Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Could we get a more robust Search feature?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Could we get a more robust Search feature?
Redskullvw
Member # 188

- posted      Profile for Redskullvw   Email Redskullvw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know the site is free but we could really handle some better search options such as date specific, or date range?

I am just trying to figure out why Ornery recieved a ton of hits on August 3rd this year. The traffic spike was huge. And im not searching every user to figure out what it was

Posts: 6333 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JonathanTheOmnipotent
Member # 797

- posted      Profile for JonathanTheOmnipotent   Email JonathanTheOmnipotent   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Searching the site with google might work.
Posts: 237 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LetterRip
Member # 310

- posted      Profile for LetterRip   Email LetterRip   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Google has only indexed a couple of pages of Ornery so that wouldn't help.

LetterRip

Posts: 8287 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JonathanTheOmnipotent
Member # 797

- posted      Profile for JonathanTheOmnipotent   Email JonathanTheOmnipotent   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you type in "site:www.ornery.org" (sans quotes) and then the items you're looking for, it'll search the entire ornery site (and nothing else on the web).
Posts: 237 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LetterRip
Member # 310

- posted      Profile for LetterRip   Email LetterRip   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a great deal of experience with google

this search

site:www.ornery.org letterrip
site%3Awww.ornery.org+letterrip

returns ONE result.

As I said, google doesn't index ornery.

Ornery probably doesn't allow spidering, perhaps if we email the moderator, they might be willing to put google in the bots policy so that it can spider and index the comments.

LetterRip

[This message has been edited by LetterRip (edited October 27, 2002).]

Posts: 8287 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Redskullvw
Member # 188

- posted      Profile for Redskullvw   Email Redskullvw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was dealing with alexa.

BTW letterip is right about the numbers of pages google is aware of. Matter of fact Ornery seems to exists in an internet void with only occasional, albit massive page hits.

Most of the time the site is pretty flat line ranked 744670

Posts: 6333 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LetterRip
Member # 310

Red,

thanks, I created a link that shows the data for back 1 and 2 years. (ignore the timescale on the two years, I manipulated the graph url code directly, which is independent of the graph scale information so it only looks like 1 year of data...)
link1
link2

If we compare traffic for ornery and hatrack
compare ornery and hatrack

We see that the spike that we recieved corresponded with a spike for hatrack. Thus, it was probably run off traffic.

Note that the difference between the 200,000th position to 180,000th could represent only four or five Alexis users. If we wanted to up our Alexis rating, all of the Windows IE users on this site could get the Alexis toolbars. (It would be interesting to see how our rank would change...)

LetterRIp

LetterRip
Member # 310

Found a conversion for page rank to daily number of unique visitors -

744670 - is roughly 150-200 unique visitors per day.

168,000 - the most recent large spike,
is 900 to 1000 people.

Hatracks average 168,705 is about our maximums <grin>.

Their maximum 110,000, is equivalent to 1,100.

Unfortunately the graph shown at Alexia cuts off at a rank of 200,000 so we can't see the actual traffic patterns.

Also note that the variability around the line of best fits is sometimes orders of magnitude, so those are some very rough numbers.

LetterRip

Locus
Member # 540

- posted      Profile for Locus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can think of several tools that would be more valuable to me than a search feature.

An ignore button would be nice...

Posts: 678 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page