Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » These people should be killed (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: These people should be killed
Baldar
Member # 669

- posted      Profile for Baldar   Email Baldar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps, but it seems my school of thought has more research behind it and is consists of more objective numbers and is more consistent with critical thought.

Just as Guns Germs and Steel does, did you have a look at the data he referenced?

Posts: 3834 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Animist
Member # 674

- posted      Profile for Animist   Email Animist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Baldar

Here's a fascinating article from the New York Times with implications for both of our arguments:
http://www.iht.com/articles/75372.html

In light of this, and other evidence, I've decided to restate my argument regarding life expectency:

Life expectencies and health in general vary from region to region and from time period to time period, however one thing is constant: The more a group is dependant upon agriculture, the lower its health, including life expectency will be (with the exception of elites, who only exist in agricultural communities; it must be remembered that Northern industrialized states represent a very very large elite in today's global system).

Evidence includes the posted article, Richard Lee's data regarding the !Kung, sections from Guns Germs and Steel (which recent discussion inspired me to reread) and "The Worst Mistake..." by Jared Diamond, including the facts that farmers have much higher population densities, rely on domestic animals (you'd be surprised how many diseases they've brought us; anthrax is just one example), and various comparisons between forager and agriculturalist populations. Diamond demonstrates a drop in life expectency among Plains Indians when they adopted agriculture, and decreases in health among other populations measurable by various factors - in Turkey for example heigh plumeted, from 5'9 average for a man at the end of the Pleistocene to a low of 5'3 for a man 3000 years ago; the 5'9 level still hasn't been reattained in modern times.

Life expectencies among hunter-gatherers vary from 26 to 40 to over 60 years, depending on where and when you are, but they are always better those of farming communities, as is health in general.

Posts: 461 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Baldar
Member # 669

- posted      Profile for Baldar   Email Baldar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good article and food for thought. Excellent response by the way.
Posts: 3834 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LetterRip
Member # 310

- posted      Profile for LetterRip   Email LetterRip   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The shorter lifespan due to nutritional problems depends on the completeness of the protien available from the combined cereal,grains, etc. consumed. Low cancer rates are based on nutrition combined with calorie restriction. So, their findings make sense to me. (Ie see Japan during the 1900's). I'll have to find the book, thank you for the reference.

LetterRip

[This message has been edited by LetterRip (edited November 02, 2002).]

Posts: 8287 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page