Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Yes, people ARE idiots.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Yes, people ARE idiots.
Everard
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Recent polls suggest that the Clean Elections law in MA is supported by about 2/3 of voters in the state, and this support is with knowledge of what the law means in regards to funding.

On the ballot yesterday was a question "Do you support tax payer money being used to support elections?"

MA voters returned with "No."

Gotta love people who don't know what they're reading.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 113

- posted      Profile for msquared   Email msquared   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ev,

Not all people are idiots, just those in MA.

I mean look who they vote for for Senator.

msquared

Posts: 4002 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Everard
unregistered

Nah, I think the idiocy holds.

People don't PAY ATTENTION! At all. Its frustrating. They must have not understood one or the other of the questions.

TomDavidson
Member # 99

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's the wording. If you say "should federal money be used to keep elections honest," people will say yes. If you say "should taxes be increased to pay for elections," people will say no.
Posts: 22935 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pete at Home
Member # 429

- posted      Profile for Pete at Home   Email Pete at Home   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Tom. Wording misleads.
Posts: 44193 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 113

- posted      Profile for msquared   Email msquared   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now Tom there I agree with you. I also think you make a valid point. I think any proposal that requires the government to do something should be worded so that people know that their tax dollars are being used. Too many people think, "Well it is federal money doing it" with out realizing that all government money is OUR money.

msquared

Posts: 4002 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LetterRip
Member # 310

- posted      Profile for LetterRip   Email LetterRip   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is a major difference between raising taxes, and using federal money. One is a change in the tax rate, the other is a reallocation of taxes paid. Thus I would vote against the first, and for the second.

As to different results in the polls versus actual results - this could be attributed more to how opinions are distributed, with non-voters being much more likely than voters to dislike how elections are currently funded.

LetterRip

Posts: 8287 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian
Member # 588

- posted      Profile for Brian   Email Brian   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pete is back! YAY!!

What is the hypertext for a smiley-face wearing a party hat and blowing out one of those rolled-up noise makers?

Okay, I just read Pete's post on the elections, so obviously my 'welcome back' is a bit late. Just pretend that this post is actually in that thread.

[This message has been edited by Brian (edited November 07, 2002).]

Posts: 359 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Allen
Member # 238

- posted      Profile for Dan Allen         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ev, was there any campaign backlashes from how the Clean Elections money was used in MA like there was in AZ?

Posts: 1015 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Everard
unregistered

There never WAS money. There was a HUGE battle between the SJC and the legislature about funding the initiative, with the SJC saying that a ballot passed initiative must be funded by the legislature, according to the state constitution, and the legislature refusing. This rewording of the question was put on the ballot by the legislature so that they could have an excuse not to fund clean elections... which they now will continue not to do, even though the law is still on the books and still supported by a huge majority of both the people of the state, and voters of the state. Incidentally, 70% or so of MA voters turned out on tuesday, and clean elections typically gets 67% or better support in polls, and was passed by a huge majority when it was on the ballot. So, there could have been an odd distribution, but I'm betting against it.
Dan Allen
Member # 238

So "Clean Elections" is not actually working in MA yet? I had misunderstood then.

This was the first election in AZ where money actually went to the candidates. Part of the promise was that the candidates had to agree to no negative campaigning to receive any money.

This campaign was so negative, that there is actually talk of recinding the law.

Posts: 1015 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LetterRip
Member # 310

- posted      Profile for LetterRip   Email LetterRip   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What I'd like instead is to give a few 15 minute or half hour tv spots to each candidate plus numerous radio spots. If you are not doing 30 seconds, then it is a lot harder for mom and apple pie to be your only positives. If any campaign spot could be deemed as unfairly negative (perhaps by some sort of multi-party panel), then the opposition gets a spot of equal length to present the action in a different light. So you lose much of the benefits of mud slinging since you give your opponent more cumulative time than you recieve.

LetterRip

Posts: 8287 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Everard
unregistered

I sorta like that. I have to think about it a bit, though.
TheSilentAssassin
Member # 829

- posted      Profile for TheSilentAssassin   Email TheSilentAssassin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
actually, that only works if the panel that controls the decision is impartial. If one party or the other controls that panel, then it will be mudslinging on one side, unpenalized, and the other side will have their hands tied. Creating a truly impartial committee would be nigh impossible.
Posts: 15 | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dyany
Member # 773

- posted      Profile for dyany     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps -- but if you get a committee that simply hates all politicians, it would be fair -- and ridiculously easy to put together.

Dy

P.S. Idaho just voted against term limits, because it was worded 'do you agree with the repealing of term limits?' only in a far more confusing way. Now, I'm actually glad they repealed it because term limits are (IMHO) a stupid way of saying 'we're too stupid to vote out bad representatives', but most of the state wanted 'em, so I just have to sit back and chuckle.

Posts: 47 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Allen
Member # 238

quote:
actually, that only works if the panel that controls the decision is impartial. If one party or the other controls that panel, then it will be mudslinging on one side, unpenalized, and the other side will have their hands tied. Creating a truly impartial committee would be nigh impossible.

This is the clearest failure of the Arizona Clean Elections Commission during this last election. Candidates who didn't even accept clean elections funds were publicly investigated for violations - that didn't happen, while other candidates used clean election monies to produce blatant attacks on their opponents - while the commission stood asside and did nothing.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page