Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Humorous misattributions (Page 4)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Humorous misattributions
Pete at Home
Member # 429

- posted      Profile for Pete at Home   Email Pete at Home   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah, well of breast is simply figurative for the heart, then it actually does seem likely that listening to calm music could affect one's heart rate in a calming way.

Too bad, though, because the idea of trying to soothe a feral tata was most colorful.

Posts: 44193 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grant
Member # 1925

- posted      Profile for Grant   Email Grant       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I seem to remember a guy from Tampa sueing a stripjoint when he was given whiplash, apparently by a set of savage breasts. I'm not sure what music was playing, but there is a 1% chance that it is was "Private Dancer".
Posts: 3264 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pete at Home
Member # 429

- posted      Profile for Pete at Home   Email Pete at Home   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That would tend to disprove Congreve's theorem, don't you think?
Posts: 44193 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AI Wessex
Member # 6653

- posted      Profile for AI Wessex   Email AI Wessex   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"...feral tata"

Isn't the Feral Tata a Vegas club on the outskirts of town, or at least shouldn't it be?

Posts: 8393 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pete at Home
Member # 429

quote:
Originally posted by AI Wessex:
"...feral tata"

Isn't the Feral Tata a Vegas club on the outskirts of town, or at least shouldn't it be?

Not sure; I don't get around much.

But I hope Hobsen feels he's received a satisfactory answer as to why the misquote of Congreve's saying is more popular than the original.

Grant
Member # 1925

- posted      Profile for Grant   Email Grant       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pete at Home:
That would tend to disprove Congreve's theorem, don't you think?

I dunno. I imagine that something slower, like a waltz or maybe "Wicked Game" by Chris Isaak, might have prevented a traumatic neck injury, and thus a lawsuit.
Posts: 3264 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pete at Home
Member # 429

Or you could just sing happy boob day to them.
Wayward Son
Member # 210

- posted      Profile for Wayward Son   Email Wayward Son   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow. This has turned into the breast thread we've had in a long time! [Smile]
Posts: 8681 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pete at Home
Member # 429

Better wrap things up before the mod comes and puts a lid on them.
Pete at Home
Member # 429

[ December 21, 2011, 01:59 PM: Message edited by: OrneryMod ]

Pete at Home
Member # 429

Why does this thread now start at "page 0" and where is the original root of the thread? I was looking for my list of misattributions and most of them are gone ... weird editing frenzy?
Pete at Home
Member # 429

That's hilarious. Page One only appeared once I posted the forgoing.
Pete at Home
Member # 429

quote:
Originally posted by hobsen:
Odd nobody seems to have noticed the one about music and the savage beast is not a quotation.
quote:
Two of Congreve's turns of phrase from The Mourning Bride (1697) have become famous, albeit frequently in misquotation:

"Music has charms to soothe a savage breast," which is the first line of the play, spoken by Almeria in Act I, Scene 1. (The word "breast" is often misquoted as "beast", and 'has' sometimes appears as 'hath'.)

All I can figure is that Congreve's quote has been distorted by some association with snake charming, which probably has to do with the snake responding to motion rather than to the noise of a flute. Otherwise animals probably hear sounds differently than humans, as there is no reason their ears should be equally sensitive to the same frequencies, so human music would seem to them distorted. Perhaps a melody will soothe a lion, but I would not count on it.
Somebody should have warned these guys that their experiment was based on a misquote of Congreve. I think they'd have an easier time trying to tame savage breasts.
Pete at Home
Member # 429

"He who laughs last, laughs longest"

-Bill Cosby

Pete at Home
Member # 429

'Put Your Money Where Your Mouth Is.'
-Marcus Crassus

Pete at Home
Member # 429

"Look before you leap"
-Evel Knievel

"With great power comes great responsibility"
-Carrot Top

"If at first you can't secede, try try again"
-State Motto of South Carolina

"Don't bite off more than you can chew"
-Mike Tyson

"An apple a day keeps the doctor away"
-Dr. Kevorkian

"There's always more fish in the sea"
-British Petroleum corporate motto

[ February 21, 2015, 02:09 AM: Message edited by: Pete at Home ]

Pete at Home
Member # 429

"My kingdom for a horse!"
`last coherent words of Catherine the Great

Pete at Home
Member # 429

"Some men are born great, some men achieve greatness, and some men have greatness thrust upon them."
-George Zimmerman

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page