Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » A new morals debate

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: A new morals debate
Locus
Member # 540

- posted      Profile for Locus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://reuters.com/news_article.jhtml?type=technologynews&StoryID=1655692

True virtual sex IS coming ...is it still sex?

Is it sex if you have it with a remote person ..but not a machine? Does it matter if the machine is programed with data taken from a real person or a pure simulation?

Would having sex with a person remotely be considered adultry ..but not with a machine?

Fresh meat!!

Posts: 678 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grant Morgan
Member # 194

- posted      Profile for Grant Morgan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If there's not a real-live person on the other end, it's the same as sex with a blow-up doll. Not adultery, just an extravagant form of masturbation. This is the case even if the data was recorded from a real person, as long as this person recorded the data for mass distribution.

If there *is* a live person on the other end (or if a live person recorded the data specifically for your use), then it's the same as regular old sex.

Except for a few things. No fear of unwanted pregnancy. No fear of disease. No fear of a "Fatal Attraction" moment. Less expectation of commitment. So I can imagine many people who normally tend toward monogamous sex becoming wildly promiscuous online.

Posts: 136 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sohryu Asuka Langley
Member # 818

- posted      Profile for Sohryu Asuka Langley   Email Sohryu Asuka Langley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And I thought I had problems... don't you people have useful things to argue about...???
Posts: 98 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Locus
Member # 540

- posted      Profile for Locus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Useful problems..?

...wait until you get into a lawsuit with a future spouse trying to prove that when they were engaging in sex with a virtual partner it constituted breaking your vows. (these types of cases have already occured with current "cybersex")

Or...when you have a teenage kid in 20 years they're having a little bit of "fun" at the arcade...

Change is accelerating...on another thread I spoke of humanity going through an evolutionary cycle in the next 200 years that will completely redefine what it is to "be human"

This development is the next step on that path. It's literally more important than the first telephone call.

Posts: 678 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grant Morgan
Member # 194

- posted      Profile for Grant Morgan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is it really so strange that on a forum sponsored by a writer of speculative fiction that people might do a little speculating?
Posts: 136 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Baldar
Member # 669

- posted      Profile for Baldar   Email Baldar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Many say cyber sex is adultry. Its only electronic though. Strip clubs don't allow you to touch (depends of the def of touch I suppose) the women. Heck if you want to get right down to it, if your wearing a condom technically your not even touching her (or he you). Slippry KY jelly slope?

[This message has been edited by Baldar (edited October 31, 2002).]

Posts: 3834 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maniacal_engineer
Member # 116

- posted      Profile for maniacal_engineer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
it may not be adultery.
But I think that anything that you do, that you would quickly and immediately stop if your spouse came in, is probably a problem.
one of those things that should be sanctioned but not necessarily illegal.

Posts: 962 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Praetorian
Member # 617

- posted      Profile for Praetorian         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(start black humor)

So maybe I'm a little twisted but I couldn't help but wonder if you're going to see VRSTD's.

The computer virus that you get to take to bed with you.

(end black humor)

Posts: 226 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Locus
Member # 540

I suspect it'd take the form of getting hot and heavy ..then opening your eyes to see an advanced stage leper looking back at you.

Examples of a human "computer virus" already exist There are all manners of idealologies that self perpetuate and appear to have detrimental effects on a person's ability to accurately process information.

Locus
Member # 540

(content deleted as it was duplication caused by something blowing up in the posting proccess)

[This message has been edited by Locus (edited November 03, 2002).]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page