Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Set phasers to "nuke"

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Set phasers to "nuke"
Grant
Member # 1925

- posted      Profile for Grant   Email Grant       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
The U.S. military has tested a vehicle-mounted device in Afghanistan that uses microwaves to create an intense heating sensation on the skin. The Active Denial System is designed as a nonlethal weapon for safer crowd control vs. firearms. There are no plans yet to deploy it. A two-second blast reportedly can heat the skin to 130 degrees. But someone in a beam’s path would immediately get out of the way before the skin starts burning, which might occur after more than four minutes of sustained exposure.
I wonder if Coppertone will now become a energy weapon countermeasure.

What happens if somebody is carrying tin foil in their pocket?

Sterilization? War crime? Geneva convention? Inhumane?

For real. 100 years from now, our great grandchildren will look down on us as barbarians for using bullets. Heck, there are plenty of people around today who think using bullets is barbaric. It's a brave new world. I hope one day one of my ancestors will look down on me favorably and comment on the advantages of the finality of the bullet.

Posts: 3205 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JoshuaD
Member # 1420

- posted      Profile for JoshuaD   Email JoshuaD   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
There are no plans yet to deploy it. A two-second blast reportedly can heat the skin to 130 degrees. But someone in a beam’s path would immediately get out of the way before the skin starts burning, which might occur after more than four minutes of sustained exposure.
Hrm. Over-under on when someone doesn't immediately get out of the way?
Posts: 3491 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JoshCrow
Member # 6048

- posted      Profile for JoshCrow   Email JoshCrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by JoshuaD:

Not that it's impossible, but try holding your hand on a hot stove out of sheer will and you'll understand why this isn't an issue in all but cases where a person has become paralyzed or unconscious.

Incidentally, this weapon is fantastic - it's the closest thing to a harmless crowd dispersant.

[ June 22, 2010, 12:12 PM: Message edited by: JoshCrow ]

Posts: 1915 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pete at Home
Member # 429

- posted      Profile for Pete at Home   Email Pete at Home   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't realize that crowd dispersal was a major issue in the Afghan mission. Seems this could save lives and eyes in Israel.
Posts: 42013 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grant
Member # 1925

- posted      Profile for Grant   Email Grant       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by JoshCrow:
quote:

Not that it's impossible, but try holding your hand on a hot stove out of sheer will and you'll understand why this isn't an issue in all but cases where a person has become paralyzed or unconscious.

Incidentally, this weapon is fantastic - it's the closest thing to a harmless crowd dispersant.

I don't know if I'd call it "fantastic". It probably costs an arm and a leg. It probably has severe maintenance issues and requirements. It probably has reliability and weather limitations, all new weapons do. If I was a company commander of an MP company in Afghanistan, I might think it was neat, but I wouldn't trade it for my CS gas.

Of course, it'll probably be a huge hit on CNN. Just don't expect third world countries, or even second world countries, to start dispersing crowds with phaser beams anytime soon.

Posts: 3205 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JoshCrow
Member # 6048

- posted      Profile for JoshCrow   Email JoshCrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Full disclosure - I'm an engineer who works in the microwave band... perhaps my enthusiasm is a little bit biased. [Smile]
Posts: 1915 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 945

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wouldn't this damage eyes pretty quickly? I wouldn't think that a cornea can tolerate much heating.
Posts: 6343 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grant
Member # 1925

quote:
Full disclosure - I'm an engineer who works in the microwave band... perhaps my enthusiasm is a little bit biased. [Smile]

HA!!

Entirely forgivable. For an engineer, heh heh.

This thing sounds like an engineer's bukake fantasy.

JoshCrow
Member # 6048

quote:
Originally posted by scifibum:
Wouldn't this damage eyes pretty quickly? I wouldn't think that a cornea can tolerate much heating.

It doesn't reach the cornea, which is protected by the sclera (~1mm thick). The rays are absorbed within 0.04mm of skin material (and, I presume, are similarly dissipated in the sclera) Long-term exposure would be a problem, though.

[ June 22, 2010, 01:16 PM: Message edited by: JoshCrow ]

yossarian22c
Member # 1779

- posted      Profile for yossarian22c   Email yossarian22c       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your eyes would probably close very quickly and the rest of your body would be moving soon after. I doubt any permanent damage would be done.
Posts: 1005 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 945

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't believe the sclera protects the cornea, it just adjoins it. There's an epithelial layer over the cornea but it's only about .05mm.

I guess people would squint and turn pretty quickly, though. It does seem like a matter of time until somebody gets grotesquely burned by this through some kind of error.

Posts: 6343 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Drake
Member # 2128

- posted      Profile for The Drake   Email The Drake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

That depends if someone has a Gom Jabbar to your throat.
Posts: 7604 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 113

- posted      Profile for msquared   Email msquared   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Point to Drake.

msquared

Posts: 3992 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JWatts
Member # 6523

- posted      Profile for JWatts   Email JWatts   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This system has been out for some time:
quote:
A fully operational and mounted system was demonstrated on January 24, 2007, at Moody Air Force Base, Georgia, United States.
But it seems pretty questionable for a military role. It looks much more like something for police departments. Generally, it would be most useful in hostile crowd situations where you want to avoid hurting anyone and you don't expect too much counter violence.

It might be preferable to tear gas, but it's likely to be a lot more expensive upfront, so its potential usefulness seems limited.

As to the comment about wearing tin foil in your pocket, well that would probably be a mistake you would only make once. [Embarrassed]

[ June 22, 2010, 02:54 PM: Message edited by: JWatts ]

Posts: 4700 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grant
Member # 1925

quote:
Originally posted by JWatts:
This system has been out for some time:
quote:
A fully operational and mounted system was demonstrated on January 24, 2007, at Moody Air Force Base, Georgia, United States.
But it seems pretty questionable for a military role. It looks much more like something for police departments. Generally, it would be most useful in hostile crowd situations where you want to avoid hurting anyone and you don't expect too much counter violence.

It might be preferable to tear gas, but it's likely to be a lot more expensive upfront, so its potential usefulness seems limited.

Heh heh. The US military is the only people around with the money to spend on these kinds of projects. The LAPD doesn't quite have the budget. And these energy weapons aren't stopping at crowd dispersers. This is just a part of development. They're going to continue to develop this thing until they can boil somebody's brain inside a tank 100 miles away.
JWatts
Member # 6523

- posted      Profile for JWatts   Email JWatts   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Grant:
They're going to continue to develop this thing until they can boil somebody's brain inside a tank 100 miles away.

I don't think you are going to manage that trick with microwaves, but yes the military is actively working on high power solid-state laser weapons. I think the tanks will survive, but I imagine the days of manned military aircraft are quickly coming to a close.

If it flies it dies.
quote:
On March 18, 2009 Northrop Grumman announced that its engineers in Redondo Beach had successfully built and tested an electric laser capable of producing a 100-kilowatt ray of light, powerful enough to destroy cruise missiles, artillery, rockets and mortar rounds.[6] An electric laser is theoretically capable, according to Brian Strickland, manager for the United States Army's Joint High Power Solid State Laser program, of being mounted in an aircraft, ship, or vehicle because it requires much less space for its supporting equipment than a chemical laser.
Source
Posts: 4700 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TommySama
Member # 2780

- posted      Profile for TommySama   Email TommySama       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Disperse, citizens. Your foreign occupiers demand you get a certificate to march on your land."
Posts: 6388 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JoshCrow
Member # 6048

quote:
Originally posted by The Drake:
quote:

That depends if someone has a Gom Jabbar to your throat.
I'm not sure the military minds behind this have accounted for the Bene Gesserit.
JoshuaD
Member # 1420

- posted      Profile for JoshuaD   Email JoshuaD   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:

Lol, so I repeat: Over-under on how long it takes for someone to die?
Posts: 3491 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grant
Member # 1925

Depends on weather you're using energizer batteries or not.
JWatts
Member # 6523

quote:
quote:
quote:

Lol, so I repeat: Over-under on how long it takes for someone to die?
I want to officially start the internet rumor that wearing a tin foil hat will protect you from the evil military complex's microwaves. I also recommend wearing a tin foil condom for added protection.
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

- posted      Profile for kenmeer livermaile   Email kenmeer livermaile       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When used, it will probably create a stampede in which people are seriously injured, even killed.
Posts: 23297 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Greg Davidson
Member # 3377

- posted      Profile for Greg Davidson   Email Greg Davidson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
JWatts, the laser guys are right across the street from my building. In addition to JHPSSL, Northrop is also working on Maritime Laser Demo, a ship-based system that can safely take out small boats.
Posts: 3695 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pete at Home
Member # 429

- posted      Profile for Pete at Home   Email Pete at Home   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by kenmeer livermaile:
When used, it will probably create a stampede in which people are seriously injured, even killed.

More so than the firing of rubber bullets, the use of tear gas, etc.?
Posts: 42013 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pete at Home
Member # 429

I'm more afraid of a sadistic cop misusing it on people who are trapped, or for torture purposes.
yossarian22c
Member # 1779

- posted      Profile for yossarian22c   Email yossarian22c       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember seeing this demonstrated on a discovery show a while back, it was pretty big and mounted on a truck. So I don't think we have to worry about individual cops using it like a taser yet.
Posts: 1005 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JWatts
Member # 6523

quote:
Originally posted by Greg Davidson:
JWatts, the laser guys are right across the street from my building. In addition to JHPSSL, Northrop is also working on Maritime Laser Demo, a ship-based system that can safely take out small boats.

Cool. [Smile]
Pete at Home
Member # 429

Some combo of satelites, lasers, drones, and databases could virtually clear the South China sea of pirates.
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

- posted      Profile for kenmeer livermaile   Email kenmeer livermaile       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"More so than the firing of rubber bullets, the use of tear gas, etc.?"

Probably about the same. Therefore, the only "improvement" it offers, that I can see, is gee whiz factor. Tear gas at least has the virtue of somewhat disabling persons it inflicts with agony that renders them irrational to the point of violence.

But burning someone doesn't necessarily disable them yet inflicts severe pain. People in severe pain that aren't disabled are extremely dangerous entities.

Posts: 23297 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pete at Home
Member # 429

Unless you get hit in the face with a canister, or with glass from where the canister popped through the window. Rubber bullets kill, blind and maim as well. Since all of the above may cause casualties from mob stampeding, the total effect may actually be considerably safer. And mob excitement itself may result in trampling deaths. All told, this device may save more lives than it ends. And at the end of the day, that's really all you can say about safety belts, helmets, airbags, and vaccines. Used safely, they usually save more lives than they kill.

[ June 23, 2010, 12:49 AM: Message edited by: Pete at Home ]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page