

- posted      Profile for TCB         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This doesn't diminish the chances of Palin running in 2012 in the slightest. If she had intended to keep the option open, one of her problems was figuring out how to pass the time in a politically relevant way. Having a TV show solves the problem.
Posts: 824 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bringer
Member # 6546

- posted      Profile for bringer   Email bringer       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Negative 44 degrees in Norway. Record snows in Central Europe and Spain. This on World Focus, PBS.
Posts: 328 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyrtolin
Member # 2638

- posted      Profile for Pyrtolin   Email Pyrtolin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by bringer:
Negative 44 degrees in Norway. Record snows in Central Europe and Spain. This on World Focus, PBS.

Maybe a start like that will give us a chance of only scoring the 6th warmest year on record, unlike 2009 which took 5th. It definitely says something about temperatures in the rest of the world when they more than compensate for such severe dips in a few places.
Posts: 11997 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Al Wessex
unregistered

"I see ... failing to serve out your term if you think you can get elected to another office is OK. Failing to serve out your term when you think it's in the interests of the people you serve to step down is bad."

Nicely put. Obama "fail[ed] to serve out [his] term" in order to campaign for and become the President of the United States (which McCain also tried to do). You have to try very hard to see this as failing, but I suppose it's possible.

Palin quit unexpectedly and abruptly, "wrote" and published an autobiography, and now has become a TV performer. Your fig leaf barely covers her ass, and in her case, "Failing" is an easy stretch.

Your logic here is not so different from how you use only very selective bits of anecdotal or pre-digested blog information about global warming to point out how the people who study the subject intensively and disagree with your position are brainwashed.

We'll get to see Palin close up and in High Definition on the FOX screen, and the nation will clamor with a single voice just like the G2's saying, "Gee, I wish she was bein' my President."

[ January 12, 2010, 08:57 AM: Message edited by: Al Wessex ]

vulture
Member # 84

- posted      Profile for vulture   Email vulture   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by bringer:

I can play that game too. Overnight lowest temperature in Melbourne, Australia was 34C (93 Farenheit) last night.

The plural of 'anecdote' isn't 'data'.

Posts: 1768 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattP
Member # 2763

- posted      Profile for MattP   Email MattP   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
...failing to serve out your term if you think you can get elected to another office is OK.
This is incorrect. Obama did not resign from the senate until elected to the office of President. He submitted his letter of resignation on Nov. 13, 9 days after winning the election.

Palin simply left her office for unspecified purposes. Since doing so she has published a book, done a book tour, and is now taking a job as a talking head on Fox.

Her "lame duck" explanation:
quote:
And so as I thought about this announcement that I wouldn't run for re-election and what it means for Alaska, I thought about how much fun some governors have as lame ducks... travel around the state, to the Lower 48 (maybe), overseas on international trade - as so many politicians do. And then I thought - that's what's wrong - many just accept that lame duck status, hit the road, draw the paycheck, and "milk it". I'm not putting Alaska through that - I promised efficiencies and effectiveness!
This seems silly on a couple levels. First, what she chooses to "[put] Alaska through" is entirely up to her. If she thinks that politicians unfairly take advantage of their position when they are not going to have to campaign for another term then how about staying in office but not doing those things she believes to be so despicable. Buck the trend, finish the job you signed up for (or give an actual compelling reason not to), and act with responsibility and dignity to show those other free-riding lame ducks how to do it right.

Second, her logic would apply to every elected official that ever can't or won't campaign for another term. It just doesn't make any sense to say that the moment you decide this is your last term that you should walk out the door in order to not be a "lame duck". An extension of her logic is that no one should ever run for an office unless the intent is to run again for that office the following term, which they should only do if they intend to run again for the term after that, etc.

I can't even imaging how she thinks offices with term limits should be handled. If you should never hold office when not facing reelection, then you automatically can't hold an office for a constitutionally limited final term. But if that's the case, then you can't campaign for that term and you shouldn't hold the office for the term previous to that either... It boggles the mind.

Posts: 3481 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bringer
Member # 6546

Vulture,
Ah but your data didn't make the world news. And the geography does not compare nor the history over the last week. Or didn't you hear about the oranges?

Phyr,
You know that conclusion has been challenged. If so many of the data sets available from one of the coldest continents are not included in the data calculations, that will mangle the averages.

You see, Phyr, this thing about looking at the big picture, it is a useful tool. That the body of intelligent and observant could weigh the data and see no God, then evolve to such heights that they weigh the data and see no Sun, is the sad and fatal phenomena of our time.

MattP
Member # 2763

quote:
You know that conclusion has been challenged. If so many of the data sets available from one of the coldest continents are not included in the data calculations, that will mangle the averages.
Are you talking about the Russian data? If so, that's already been debunked. When you include all the data sets for Russia the recent trend (~50 years) is unchanged, but the distance past is actually colder. The full data set shows *more* warming than the limited set.
JWatts
Member # 6523

- posted      Profile for JWatts   Email JWatts   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sarah Palin shouldn't have quit so abruptly as Governor of Alaska. I think it shows quite clearly she doesn't have the single-minded drive to get through every obstacle.

Clearly the last two presidents Clinton and Bush were willing to push through any obstacle to get to the top and stay there. I don't think anyone without that drive is ever going to be president.

However, she was being hit with a large amount of essentially frivolous lawsuits and she was going bankrupt. Her family including young children was being viciously attacked. So she stepped down to make millions on a book deal and now millions more on Fox.

It's a good move and a good fit. I don't agree with the decision, to step down abruptly, but it's hardly a big deal. Certainly it's less of a deal than if she was caught in an illicit scandal such as, John Edwards and he was actually running for president.

Posts: 4700 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattP
Member # 2763

quote:
However, she was being hit with a large amount of essentially frivolous lawsuits and she was going bankrupt.
The ethics issues were largely resolved and paid for before before she left office so I don't see this as a big motivator.

quote:
Her family including young children was being viciously attacked.
Also something that was largely over, to the extent that it was ever a major issue, once she left the national spotlight and before she announced her resignation. It wasn't her position as governor that drew the attention, so to say she left the governorship for a high-profile book and a role on Fox News in order to expose her family to less criticism doesn't really make sense.

quote:
So she stepped down to make millions on a book deal and now millions more on Fox.
This is the obvious motivation. At the time it seemed clear that it was either scandal, money, or political ambition. The way things have played out, it's clear that money was the cause, though political ambition may still be in play.

[ January 12, 2010, 12:20 PM: Message edited by: MattP ]

bringer
Member # 6546

And Christ was obviously a seditious Jew. Crucifixion and the justification for it should not come so easily to anybody.

I believe you very dismissive of the power of the sun as well.

Al Wessex
unregistered

"It's a good move and a good fit. I don't agree with the decision, to step down abruptly, but it's hardly a big deal."

Only if money is the only important criteria and priority here. People *believe* in their locally elected officials, all the way from Mayor and dog catcher up through Governor and State Attorney General. They don't just go "I'm outta here 'cuz it is costing me too much" without repercussions.

MattP
Member # 2763

quote:
Crucifixion and the justification for it should not come so easily to anybody.
Who's crucifying anyone? I'm not making a value judgement, just parsing data. Palin left office before her term was up. Her "lame duck" explanation is not logically coherent. She has spent the time since she left office in commercial endeavors that build her brand and make her a lot of money.
bringer
Member # 6546

But you impune the worst motives and concede no prior evidence of excellence in those areas.

Even Pontius Pilate started out with, "Why, what evil has he done?" thus the comparison.

MattP
Member # 2763

quote:
But you impune the worst motives and concede no prior evidence of excellence in those areas.
The worst motives? She left an apparently unsatisfying job for a very lucrative one. I'd be hard pressed to do otherwise. I don't believe I've spoken at all to her excellence or lack thereof in any area.
JWatts
Member # 6523

quote:
Originally posted by MattP:
quote:
However, she was being hit with a large amount of essentially frivolous lawsuits and she was going bankrupt.
The ethics issues were largely resolved and paid for before before she left office so I don't see this as a big motivator.

Yes, the cases were dismissed, but she still owed the legal fees and she was sued to prevent her from using any of the money from the legal defense fund. While that law suit was in process all of the legal fees to pay the bills were frozen. If that suit was successful it would have completely bankrupted her.

This was written at the time of the resignation:
quote:
Palin:
Todd and I, we’re looking at more than half a million dollars in legal bills just in order to set the record straight.

quote:
Palin, the former GOP vice presidential nominee, said the decision had been in the works for a while. And she cited 15 ethics complaints against her, all that she has won, but have cost the state and her family a lot of time and money.

Link

Some of the cases have just been resolved recently:
quote:

January 7th, 2010
A federal judge has dismissed a lawsuit against former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin that alleged she violated the plaintiffs' constitutional rights by failing to issue a proclamation in 2007 for a celebration commemorating the freeing of U.S. slaves.

quote:

January 7th, 2010
Chatman filed an ethics complaint when Palin was governor last year. The complaint, which has not been publicly resolved, alleged Palin was misusing the governor's office for personal gain by securing unwarranted benefits and receiving improper gifts through a legal defense fund.

The fund was set up by supporters to help Palin pay off debts stemming from multiple ethics complaints against the governor. Palin has said she owed more than $500,000 in legal fees. The great majority of complaints were dismissed outright.

The fund is in limbo after an investigator hired by the state to investigate Chatman's complaint found probable cause that it violated the law.

Link
Wayward Son
Member # 210

For all the fun the Left has with Sarah, "crucifiction" is a bit over-the-top.

No one has accused her of murder, treason, corruption or any of the other biggies, to my knowledge. Mostly the accusations are just incompetance, inexperience and insincerity.

Yes, people have made fun of her family. But people have made fun of the families of most major politicians when the public was aware of them (as they did of Chelsea Clinton).

And many a Senator has been slapped with "frivolous legal actions," some even leading to convictions. [Smile]

Although she's had more harassment than usual for her status, she has more national visibility than usual for her status. The harassment she's received is about typical for a national figure.

She's a light-weight that was thrown into the heavy-weight division, and she hasn't quite figured that out yet. [Smile]

bringer
Member # 6546

This from the BBC News:

The cold spell has caused disruption and difficulties for millions, and to huge economic cost. But not everyone has lost out. So who have been the unlikely beneficiaries?

The economic cost of the freezing weather conditions is still being counted but is sure to run into billions of pounds.

Absenteeism is estimated to have cost £600m on one day alone, Wednesday last week.

On top of that, the High Streets emptied of customers and planes, trains and automobiles struggled to reach their destinations.

This is more detail, not that it will convince you, if Lord Monkton or an MIT climate professor can't. Thousands of Phd'd professionals, Chicken Little vs. The Emperor's New Clothes, the polar caps on Mars, the WWII bomber under 270 feet of snow in Greenland all screaming the same thing.

That the science is not settled. That we don't really know. But we're going to legislate anyway.

This is the heighth of arrogance. It blocks out the sun and gambles the future of the century.

The Old Guard has to win, can't let slip with a little humility, some noble inborn wisdom that transcends all evidence to save us all.

You will remember this. You will never live it down.

bringer
Member # 6546

Never heard of "Death by a thousand cuts?" In this case paper cuts. Please. And to an effective governor who left an effective team in place to finish. That's not the definition of fun.
I link it to Statecraft by a legal machine that rivals the Inquisition.
It's too bad if the methodology can only be compared to the worst sociopolitical events in history and then be laughed off as "fun".

JWatts
Member # 6523

quote:
Originally posted by Wayward Son:
For all the fun the Left has with Sarah, "crucifiction" is a bit over-the-top.

I'm pretty sure that was hyperbole and yes it was over the top.

quote:

No one has accused her of murder, treason, corruption or any of the other biggies, to my knowledge. Mostly the accusations are just incompetance, inexperience and insincerity.

Yes and they were all thrown out, but not without costing her middle class family $500,000. How you you feel if you personally had to endure 15 completely frivolous law suits and had a bill for $500,000.

One of the lawsuits:
quote:
A federal judge has dismissed a lawsuit against former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin that alleged she violated the plaintiffs' constitutional rights by failing to issue a proclamation in 2007 for a celebration commemorating the freeing of U.S. slaves.
That is so entirely frivolous as to stagger the mind.

quote:

Yes, people have made fun of her family. But people have made fun of the families of most major politicians when the public was aware of them (as they did of Chelsea Clinton).

No, they were viciously cruel. Far, far beyond what Chelsea Clinton had to endure.

quote:
Letterman Attacks Palin's Daughter: She Was Knocked Up By A-Rod
quote:

And many a Senator has been slapped with "frivolous legal actions," some even leading to convictions. [Smile]

Name one who has had this many in this short of time. Please, name one who has had half as many.

quote:

Although she's had more harassment than usual for her status, she has more national visibility than usual for her status. The harassment she's received is about typical for a national figure.

Really? So she had about typical for a national figure. Compared to?

Obama's running mate Joe Biden, Really?
Kerry's running mate John Edwards? What frivolous lawsuits?
Al Gore perhaps? I don't recall anybody saying his daughters should get knocked up by A-Rod?

Name the vice-presidential candidate or governor that's gotten this many attacks?

No, the left hates her with a mindless, visceral passion. Personally, I'm middle of the road on her. I don't think she's got the chops to be president, but the shear hate that had been directed at her appalls me.

Wayward Son
Member # 210

quote:
No, the left hates her with a mindless, visceral passion.
I'll grant you that some of the left hates her with a mindless, visceral passion, but I would say that most of the left just find her highly amusing and rather annoying. [Smile]

Letterman's joke about her daughter was tasteless and cruel, but if you analyze it you'll realize it was mostly directed at A-Rod rather than Palin's daughter. The point of the joke was "A-Rod is such a horn-dog that he's even slept with Palin's unwed-mother daughter." (The fact that Letterman mistakenly referred to the wrong daughter is just more egg on Letterman's face.) Really, it was an attack on A-Rod more than on the Palin family.

Yes, she's been attacked more than any other governor or vice-presidential candidate. But not by all the left, and not as viciously as some politicians have been attacked. (There are still some who claim that the Clintons murdered Vince Foster, even though several different investigators concluded there was never enough evidence to charge anyone.)

Al Wessex
unregistered

"No, the left hates her with a mindless, visceral passion. "

I tend to think the Left (if it is a collective with a single over-arching consciousness) finds her deficient and unqualified, but still somehow happily accepted by a significant segment of Republicans anyway. She's kind of like a dog walking on its hind legs, not because she's a woman, or pretty, or an ex-sports-broadcaster, or the ex-mayor of a tiny town in a small state, or because she gave her kids names that nobody can understand or relate to....but, because she's not very bright or well educated and yet full of gumption. By God, she's what makes this country great --- *anybody* can be President, and if you control the message, nobody knows you're a pit bull *or* a hockey mom, whatever that is.

Some doubt the level of Obama's experience, but seriously, is there anybody out there who thinks she could steer the ship of state half as well as him or would want her to be making the decisions as Commander-in-Chief?

[ January 12, 2010, 08:51 PM: Message edited by: Al Wessex ]

JWatts
Member # 6523

quote:
Originally posted by Al Wessex:
Some doubt the level of Obama's experience, but seriously, is there anybody out there who thinks she could steer the ship of state half as well as him or would want her to be making the decisions as Commander-in-Chief?

That's a strawman argument. She was never running for President, she was running for vice-president. [Roll Eyes]

The same position VP Joe Biden was running for and he doesn't strike me as particularly competent. I don't think Joe Biden "could steer the ship of state half as well as" Obama, either.

quote:
because she gave her kids names that nobody can understand or relate to....
You mean names like, Malia Ann and Sasha?

Typical left wing attack on her children. You guys can't stop can you.

[ January 12, 2010, 10:09 PM: Message edited by: JWatts ]

Al Wessex
unregistered

"That's a strawman argument. She was never running for President, she was running for vice-president."

There's no difference. You look at the VP candidate for his/her qualifications for President. If you now try to think of her as President, does she look better to you or worse?

"You mean names like, Malia Ann and Sasha?"

I know at least 3 or 4 people whose name is Sasha (and 2 named Natasha). Malia [Anne] is new to me. I know where those names originate, but Track and Trig are new to me and I can't figure them out on my own. Bristol, Willow and Piper are sort of familiar, but not really.

"Typical left wing attack on her children. You guys can't stop can you."

You're absolutely correct. Any attack on Palin is mindless, because she's....wonderful! If there were time, I would attack Cheney's daughter for her almost obscene father-worship. Are there any obstreperous Democrat children-of-office holders? I can't think of any.

My gripes are what I've already voiced here, that she's not very bright, she's undereducated, ignorant of global issues and cultures, unsophisticated, and less well suited to the job of running the country than anyone else I've exprienced in my lifetime except Dan Quayle, and everything I've learned about her has come directly from her, not from some left-wing hate machine.

I'm not that fond of Joe Biden, either, but I accept him for his deep experience in government and his genuine intellectual curiosity and collegiality. Those qualities help make up for his other shortcomings.

[ January 12, 2010, 10:43 PM: Message edited by: Al Wessex ]

bringer
Member # 6546

JWatts,
You damn with faint praise. It is a crucifixion in that a mob of millions on all levels of media wish for her to fail. That is a scale that exceeds the tickets punched at the Colosseum by far. So we are worse than the Romans.
It is a crucifixion because of the degree of her innocence in relation to the intensity of the hate leveled against her. To date no one has adequately explained the phenomena, except by historical comparison.

It is a crucifixion because the motives are similar to those of the record. Powerful people sense a threat, a vortex of virtue that destablizes a corrupt hierarchy.
Finally, it is a crucifixion because of the loss of a good leader without blame dragged down by lesser life-forms.
I mean that literally. No hyperbole, lower life-forms have again prevailed.

TomDavidson
Member # 99

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
You damn with faint praise. It is a crucifixion in that a mob of millions on all levels of media wish for her to fail. That is a scale that exceeds the tickets punched at the Colosseum by far. So we are worse than the Romans.
By that logic, the people buying bread tomorrow -- who in numbers far exceed the number of Biblical Romans who ever bought bread -- must like bread more than the Romans.

quote:
It is a crucifixion because of the degree of her innocence in relation to the intensity of the hate leveled against her.
Hm. Assuming that Christ's innocence could be rated at, say, 100 out of 100, and we know that Palin is neither more nor less innocent than your typical politician -- let's say about a 30 -- does that mean that people hate Palin three times more than they hate Christ? Note that Christ was, y'know, actually crucified. Is being hired by Fox News something that we only do to the worst pariahs in human history?

quote:
It is a crucifixion because the motives are similar to those of the record. Powerful people sense a threat, a vortex of virtue that destablizes a corrupt hierarchy.
Heh. Yeah. A "vortex of virtue." No doubt Palin was well on the way to tossing the moneylenders out of Alaska before she quit her job and hired a puppet to write a book for her.

quote:
Finally, it is a crucifixion because of the loss of a good leader without blame dragged down by lesser life-forms. I mean that literally. No hyperbole...
You literally, without hyperbole, believe that Sarah Palin is a good leader "without blame?"

Man, bringer, you are a breath of fresh air. *wry laugh*

Posts: 22935 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page