Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » The new senate committee chairman

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The new senate committee chairman
Baldar
Member # 669

- posted      Profile for Baldar   Email Baldar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This being a more political and analytical forum I was wondering what some thought of the coming changes.

Appropriations committee:
Was Robert Byrd (West VA)
Now Ted Stevens (Alaska)

Good friends, Stevens likes exploiting oil deposits. Not adverse to social spending

Armed Services
Was Carl Levin (Mich)
Now John Warner (VA)

Warner, former short term husband to Elizabeth Taylor, will also nod to VA ship builders. Warner is also more pro Bush where Iraqi policy is concerned.

Banking, Housing and Urban affairs
Was Paul Sarbanes (Md)
Now Richard Shelby (Ala)

Very much a change. Shelby is pro business and conservative but also an independent minded populist where Ala is concerned. Big critic of Harvey Pitt.

Budget
Was Kent Conrad (ND)
Now Don Nickles (Okla)

Big HUGE change. Nickles is a defecit hawk, hates big government and loves tax cuts (libertarian in republican clothing?)

Commerce, Science and Transportation
Was Ernest Hollings (SC)
Now John McCain (Ariz)

Amtrak is now screwed for sure. But the Baby bells and big media companies are happy with the idea. McCain is pretty tough on business though and enjoys bucking the trend.

Energy and Natural Resources
Was Jeff Bingham (NM)
Now Pete Domenici (NM)

Pretty much the same except that Domenici is not so nice to environmentalists on energy use. Can
we pave Anwar, huh? Can we Can we???

Environmental and Public Works
Was Jim Jeffords (Vt) (soon to be republican again?)
Now James Inhofe (Okla)

We jump from the party crossing green independent who handed it all to the dem's in the first place (hey thats right they never "won" the senate, well dems claim we never "won" the presidency, so its all good). Inofe from Okla, the short of it, loves oil, loves business, loves to be conservative.

Finance
Was Max Baucus (Mont)
Now Charles Grassley (Iowa)

Pretty much the same. Both independent, both challanging of Bush. Grassley is one of the most underestimated senators in the Senate.

Foreign Relations
Was Joseph Biden (Del)
Now Richard Lugar (ind)

Lugar, unlike the gun, does not shoot off at the hip and is a respected foreign policy intellectual. He is
also skeptical of Bush meaning that an Iraq conflict is not a lock.

Government Affairs
Was Joseph (censorship is good) Lieberman (Conn)
Now Susan (not Barnabas) Collins (Maine)

Lieberman was a pres. hopeful (still is) and aggressively investigated Bush in preperation for the next
presidential election. Collins won't .

Investigations sub committee
Was Carl Levin (Mich)
New Susan (I can do it all) Collins (Maine)

Levin was a tough investigator. Guess what Collins isn't?

Health Education Labor and Pensions
Was Edward (I'll drive) Kennedy (Mass)
New Judd (you may not know me but....) Gregg

Left wing icon loses his role to middle of the road Gregg. Gregg is big on education but dislikes unions, watch the NEA commercials fly.

Judiciary
Was Patrick (Hold them at all costs) Leahy (Vt)
Now Orrin (let slip the dogs of justice) Hatch (Ut)

Here come the judge, here come the judge

Intelligence (a committee that is an oxymoron in politics).

Was Bob Graham (Fla)
Now John Kyle(Ariz) or Pat (no I don't preach) Roberts (Kan)

Pretty bipartisn committee for the most part because they get most of the info. No big changes here.

In essence, shout, cry, demean, what ever, it looks like this is how it will be.

Posts: 3834 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cedrios
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ted Stevens was chair of that before, and has always been the Pork Barrel King. It really irks me that Alaska recieves so much Federal aid it doesn't need because he'll only support money for a bill if it includes somehwere in its recesses of text some butter for Alaska.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Baldar
Member # 669

- posted      Profile for Baldar   Email Baldar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually Ced, Byrd is the Pork Barrel king, you need to get your facts straight. He made sure there was a billion dollars of guaranteed loans for the steel mills located in his state. A $750,000 added by the Senate for aquaculture product and marketing in West Virginia, home of Sen. Robert Byrd (D-W.Va.), the ranking member on the Appropriations Committee. Since 1998, $2,850,000 has been appropriated for this research. Robert C. Byrd, secured $6.9 million for West Virginia University, $2.9 million for the "mountaineer doctor" program, $2 million for a new center on obesity and $2 million to establish a "virtual medical campus" with computers.

Oh yes, what makes them fat in West VA? Pork, lots and lots of pork.

quote:
One of the University of Idaho's partners in the Lewis and Clark project was Wheeling Jesuit University in West Virginia. Twenty years ago, the tiny school had fewer than 1,000 students and was on the verge of going under. Then, Wheeling Jesuit's president made a new friend: Sen. Robert Byrd, D-W.Va.

During his 44 years in the Senate, Byrd's legendary ability to bring home the bacon to his West Virginia constituents has earned him the title of "King of Pork" from the Citizens Against Government Waste. Byrd did not respond to a request to be interviewed for this story.

As chairman of the Senate Appropriations Committee, Byrd helps shape all federal budgets. He increasingly has taken an interest in NASA's.

Byrd began tapping the agency more than a decade ago for money to develop a federal clearinghouse for technical information that distributes government research results to commercial users. Since 1991, NASA has invested $87 million in Wheeling Jesuit's Robert C. Byrd National Technology Transfer Center.

That facility shouldn't be confused with the Robert C. Byrd Institute for Composites Technology and Training Center in Bridgeport, W.Va., developed in partnership with NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center at a cost to the agency of $5 million since 2001. A parent organization of the Bridgeport center, the Robert C. Byrd Institute for Advanced Flexible Manufacturing, also works with NASA.

The Wheeling Jesuit campus is home to another product of taxpayer largesse, the NASA-funded Classroom of the Future. The facility has received $2 million annually during the past five years. Designed to stimulate students' interest in math and science, the Classroom of the Future houses a Challenger Learning Center, which also received a $475,000 NASA earmark in 2002.

by MICHAEL CABBAGE
Knight Ridder Tribune News Service.

When you called Ted Stevens the king of Pork I assumed that you were just plain ignorant of Washington DC where everyone acknowledges that Byrd is the number one undisputed King of Pork, both sides of the aisle acknowledge that. I find it hard to believe you didn't know that, or are you being wilfully decietful?

Posts: 3834 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cedrios
unregistered

excuse me, are you saying Byrd was the chair in 1998? Also, you don't seem to be aware of how many MILLIONS of dollars Stevens managed to get added into various bills dealing with generic west coast energy policies that wound up in the form of over 6 million$(from ONE bill dealing with suggested policy for mass energy grid transfers) for more incentives and subsidies in the Prudhoe Bay operations and BP North Slope exploration and expansion program. AHEM, why the HECK was that HUGE sum of cash offered solely to BP??? and Phillips and Tesoro COMPLETELY cut out of the deal? Look, you can say what you want about Byrd, but the three Alaskan Congressmen, especially Stevens and Young, have been known as the Pork Barrel Kings, given the sparsely populated state they live in and the enormous amount of funds they get pumped into it. Murkowski was not so bad, but now he is running for governor and will prob. get elected too, the current democrat has already done two terms.

[This message has been edited by Cedrios (edited November 07, 2002).]

Baldar
Member # 669

Ced

Pork Barrel is a fact of life in both houses on both sides, but Byrd is the undisputed king, look it up and stop obsfucating.

Cedrios
unregistered

please show me how he beat more than 6 million in creme on one bill, thats NOT obfuscating.
Baldar
Member # 669

Ced, you still don't get it do you. Look up Google, pork barrel and tell me how often Byrd's name comes up. Stop being so wilfully ignorant. A one shot pork barrel project is nothing compared to Byrd moving whole agencies to West VA. You are completely clueless, don't take my word for it look it up yourself. Then come back to. Stop lying to yourself, it makes you look ridiculous. Check it out for your own sake.
Cedrios
unregistered

Actually I ran the search and found over ten pages talking about McCain and one other republican Senator. I suppose if you included the terms "Byrd" it would help but then its a outcome-based search anyway. Look I'm not lying to myself, ok? stop with the standard, abusive rhetoric.
Baldar
Member # 669

Try "king of pork barrel"
Baldar
Member # 669

Cedrios you views on this point are so skewed from reality to not even rise to the level of thoughtful opinon. I can only conclude that you are lying to yourself.
Cedrios
unregistered

lol, listen to yourself, you can't possibly be serious. how could you, who doesn't know me, possibly make those kind of judgments? Sometimes I think your just so extremely insulting that your just trying to be funny. I think it is kind of funny, in a negative way, I guess.
Cedrios
unregistered

ok, I just ran a search on excite AND google with the following terms grouped by quotation marks in the order you requested.

"king of pork barrel"

On google the first thing that came up was Stevens and the petroleum reserve.
there were more links about Stevens, THEN, halfway down the page it had ONE site that had Senator Byrd in it.

TomDavidson
Member # 99

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can we agree that BOTH senators are unabashed pigs?

Posts: 22935 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Baldar
Member # 669

Your not being honest Ced.

Google, with the quotation marks for king of pork barrel king of pork barrel

Tom:

I agree that both ate at the trough, but Byrd is huge for it, bigger than anyone else.

Cedrios
unregistered

Baldar, I appologize, when you do the quotes Byrd is SECOND. Can you please tell us about the FIRST thing that comes up?
Baldar
Member # 669

Franklin Delano Roosevelt? Technically promising do nothing jobs to the entire nation does qualify as pork, but he's dead.
Pete at Home
Member # 429

- posted      Profile for Pete at Home   Email Pete at Home   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Friends, we are in the middle of the biggest economic crisis since the great depression AND the biggest military emergency since the Civil War. Don't we have anything better to quibble over than the relative girth of a pair of porkers?

quote:
We jump from the party crossing green independent who handed it all to the dem's in the first place (hey thats right they never "won" the senate, well dems claim we never "won" the presidency, so its all good).

Baldar, that rhetoric is *so* last week. Why would a Republican consciously emulate the petty whining tactic that just cost the Democrats the senate and the Florida governorship?

Sadly since the Democrats buried JFK and his legacy decades ago, I have gotten used to Democrats treating republicans as if they were a bigger threat than all of the US' external foes combined. When a couple of moron Democrats did the camera thing from IRAQ and said that Bush was a bigger threat than Saddam, THAT was just business as usual. But I am not used to the Republicans doing the same things with the Democrats ... one of the few remaining threads that binds me to the Republican party is that I can at least count on Republicans to pay lip service to the idea that our country's military foes should be a greater focus of our enmity than the Republicans' election opponents. I hope that this victory does not fill my party with Clintonic arrogance to the point that we abandon this thin strip of higher moral ground.

Posts: 44193 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page