Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Corruption in Gulf payouts?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Corruption in Gulf payouts?
msquared
Member # 113

- posted      Profile for msquared   Email msquared   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was listening to NPR this morning and they had a section about how some local community groups are upset that the BP Payout fund is requiring things like tax returns to get payouts from the fund.

Basically, much of the economy down there is done in cash with no records. Hmm could someone be violating federal law by not declaring all their income and not paying taxes on it. Maybe even getting other low income benefits while still having a real income over the level required for those benefits?

Sorry, if you want to flaunt the law and not report all your income, you don't get to cry about it now.

msquared

Posts: 4002 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aupton15
Member # 1771

- posted      Profile for aupton15   Email aupton15   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep, I heard the report and thought basically the same thing. I am not without compassion for anyone who loses their income for reasons beyond their control, but you can't reasonably expect a cash payout for lost income when you never reported the income in the first place.
Posts: 1445 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grant
Member # 1925

- posted      Profile for Grant   Email Grant       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the thread should be re-titled, "Lack of Corruption in Gulf Payouts." That would certainly be more shocking to Plaquamine Parish, whose Sheriff is under indictment I think for some form of "this is the way things are done down here" corruption.
Posts: 3264 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
flydye
Member # 6554

- posted      Profile for flydye   Email flydye       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm. I was thinking of getting a shrimping boat somewhere cheap and seeing if I could get on the gravy train. Not really, but I'm sure someone is doing it.
Posts: 702 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JWatts
Member # 6523

- posted      Profile for JWatts   Email JWatts   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL I wonder if Bubba Gump Shrimp is still available?

Nope, it looks like it's been taken.
Bubba Gump

As to the individuals not having any proof of income, I'd love to see some agents of the IRS investigate those individuals past income.

Posts: 4700 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aupton15
Member # 1771

- posted      Profile for aupton15   Email aupton15   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Auditing people who have just lost their livelihood for an indefinite period of time may be a little harsh. I'm content to let them deal with the consequences of not paying taxes in the past without trying to hound them for it now. Though I don't put anything past the IRS.
Posts: 1445 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michelle
Member # 3237

- posted      Profile for Michelle   Email Michelle       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some of them could have earned an amount under the minimum federal guidelines for reporting.

How much does it cost to own a shack?

Posts: 800 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JWatts
Member # 6523

- posted      Profile for JWatts   Email JWatts   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by aupton15:
Auditing people who have just lost their livelihood for an indefinite period of time may be a little harsh. I'm content to let them deal with the consequences of not paying taxes in the past without trying to hound them for it now. Though I don't put anything past the IRS.

Your right it would be harsh and uncalled for.

quote:
Originally posted by Michelle:
Some of them could have earned an amount under the minimum federal guidelines for reporting.

How much does it cost to own a shack?

That seems a little condescending, most Gulf coast residents aren't living in shacks.

[ June 29, 2010, 11:35 PM: Message edited by: JWatts ]

Posts: 4700 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 113

- posted      Profile for msquared   Email msquared   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Michelle

As far as I remember from my tax class, there is no min for reporting, there is a min before you pay anything. You just report the small amount and then show you owe nothing. Hell, you have to file your return just to get some of the paybacks the Gov. gives to everyone when they do the rebates, etc.

msquared

Posts: 4002 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
flydye
Member # 6554

- posted      Profile for flydye   Email flydye       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by aupton15:

Karma is enough.

[ June 30, 2010, 11:07 AM: Message edited by: flydye ]

Posts: 702 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michelle
Member # 3237

- posted      Profile for Michelle   Email Michelle       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
That seems a little condescending, most Gulf coast residents aren't living in shacks.
My apologizes, I didn't mean it to come out that way.

quote:
As far as I remember from my tax class, there is no min for reporting, there is a min before you pay anything. You just report the small amount and then show you owe nothing. Hell, you have to file your return just to get some of the paybacks the Gov. gives to everyone when they do the rebates, etc.
I suspect there must be quite a few out there who think that 'reporting' and 'filing' are the same thing. You don't have to file if you make below a certain dollar figure.

For a single person --I believe the figure is around 9K.

Posts: 800 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page