Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » islamic radicalism

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: islamic radicalism
timeskimo
Member # 731

- posted      Profile for timeskimo   Email timeskimo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The title of my topic will draw much more attention than the topic deserves. I'm going to ask everyone here: is it proper to say that perhaps Islam in the middle east is somewhat analogous to Christianity in the middle ages up until Martin Luther? If so, how deep does this analogy run? And what are approximate literacy rates, might the problem be that similar, that lack of literacy or access or time for the Qu'ran results in a populace that doesn't know much besides what the Imams tell them?
-Timeskimo

Posts: 96 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 99

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've made the same comparison myself, although Islam actually DID go through a reformation once already -- and then UNreformed under the influence of the Saudis. They're certainly due for a new Luther.

Posts: 22935 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Junpei
Member # 690

- posted      Profile for Junpei     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting, I really didn't think about an Islam Reformation, although I have compared present-day Islam to Medieval Christianity.

This reformation that was "undone" -- what exactly happened? I would be interested to see how similar it was to the Protestant Reformation.

I also have a feeling that if some great leader could convince enough Muslims to branch-off into an "improved" sect of Islam, then the other Imams would reform or face a loss of power. Any problems with this logic?

Posts: 146 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JonathanTheOmnipotent
Member # 797

- posted      Profile for JonathanTheOmnipotent   Email JonathanTheOmnipotent   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
RedSkull also made tha analogy in his essay. His solution is to wipe them all out, though...
Posts: 237 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 113

- posted      Profile for msquared   Email msquared   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Junepi,

There was an Muslim religious leader by the name of Wahabi or some such. This is the form of Islam that is mainly in Saudi Arabia and is exported around the world. Do a search on google for it and see what you find out.

msquared

Posts: 4002 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page