Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Fox most trusted name in news (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Fox most trusted name in news
Lloyd
Member # 6118

- posted      Profile for Lloyd   Email Lloyd       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From politico, a recent poll
quote:
found that 49 percent of Americans trusted Fox News, 10 percentage points more than any other network.

Thirty-seven percent said they didn’t trust Fox, also the lowest level of distrust that any of the networks recorded.

There was a strong partisan split among those who said they trusted Fox — with 74 percent of Republicans saying they trusted the network, while only 30 percent of Democrats said they did.

Thought this was pretty funny given all the comments on this site about Faux news etc. Personally, I like that the news shows try to always have an opposing viewpoint. Yes the moderators seem to lean slightly right, ok some of them a lot right, but they always give the opposing view a fair shake.
Posts: 94 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 99

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Yes the moderators seem to lean slightly right, ok some of them a lot right, but they always give the opposing view a fair shake.
Question: how many people who actually hold the opposing view think they give the opposing view a fair shake? I'm betting about 30%.
Posts: 22935 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lloyd
Member # 6118

- posted      Profile for Lloyd   Email Lloyd       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think I should amend my post to say they usually give the opposing view a fair shake. And you are probably right -- the 30% that agree with that are probably the 30% of democrats that trust them.
Posts: 94 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayward Son
Member # 210

- posted      Profile for Wayward Son   Email Wayward Son   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One problem with such a poll is that there is an unclear split between Fox News and Fox Commentators.

Fox News is pretty much the same as any other network. The stories are similar and reported in similar fashion, for the most part. There is not much of a difference there.

Fox Commentators, on the other hand, are strongly biased to the Right, and are untrustworthy. I mean, does anyone rely on O'Reilly, Beck or Hannity to give the full, unadulterated truth? If so, do I have a deal on a bridge for you! [Smile]

So if it is only Fox News that they are measuring, it's no big deal. But if it includes their commentators--man, I worry about this country. [Eek!]

Posts: 8681 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 945

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good point, WS. I think a lot of the condemnation of Fox News that I've seen is really directed at the pundits.
Posts: 6847 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

- posted      Profile for kenmeer livermaile   Email kenmeer livermaile       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Agreed, scifibum. ALL tv news sucks with the slightly elevated exception of PBS, but that's only slightly. But clowns like Beck and O'Reilly and Hannity are embarrassing insults to the Fourth Estate.

When Jon Stewart serves as America's de facto most trusted and hard-hitting tv journalist, surreality overwhelems.

Posts: 23297 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 6161

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That people trust FOX is not necessarily a sign of FOX's trustworthiness; it is just as easily a sign of the level of gullibility of the folks who watch FOX.

I would bank on that answer. People who get their information from FOX pretty much have to be...unskeptical regarding what their TV tells them.

Posts: 2635 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Viking_Longship
Member # 3358

- posted      Profile for Viking_Longship   Email Viking_Longship       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also bear in mind Fox is the only major conservative outlet whereas liberals are split amongst several.
Posts: 5765 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

- posted      Profile for kenmeer livermaile   Email kenmeer livermaile       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For the record, I think that CNN & MSNBC qualify more as centrist than liberal. This, BTW, is a form of compliment to FOX. At least one knows where FOX is coming from. It's editorial slant is massively laissez-faire deregulated market, pro-aggressive foreign policy, and Xtian bloc friendly.
Posts: 23297 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSRT
Member # 6454

- posted      Profile for PSRT   Email PSRT   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Trusted=/trustworthy
Posts: 2152 | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bringer
Member # 6546

- posted      Profile for bringer   Email bringer       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
FOX gave equal time to the speeches of Brown and Coakley. MSNBC and CNN did not, heavily favoring Coakley. MSNBC then lost what impartial stand it may have had by allowing Keith Oberman to rant (Brown is racist, homophobic, sexist, opportunistic and approves of violence to women) the night before the election. Another anchor on MSNBC stressed that cheating would be his route to victory to defeat Brown.
All done to save a seat in the Senate and the agenda that would be lost with it.

Real human beings saw through all of this to their credit. They are not as stupid as either side, fearmongerers both, assumes them to be.

Posts: 328 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

"Real human beings". Guys like Hitler love this kind of supremacist thinking.
TomDavidson
Member # 99

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
MSNBC then lost what impartial stand it may have had by allowing Keith Oberman to rant (Brown is racist, homophobic, sexist, opportunistic and approves of violence to women) the night before the election.
Is your assertion, then, that stations which allow their pundits to rant cannot be considered impartial?
Posts: 22935 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daruma28
Member # 1388

- posted      Profile for Daruma28   Email Daruma28   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I continue to find it a source of great amusement to see all of the liberal/progressive folks that continue to excoriate FOX for being nothing more than a propaganda arm on one hand, while stating that other networks like CNN and MSNBC etc. are more "moderate."

[LOL]

Folks - NONE OF THE TV NETWORKS ARE TRUSTWORTHY. IF YOU BELIEVE WHAT YOU SEE AND HEAR ON ANY TV NEWS, YOU ARE A FOOL.

Posts: 7543 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

Being more or less moderate itself does not mean being more trustworthy. You, for example, are one of the most immoderate posters I know on Ornery, but I find you to also be one of the most trustworthy and honorable in your posted interactions. I feel that if you were to more thoroughly question your epistemological tendencies, you would qualify perhaps as the Honest Abe of Ornery.

"Is your assertion, then, that stations which allow their pundits to rant cannot be considered impartial?"

TomD is our resident snare-and-lure hunter. Not so much the lure but definitely the snare.

Pyrtolin
Member # 2638

- posted      Profile for Pyrtolin   Email Pyrtolin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by bringer:
FOX gave equal time to the speeches of Brown and Coakley.

Fox brought Brown on their shows and allowed him to campaign and actively solicit contributions from its viewers on its dime. It's commentators also made a point of directing viewers on how to make contributions to his campaign.

quote:
MSNBC then lost what impartial stand it may have had by allowing Keith Oberman to rant (Brown is racist, homophobic, sexist, opportunistic and approves of violence to women) the night before the election. Another anchor on MSNBC stressed that cheating would be his route to victory to defeat Brown.
Olbermann has never pretended to be impartial (and did issue a very clear Mea Culpa when John Stewart thrashed him over those remarks).

The difference isn't in impartiality of commentators (by the very nature of that would contradict their role) but the fact that MSNBC's lineup includes a mis of conservative and liberal commentators, while Fox's all push roughly the same message.

Posts: 11997 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daruma28
Member # 1388

- posted      Profile for Daruma28   Email Daruma28   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My epistemological tendencies are one of deep, cynical distrust and default skepticism of mainstream popular culture, mass media and especially politics. So many things I used to accept as truths, I've since learned are nothing more than cleverly promulgated lies, misinformation and propaganda.

On this, I agree, I am certainly most immoderate.

As for being the Honest Abe? Heh...I would never in a million years see myself as such.

Many of you probably think I'm mistaken or deluded - but my mental picture of myself and my "role" here on this forum, is that of the little boy who tries to get the crowd's attention as I point out that the Emperor is not wearing any clothing.

Posts: 7543 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

I meant your internal epistemological hygiene not your external political biases. I wish you would not place so much trust in your skepticism. Such trust is not very... skeptical.

[ January 27, 2010, 06:34 PM: Message edited by: kenmeer livermaile ]

Daruma28
Member # 1388

POLL FINDINGS:

49 percent of Americans WHO WATCH TV NEWS, drink the red kool aid of Fox News, 10 percentage points more than any other network.

Thirty-seven percent of Americans WHO WATCH TV NEWS said they didn’t trust Fox, also the lowest level of distrust that any of the networks recorded.

There was a strong partisan split among those who said they trusted Fox — with 74 percent of elephants saying they trusted the network, while only 30 percent of donkeys said they did.

All in all, anyone that TRUSTS FoxNews, CNN, MSNBC, ABC, CBS, NBC, PBS, BBC or any other corporate-government propaganda dissemination organ is 100% guaranteed to be misinformed, deluded, and indoctrinated into thinking and believing whatever the executives of these organizations want you to.

Daruma28
Member # 1388

quote:
Originally posted by kenmeer livermaile:
I wish you would not place so much trust in your skepticism. Such trust is not very... skeptical.

[LOL]

As always Ken, your penchant ability to come up with clever phrases is your most endearing asset.

[ January 27, 2010, 06:40 PM: Message edited by: Daruma28 ]

Daruma28
Member # 1388

Look folks..."TRUSTED NEWS SOURCE?!?!?!"

The Emperor wears no clothes!

kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

"As always Ken, your penchant ability to come up with clever phrases is your most endearing asset."

It is clever but I commit the arrogance of thinking it also contains a profound insight.

bringer
Member # 6546

- posted      Profile for bringer   Email bringer       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Is your assertion, then, that stations which allow their pundits to rant cannot be considered impartial?"

Show me where this:

"allowing Keith Oberman to rant (Brown is racist, homophobic, sexist, opportunistic and approves of violence to women)"

..was ever done by FOX. Was it ever done by Rush?

Jon Stewart said he didn't know of any worse.

And Olbermann did apologize, but then that was after the election wasn't it. Did he really want his side to win that way?

[ January 27, 2010, 06:54 PM: Message edited by: bringer ]

Posts: 328 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

TomD asked a distinction of kind not degree.
Daruma28
Member # 1388

quote:
"As always Ken, your penchant ability to come up with clever phrases is your most endearing asset."

It is clever but I commit the arrogance of thinking it also contains a profound insight.

Sometimes, they do. [Wink]
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

Cookie? Cookie? Ken want cookie?
bringer
Member # 6546

Daruma,

The Media montage on your link seems a little dated, for instance it listed a popular show on FOX as "Who wants to marry a millionaire?".

It also predates Disney loaning Tinkerbell as a mascot to the IPCC, which helps make up my mind about both Disney and the IPCC.

Stay away from my children. Breakfast cereal endorsing and marketing to parents through their children is one thing. What Disney and the IPCC and others equally pernicious are doing through children is evil.

bringer
Member # 6546

Ken

I believe my last post helps clarify why 'degree' has to be considered with 'kind'. Being two heads of the same Hydra.

Adam Masterman
Member # 1142

- posted      Profile for Adam Masterman   Email Adam Masterman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Show me where this:

"allowing Keith Oberman to rant (Brown is racist, homophobic, sexist, opportunistic and approves of violence to women)"

Many of those things were said by Rush about Clinton, more often and with more vitriol than Oberman. But Rush still holds the crown in moral depravity for a pundit, earned when he called the 13 year old daughter of a political rival "the white house dog" while showing an unflattering picture of her. How anyone with children isn't enraged by that alone is beyond me.

Adam

Posts: 4823 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daruma28
Member # 1388

Adam, I've seen you post about that incident numerous times over the years here. It's your be all, end all, uber-defining moment for which the two-minutes of hate regularly indulged in here for Rush can always be justified.

Dude...if I recall correctly (and I could be wrong) he actually did apologize to the Clinton's for that. Even if he didn't...

...there are just as many examples of left wingers over the years saying similar things about "right wingers." But for some reason, this episode really stands out with you, eh?

Wasn't there a similar sort of thing about Sarah Palin's children? Her downs syndrome baby? I don't know...I no longer watch political punditry on TV or listen to the radio...but I find it funny - it's almost like a Pavlovian response with you.

Mention Rush, and Adam is sure to post about that one time over 15 freaking years ago, that he called Chelsea the white house dog.

If I did remember correctly, and he did apologize...does that count for anything in your book? Or is there no redemption possible for right wing propaganda blowhards?

I really don't care, but it's rather amusing to note how the mere mention of Rush always invariably has you chiming in with this. [LOL]

[ January 27, 2010, 09:35 PM: Message edited by: Daruma28 ]

bringer
Member # 6546

On the eve of Clinton's election? A tirade like Olbermann's?
I think not.
Let's ask Jon Stewart.

Rallan
Member # 1936

- posted      Profile for Rallan   Email Rallan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Daruma28:
POLL FINDINGS:

49 percent of Americans WHO WATCH TV NEWS, drink the red kool aid of Fox News, 10 percentage points more than any other network.

Thirty-seven percent of Americans WHO WATCH TV NEWS said they didn’t trust Fox, also the lowest level of distrust that any of the networks recorded.

There was a strong partisan split among those who said they trusted Fox — with 74 percent of elephants saying they trusted the network, while only 30 percent of donkeys said they did.

All in all, anyone that TRUSTS FoxNews, CNN, MSNBC, ABC, CBS, NBC, PBS, BBC or any other corporate-government propaganda dissemination organ is 100% guaranteed to be misinformed, deluded, and indoctrinated into thinking and believing whatever the executives of these organizations want you to.

Exactly. Because the best way to stay informed and get the unbiased truth is to get all your news from bloggers who hold exactly the same opinion as you [Smile]
Posts: 2570 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Adam Masterman
Member # 1142

- posted      Profile for Adam Masterman   Email Adam Masterman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
...there are just as many examples of left wingers over the years saying similar things about "right wingers." But for some reason, this episode really stands out with you, eh?

Wasn't there a similar sort of thing about Sarah Palin's children? Her downs syndrome baby? I don't know...I no longer watch political punditry on TV or listen to the radio...but I find it funny - it's almost like a Pavlovian response with you.

Not that I'm doubting that you've transcended the partisan divide and reached the clarity of unbiased enlightenment, but... is your response to this really to point out that the "other guys" have (probably) done something similar?

Adam

Posts: 4823 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyrtolin
Member # 2638

- posted      Profile for Pyrtolin   Email Pyrtolin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Show me where this:

Glenn Beck. Sean Hannity. Pretty much as a matter of course.
Posts: 11997 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

"I believe my last post helps clarify why 'degree' has to be considered with 'kind'. Being two heads of the same Hydra."

With clarification like that, who needs befuddling?

bringer
Member # 6546

Pyre,

No. You didn't see Olbermann. And you didn't see him apologize only to add more. And you didn't see Jon Stewart skewer Olbermann. Apparently that means that you want it to be so, even if it isn't.
Your just throwing names out.
And it ain't so.

Viking_Longship
Member # 3358

- posted      Profile for Viking_Longship   Email Viking_Longship       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You think many Brown supporters were watching Olberman? Not that that justifies defamation.

The 24 hr news cycle has been a disaster pushing news sources to report faster than they can correctly gather information. A measure of trustworthiness amongst the 24 hr news channels is like a measure of sobriety at your local Hooters.

I've seen too many occasions when the "reporting" was a reaffirmation of the coventional presumptions of the general public.

Turn off the TV, turn on the net and turn on the critical function in your head.

Posts: 5765 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pete at Home
Member # 429

- posted      Profile for Pete at Home   Email Pete at Home   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
"Real human beings". Guys like Hitler love this kind of supremacist thinking.

[DOH] [Exploding] [Crying]

I'm far too affectionate of you to give you what you deserve for that remark, Kenmeer, so tell you what. Imagine that I said that, and then tell yourself what you would have told me.

Posts: 44193 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyrtolin
Member # 2638

quote:
Pyre,

No. You didn't see Olbermann. And you didn't see him apologize only to add more. And you didn't see Jon Stewart skewer Olbermann. Apparently that means that you want it to be so, even if it isn't.
Your just throwing names out.
And it ain't so.

No, I did see those. And while pointedly rude and tenuous, it doesn't even begin to hold a candle to the constant, actively manipulative lies that Back and Hannity feed their audiences. Especially in as much as Olbermann admitted that Stewart was, without qualification, right that he'd gone too far and should dial back the rhetoric.
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

" Imagine that I said that, and then tell yourself what you would have told me. "

I'd have said amen.

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page