Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Hurry and get your kids on the garbage truck

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Hurry and get your kids on the garbage truck
Pete at Home
Member # 429

- posted      Profile for Pete at Home   Email Pete at Home   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You ever rush your kids outside because you mistook the sound of the garbage truck for the sound of the school bus?

I hope the kids don't take it too personally.

Posts: 44193 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyrtolin
Member # 2638

- posted      Profile for Pyrtolin   Email Pyrtolin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At this hour? There's mistakes, and then there's mean [Smile]
Posts: 11997 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pete at Home
Member # 429

- posted      Profile for Pete at Home   Email Pete at Home   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Naw, it was 8AM
Posts: 44193 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayward Son
Member # 210

- posted      Profile for Wayward Son   Email Wayward Son   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At least you didn't to it to them on a Saturday.

^ ^
[Big Grin]

Posts: 8681 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JWatts
Member # 6523

- posted      Profile for JWatts   Email JWatts   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pyrtolin:
At this hour? There's mistakes, and then there's mean [Smile]

LOL, I didn't catch the 2am time stamp the first time I looked at this.

Hasn't everyone at one time or another experienced their mother/father forgetting it was a holiday or Saturday and waking them up for school. Getting ready. Walking outside, only to realize there aren't any other kids waiting on the school bus.

But when you realize the mistake and get to go back inside, kick off your sneakers and watch cartoons, it makes the day seem 3 times better. [Smile]

Posts: 4700 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pete at Home
Member # 429

I wrote about it at 2AM, but it had happened at 8 am. And to both my wife and I, on multiple days, between 7:30 and 8:00 am. It really does sound like the school bus.
DonaldD
Member # 1052

- posted      Profile for DonaldD   Email DonaldD   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What... the driver yelling, kids screaming, stuff like that?

Remind me not to look too closely into your garbage trucks...

Posts: 10751 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pete at Home
Member # 429

The sound of a large vehicle creaking loudly uphill, then coming to a halt outside my bedroom window.
scifibum
Member # 945

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The buses around here don't come quite that close to our house.

I've done the last minute sprint to the garbage truck many, many times, though.

Posts: 6847 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jordan
Member # 2159

- posted      Profile for Jordan   Email Jordan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
JW:
Hasn't everyone at one time or another experienced their mother/father forgetting it was a holiday or Saturday and waking them up for school. Getting ready. Walking outside, only to realize there aren't any other kids waiting on the school bus.

Once I got up to find that mum had seemingly slept in, got dressed and walked to school. Finally, with some help from a passer-by, I found out that it was the beginning of half term, but not before I'd spent half an hour trying to work out why the doors were locked and scared my mum half to death. [Big Grin]
Posts: 2147 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clark
Member # 2727

- posted      Profile for Clark   Email Clark   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pete: did this happen recently? Do your kids go to school in July?

More than once I've woken up, and started getting ready for the day only to eventually figure out that it was still the middle of the night. Once my dad knocked on the bathroom door as I was showering asking me what I was doing in there at 3am. Another time I was dressed and even had a bowl of cereal poured before I figured out that it was about 2am. Each time I had just woken up and it felt like the night was over. The 2 or 3 times I've done this were back when I was about 12-14 years old. Please tell me I'm not the only one this crazy.

Posts: 420 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clark
Member # 2727

- posted      Profile for Clark   Email Clark   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
More stories!

My family and my aunts family met up once to watch a horse parade in town. Together there were 8 kids ranging from about 3 to 13. We picked out a nice spot on the sidewalk, spread out the blankets, got out our KFC and waited for the parade to come. After a little while (and no other spectators gathering) my dad and aunt (no other adults in the group) went off to a nearby store or somewhere to figure out if they had showed up an hour early or on accident. While they were away, a police officer, seeing 8 kids on the side of the road with KFC stopped to see what was going on. We told him we were waiting for the horse parade to which he responded "I hope it's not today, I'm supposed to be in it." We'd showed up early alright. 24 hours early.

Posts: 420 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 945

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Clark:
Pete: did this happen recently? Do your kids go to school in July?

More than once I've woken up, and started getting ready for the day only to eventually figure out that it was still the middle of the night. Once my dad knocked on the bathroom door as I was showering asking me what I was doing in there at 3am. Another time I was dressed and even had a bowl of cereal poured before I figured out that it was about 2am. Each time I had just woken up and it felt like the night was over. The 2 or 3 times I've done this were back when I was about 12-14 years old. Please tell me I'm not the only one this crazy.

I've started to get ready for school at around 8 pm before. If it was dark outside, though, I was checking the clock.
Posts: 6847 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chael
Member # 2436

- posted      Profile for Chael   Email Chael   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Clark, I've done that (woken up, felt perfectly rested, gotten ready to go.. and in the midst of doing so, realized that it was four in the morning or something) so many times that for about a year the first thing I did when I woke up was look at my watch. Even that doesn't help me when my eyes are blurry and I can't tell the big hand from the little hand. [Wink] So now I just don't get up until my alarm goes off. When it decides to break down, I'm really in trouble.
Posts: 872 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyrtolin
Member # 2638

- posted      Profile for Pyrtolin   Email Pyrtolin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pete at Home:
Naw, it was 8AM

I figured, but the time stamp, even accounting for timezones, and the easy mis-implication of "This just happened) left an irresistible target.
Posts: 11997 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page