Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » The coming automobile revolution (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: The coming automobile revolution
djquag1
Member # 6553

- posted      Profile for djquag1   Email djquag1       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm convinced Tesla was a wizard or a time traveler.
Posts: 769 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 99

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just FYI: the Tesla electric car story is almost certainly a myth. It's nice to imagine, though.
Posts: 22935 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
G3
Member # 6723

- posted      Profile for G3   Email G3       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
I would have thought that you'd be surprised to discover that electric cars and hybrids have become popular enough to make a dent in the collection of gasoline taxes.

Let's check that ...

According to the US Bureau of Transportation Statistics for 2009 there are 254,212,610 registered passenger vehicles. According to the US Energy Information Administration there are 67,295 electric or hybrid cars in 2011. That's about 0.026%.

So, yeah, I'd be very surprised to discover that electric cars and hybrids have become popular enough to make a dent in the collection of gasoline taxes.

Posts: 2234 | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 99

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes. I was speaking firmly tongue-in-cheek.
Posts: 22935 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
G3
Member # 6723

- posted      Profile for G3   Email G3       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sure.
Posts: 2234 | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayward Son
Member # 210

- posted      Profile for Wayward Son   Email Wayward Son   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, according to this site, they said there were 2,126,357 hybrid gas/deisel-electric vehicles in the U.S. in 2011, quite a bit more than 67,000. And it is probably significantly more today.

Not that even these numbers have made a dent in gas tax... [Smile]

Posts: 8681 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
G3
Member # 6723

Yeah, I thought we were talking about electric so bump that percentage up to 0.8%. Significantly more today? I doubt that. These cars are mostly priced for the 1%, they're not cheap and the Obama economy has not been kind the last couple of years. More, sure. I'd think maybe it might reach up to 1%.

But the real question is, after all the subsidies and how this is the moral thing to drive, why is there now a penalty being generated?

djquag1
Member # 6553

- posted      Profile for djquag1   Email djquag1       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's not a penalty. It's a tax.

Gasoline taxes pay for roads. Electric cars use no or very little gasoline. Therefore, electric car owners are not helping to pay for the roads they drive on. This makes up for that.

If 120 dollars a year is going to be a deciding factor in purchasing an electric vehicle, then I seriously doubt the people in question could afford an electric vehicle to begin with.

Also, what is your vision for funding roads in a world where all or most automobiles aren't powered by gasoline anymore?

Posts: 769 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LetterRip
Member # 310

- posted      Profile for LetterRip   Email LetterRip   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
djquang1,

a big problem I have with gasoline taxes, is that the maintenance costs are mostly payed for by average americans, whereas most of the cause of the need for maintenance is from heavy trucks.

Ie result from a study of heavy loads on road maintenance costs,

quote:
The study found that 55% to 65% of
the recent estimates of road wear cost were due to heavy vehicles for the average level of traffic
loading on the bituminous surfaced arterial road network of Australia

http://www.iri.ku.edu/publications/HighwayDamageCosts.pdf

Thus most of the cost is caused by corporations. (Other major issue is that the oil companies lobbied to get cheaper asphault used which greatly reduces road durability) Thus the tax burden should be born primarily by corporations which are causing the cost to be incurred. (Yes the cost would/could be passed on to consumers, but then the specific consumers would experience the costs. Also it would properly allocate externalities, encouraging using transport with a much lower true cost).

Posts: 8287 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 99

I imagine that in such a world, G3 will be waving an axe duct-taped to an assault rifle from the sidecar of an armored motorcycle, his purple mohawk flying in the wind.
djquag1
Member # 6553

Lulz. I don't know if you're poking fun at my question or G3, but I chuckled regardless.
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page