Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » School uniforms?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: School uniforms?
LetterRip
Member # 310

- posted      Profile for LetterRip   Email LetterRip   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is somewhat in response to the clothing with flags on it conversation.

If schools mandated school uniforms - this issue would never had come up and the schools wouldn't have had to deal with the PITA it causes, which distracts them from their actual job of teaching.

Of course there are other pros and cons on this topic

http://www.middleweb.com/INCASEUniforms.html

Are they 'too stifling of kids creativity' or 'oppressing of kids free speech rights'?

Posts: 8287 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hobsen
Member # 2923

- posted      Profile for hobsen   Email hobsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The link covers the main concerns. The parent asking came from a community which probably had no need either for a dress code or uniforms, as there were few problems without them. The responses came from parents who indicated that one or the other could solve some problems, and made no huge difference to students. About gang identifiers I am skeptical, as I suspect ingenious gangs could standardize on yellow shoelaces or a particular style of book cover to show who belongs. Changing the style of dress will not stop serious criminal actions if those commonly occur. But a dress code or uniforms can make things run a bit smoother in some schools. The usual problems come from parental fanatics who expect uniforms to solve everything, or on the other hand fear they will iron out all differences. During my time in the Army I learned it was quite easy to tell people apart even if they dressed the same, and that the individual differences among them remained huge.
Posts: 4387 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grant
Member # 1925

- posted      Profile for Grant   Email Grant       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by hobsen:
The link covers the main concerns. The parent asking came from a community which probably had no need either for a dress code or uniforms, as there were few problems without them. The responses came from parents who indicated that one or the other could solve some problems, and made no huge difference to students. About gang identifiers I am skeptical, as I suspect ingenious gangs could standardize on yellow shoelaces or a particular style of book cover to show who belongs. Changing the style of dress will not stop serious criminal actions if those commonly occur. But a dress code or uniforms can make things run a bit smoother in some schools. The usual problems come from parental fanatics who expect uniforms to solve everything, or on the other hand fear they will iron out all differences. During my time in the Army I learned it was quite easy to tell people apart even if they dressed the same, and that the individual differences among them remained huge.

I agree with the statement concerning the ability to tell people apart. After being in the army long enough I was generally able to tell an individual's rank from the way they walked and carried themselves. It was a fun guessing game we would play amongst ourselves. I'm afraid it does not translate over to the civilian world very well. Most civilians purposefully avoid eye contact or looking at other people, especially in public places. My wife is always jumping on me for "staring" at people. I try to tell her it's all about situational awareness.
Posts: 3264 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 99

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not a huge fan of uniforms; I think the problems they solve aren't actually the problems they're intended to address, and I'm nonconformist enough that they make my skin crawl.
Posts: 22935 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSRT
Member # 6454

- posted      Profile for PSRT   Email PSRT   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You really think that students wouldn't have found other ways to be offensive if they had to wear a uniform?

I'm with Tom. Uniforms don't really solve anything.

Posts: 2152 | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clark
Member # 2727

- posted      Profile for Clark   Email Clark   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It solves the problem of figuring out what to wear each morning!

I guess your school experience wasn't as traumatic as mine! (Actually, I didn't care then what I wore, other than the vague worries that I had worn that set of clothes to school 3 days previous. I care so little about what I'm wearing that half the days of my life if you blindfolded me and then asked me what I was wearing, I might not know.)

edit: ARG! I screwed up your/you're. I'm an idiot.

[ May 12, 2010, 07:40 PM: Message edited by: Clark ]

Posts: 420 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grant
Member # 1925

- posted      Profile for Grant   Email Grant       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I went to private school. I had to wear uniforms most of the time, but I liked it better when we simply had a dress code.

Like Tom and PSRT say, the non-conformists won't be able to handle being in uniform, and they will simply find other ways to express themselves. If they want to be offensive they will find some new way, then they will be punished, new rule, and the cycle begins again.

Uniforms are not a magic bullet, but they have been instituted in many school districts and from what I understand there have been some positive results. I bet LR can find plenty of source material on the results of uniform codes.

Posts: 3264 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 99

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*nod* One positive benefit of uniforms seems to be that they actually instill some sense of formal discipline in students who otherwise don't recognize that school is not meant to be a social club; the jarring effect of enforced appearance demarcates "school" from "home" in the same way that a work uniform does. In a school uniform, students are "on duty."

This effect vanishes once all the schools in an area wear uniforms, however, and students begin wearing their uniforms around the clock.

Posts: 22935 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page