Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Can anyone call Rush Limbaugh a great conservative thinker after hearing him here?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Can anyone call Rush Limbaugh a great conservative thinker after hearing him here?
Omega M.
Member # 1392

- posted      Profile for Omega M.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Seriously, the best rebuttal he can make to charges that the Bush administration suppressed data that said there was man-made global warming is that the data had to be fake because there is no man-made global warming?
quote:
Now, wait. You're missing the point here. You're just being totally guided by your ideology, by your liberalism, by your partisanship. There is no man-made global warming. Do you understand that? There was nothing to suppress. Anybody that suppressed data that said there was man-made global warming was doing us a favor. They knew it was a hoax, and they were not spreading lies.

It's that there is no man-made global warming. There is no need for Obama national health care reform. There is no need for tax, crap, and spend. There is no need for further stimulus. There is no need for Obama. There is no need for liberalism. There is no need for you. You are a menace.

But the transcript doesn't communicate the bizarre tone in which he says it. He sounds equally hostile and desperate, as if he's finally been given evidence that scientists are telling the truth about man-made global warming and he can't bear the thought that everything he's been saying about it has been wrong.
Posts: 1966 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JWatts
Member # 6523

- posted      Profile for JWatts   Email JWatts   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Who called him a "great conservative thinker" the first time?
Posts: 4698 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omega M.
Member # 1392

- posted      Profile for Omega M.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe nobody here, but a lot of his listeners would probably do so.
Posts: 1966 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

- posted      Profile for kenmeer livermaile   Email kenmeer livermaile       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rush had his time. All things must pass. Time for Reps to stand down and let Dems and Dem demagogues own the provinces of self-embarrassment awhile.
Posts: 23297 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bringer
Member # 6546

- posted      Profile for bringer   Email bringer       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Omega,

Would you care to comment on the arguments in this forum on the topic of global warming?
Or is this thread to be yet another poke in the eye of a snarling watchdog who will..not..let..go..of..a..bone.

I doubt that Rush is asserting his godlike power over the weather. He has lost his patience. He may need an anger management class, but should not repress his convictions for you. Repressed anger is depression, into which good watch dogs shouldn't descend.

Let him rant. Let him clip his talking points into barks, while he dances away daily from those who would clip his tongue, his ears, his tail, and his testicles.

You, however, have not spoken of your certainty about man-caused global warming, only that Rush is wrong to match Al Gore's invective in equal and opposing intensity.

Posts: 328 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

- posted      Profile for kenmeer livermaile   Email kenmeer livermaile       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No one here seem to be asking Rush to suppress himself. Instead, they seem to be enjoying watching him work that chewtoy into a slobbering souffle.

Maybe we'll even throw him a bone.

Posts: 23297 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bringer
Member # 6546

- posted      Profile for bringer   Email bringer       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And I believe the interest to be that of a voyuer fixating on the clipping of the testicles.
Posts: 328 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

Okay-y-y...
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

Barking Dog

"What the **** am I doing?" Why would I say that Michael J. Fox is faking his Parkinson's symptoms? Why would I find it funny to play a song called "Barack the Magic Negro"? Why would I tell people not to give aid to Haiti? What the **** is wrong with me?"

Only parody but the examples cited aren't.

There's a reason many folks think Rush is loony: he makes his living howling at his own moon.

bringer
Member # 6546

He speaks often, therefor he is often wrong.

As are we.

Percentages may differ.

jasonr
Member # 969

- posted      Profile for jasonr   Email jasonr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have rarely had a chance to listen to Rush, but on the rare occasions I have, he has been slightly more cogent than a typical talking head.

People love to hate him, but I've never actually heard him say anything horrendously stupid. But as Bringer says, if you speak as often as Rush, it's bound to happen from time to time. I just get the distinct impression that alot of people are attacking him without having ever even watched / listened to him.

Posts: 7123 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Al Wessex
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Who called him a "great conservative thinker" the first time? "

If not great, can we agree that he is a large conservative thinker? That he has a big mouth?

Bringer: And I believe the interest to be that of a voyuer fixating on the clipping of the testicles.

Kenmeer: Okay-y-y...

He's not you, but he's campaigning hard for the position of mini-you. That position is not available, but it is unfilled.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayward Son
Member # 210

- posted      Profile for Wayward Son   Email Wayward Son   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I just get the distinct impression that alot of people are attacking him without having ever even watched / listened to him.
Liberals listen to him about as long as conservatives can listen to Keith Olbermann-- for the same reason.

So, yeah, a lot of us have listened to him, for about as long as we can take it. Which usually is about ten minutes before he says something offensive and untrue. (Although I did listen to him for about a half-hour once when he managed to avoid talking about liberals. But that was extremely unusual.) [Smile]

Posts: 7433 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

"Bringer: And I believe the interest to be that of a voyuer fixating on the clipping of the testicles.

Kenmeer: Okay-y-y...

He's not you, but he's campaigning hard for the position of mini-you. That position is not available, but it is unfilled."

I didn't get the analogy's message at first, just saw an extremely unsettling image. That said, I do not know whether neutering a male dog would make it a less vigilant guard dog. I do know that our neutered male dachshund at least only barks at things that are present and not part of the pack, while our unneutered male dachshund barks at things that aren't there, and also barks and growls at members of its pack.

But that dog survived parvo as a puppy, and I was told that the severe and extended fever 'parvo puppies' endure often causes brain damage. So I don't know whether the problem is gonads or grey cells

I would have used 'muzzle' as a metaphor. If I felt a need to use surgical connotations, I would have used a phrase like 'removing vocal chords'; I'm not fond of depictions of sharp metal/sensitive flesh. Particularly not regarding family jewels. If one doesn't need a sword to cut flowers, one doesn't need vivisective images to describe some people's wish to see (whom they perceive as) arrogant blowhards silenced.

A good old sock-stuffing would suffice.

[ January 27, 2010, 02:49 PM: Message edited by: kenmeer livermaile ]

kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

Not that I disapprove of the expression in principle; just my personal squeamishness, is all. Ironic, since the novel I'm working on has, as central dramatic incident, a rather gruesome bit of violence involving a fella's more delicate parts.
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

Which reminds me: we had to put our two big dogs down in the past 3 months, one whose time had come, and one who died of cancer while still fairly young and vibrant.
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

I'm pondering now the values, positive and negative, of rabble-rousing. Ignoring the negative, it occurs to me that a virtue of rabble-rousing is that it at least energizes citizens to think about issues.

Anger is a very reliable method for rousing. Rush is a master of invective, and I think this is fundamentally crucial to his success: people have to be motivated to listen, to tune in tomorrow, etc.

Beck uses invective as well but also uses another powerful motivator: maudlin schmaltz.

Jon Stewart uses invective, but his invective is focused through humor. When he calls someone an idiot, he usually does so in a very funny way.

O'Reilly rouses rabble (that's you and me, folks) with voyeuristic sadism: he places people in the No Spin Zone in order to humiliate them. (This is a staple of talk hosts in general, but it is O'Reilly's specialty.) O'Reilly's show bears resemblance to WWWF broadcasts, except that only one 'wrestler' goes into the ring; O'Reilly stays outside and throws rocks at them.

I've never listened to Air America nor paid attention to reports of their shows. I did see Franken big-dog O'Reilly on C-Span many years ago. That was fun.

[ January 27, 2010, 03:05 PM: Message edited by: kenmeer livermaile ]

Viking_Longship
Member # 3358

- posted      Profile for Viking_Longship   Email Viking_Longship       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well it's been -11 or around that here for about a week and half after three winters where it hovered around freezing. So I'm starting to rethink global warming myself. [Razz]

Seriously Rush says all sorts of things. I wouldn't call him conservative anyway, but not over this.

Posts: 5659 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

Rush calls himself conservative. I don't. I think he's primarily a paranoid narcissist. He enlarges himself by making molehills into mountains via airwave hyperbole, distortion, deception and misdirection.

Since contemporary conservatism has embraced so much nonsense, there is far more room in it for airwave hyperbole, distortion, deception and misdirection to be marketed.

Conservatism is bigger than liberalism in this sense, which is perhaps at least partly why airwave bloviation and rabble-rousing works for contemporary conservatism but not for liberalism, which mostly relies entertainment, particularly movies, tv, popular song and comedians to spread its memes.

[ January 27, 2010, 06:06 PM: Message edited by: kenmeer livermaile ]

Omega M.
Member # 1392

quote:
Originally posted by bringer:

Omega,

Would you care to comment on the arguments in this forum on the topic of global warming?
Or is this thread to be yet another poke in the eye of a snarling watchdog who will..not..let..go..of..a..bone.

I don't come here much anymore, so I haven't read the latest global warming thread. If you're wondering, I trust the overwhelming majority of scientists who say there is man-made global warming, because I think it's unlikely that they all would be blinded by their ideology when doing their research. (And their rebuttals to the anti-man-made global warming position sound reasonable.) I don't know what to think about the rate of global warming or the damage it will cause.

This clip of Rush shocked me because I would expect him to have an answer that seems convincing at first hearing if you don't know the facts.

RickyB
Member # 1464

- posted      Profile for RickyB   Email RickyB   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The fact that wingbats seem to take Omega M for some kind of liberal is making me giggle. [Smile]
Posts: 19143 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page