Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » how many Orno-leftoids still think that Ann Coulter is serious?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: how many Orno-leftoids still think that Ann Coulter is serious?
Pete at Home
Member # 429

- posted      Profile for Pete at Home   Email Pete at Home   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://dailycaller.com/2010/08/06/ann-coulter-to-headline-party-for-gay-conservatives/

quote:
GOProud, a Washington-based group that represents gay conservatives, announced Friday that feisty right-wing pundit Ann Coulter would keynote the organization’s upcoming “Homocon” fundraiser party.

“I’m so tickled that she agreed to do it,” Jimmy LaSalvia, executive director of GOProud told The Daily Caller. “Think about it: She’s hilarious, she’s provocative and, honestly, our folks just love her.”

LaSalvia said Coulter was the only person the group asked to headline the party, and she immediately agreed.

“Of course I’ll do it,” Coulter wrote to GOProud when they asked her to join the event. “I’m the right-wing Judy Garland!”

GOProud used that quip to advertise the event, adding, “our gays are more macho than their straights!” which Coulter wrote in a 2005 article comparing liberals and conservatives.

Coulter took criticism from gay rights advocates in 2007, when she used an anti-gay slur in reference to then-presidential candidate John Edwards. When asked about Coulter’s past comments, LaSalvia said that he would not give in to political correctness.

“This party is about fun. It’s not about placating to the PC crowd,” he said. “Listen, the no-fun police do enough in this world and we want to have a fun party.”

http://edition.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/03/04/coulter.edwards/index.html

" target="_blank">http://www.goproud.org/homocon-2010/[/QUOTE]

Posts: 44193 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Viking_Longship
Member # 3358

- posted      Profile for Viking_Longship   Email Viking_Longship       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
About this or in general?

I think she's serious about being a speaker at the event.

I think she's serious about being a conservative.

Past that, I have no idea.

Posts: 5765 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pete at Home
Member # 429

- posted      Profile for Pete at Home   Email Pete at Home   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think she's serious about making money, so long as she doesn't have to keep a straight face to do it.

Look, I'm not arguing that one can't be gay and conservative. I'm simply tripping over the phrase “our gays are more macho than their straights!” In fact, I'm tripping over any positive use of the word "macho" in the English language .... I thought it was almost a grammatical necessity that the word "macho" be immediately followed up by the word "prick."

As in, I knew a guy in law school that got a sex-change operation in his third year. She was still a macho prick afterwards.

Posts: 44193 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DonaldD
Member # 1052

- posted      Profile for DonaldD   Email DonaldD   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe 'macho' is only a priori negative when used in reference to lawyers. [Wink] Seriously, I don't have the same negative connotation with the word. Mind you, I've only heard the word used ironically for the past, oh, 30 years...
Posts: 10751 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pete at Home
Member # 429

quote:
Originally posted by DonaldD:
Maybe 'macho' is only a priori negative when used in reference to lawyers. [Wink] Seriously, I don't have the same negative connotation with the word. Mind you, I've only heard the word used ironically for the past, oh, 30 years...

Hence my question of whether anyone still takes her seriously, other than for her uncanny capacity to get people's attention.
Al Wessex
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IMO, she is completely serious about her views, but reminds me of a drunk punk leaning out the window of a car filled with guys with bats racing through an inner city laughing and screaming "n*gg*r" at everyone she sees on the sidewalks. When she talks at GOP gatherings, they laugh *and* cheer both. It's good to be blond, slender, witty, obnoxious, rich and Republican. Just like Rush, if you substitute balding and fat.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

- posted      Profile for kenmeer livermaile   Email kenmeer livermaile       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've given very little thought to Ann's mental state except for the manufacture of jokes at her expense.

The opinions she espouses in public are vile, and obviously a great many people take them seriously.

The interface between those opinions and their audience? What I'd call crazy, fer shure. But that's entirely subjective. Some folks think that is the height of sanity.

Posts: 23297 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RickyB
Member # 1464

- posted      Profile for RickyB   Email RickyB   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pete, I think you conflate "doesn't mean what she says" with "will say anything she thinks will get a rise out of the other side".
Posts: 19145 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 99

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
In fact, I'm tripping over any positive use of the word "macho" in the English language .... I thought it was almost a grammatical necessity that the word "macho" be immediately followed up by the word "prick."
I don't think the word is universally used in that sense; certainly, here, "macho" is being used mainly to contrast with the unvoiced alternative, "effeminate."
Posts: 22935 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pete at Home
Member # 429

quote:
Originally posted by Al Wessex:
IMO, she is completely serious about her views, but reminds me of a drunk punk leaning out the window of a car filled with guys with bats racing through an inner city laughing and screaming "n*gg*r" at everyone she sees on the sidewalks.

Bah. When it's a white conservative, you conflate words with threats of iminent violence, whereas you wink at New Black Panthers carrying clubs in front of polling places. [Roll Eyes]

quote:
When she talks at GOP gatherings, they laugh *and* cheer both.
Well get used to it as the right increasingly learns to emulate leftist sociopathy.

[ August 15, 2010, 11:06 AM: Message edited by: Pete at Home ]

Pete at Home
Member # 429

quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
quote:
In fact, I'm tripping over any positive use of the word "macho" in the English language .... I thought it was almost a grammatical necessity that the word "macho" be immediately followed up by the word "prick."
I don't think the word is universally used in that sense; certainly, here, "macho" is being used mainly to contrast with the unvoiced alternative, "effeminate."
And you think it's bad for a man to be effeminate because ... what exactly? How does that fit in with the whole rainbow LGB//(t) coalition?

[ August 15, 2010, 11:08 AM: Message edited by: Pete at Home ]

Rallan
Member # 1936

- posted      Profile for Rallan   Email Rallan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pete at Home:
quote:
quote:
And you think it's bad for a man to be effeminate because ... what exactly? How does that fit in with the whole rainbow LGB//(t) coalition?
The GLBTIwhateverthenextdamnletteris coalition has room in its big gay heart to give friendly hugs to everyone, regardless of whether being macho is their thing or not.
Posts: 2570 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 99

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It isn't necessary for me to think that something is bad for me to understand that some people would intend it as an insult. When Ann Coulter jokingly talks about macho homosexuals (and compares them positively to the alternative), what she is saying is "even our homosexuals are more manly than their straight men," with the dual implications that a) manliness is a desirable trait and b) homosexuals are not generally considered manly.

I'm actually sort of surprised that I have to explain this.

[ August 15, 2010, 10:33 PM: Message edited by: TomDavidson ]

Posts: 22935 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pete at Home
Member # 429

quote:
Originally posted by Rallan:
The GLBTIwhateverthenextdamnletteris

Just remember Gay Lettuce Bacon and Tomato, sometimes hold the Tomato, depend on which cameras are rolling.
Pete at Home
Member # 429

quote:
It isn't necessary for me to think that something is bad for me to understand that some people would intend it as an insult. When Ann Coulter jokingly talks about macho homosexuals (and compares them positively to the alternative), what she is saying is "even our homosexuals are more manly than their straight men," with the dual implications that a) manliness is a desirable trait and b) homosexuals are not generally considered manly.

I'm actually sort of surprised that I have to explain this.

Well thank you, Tom. If I need any more insights into Ann Coulter, I'll look you up. [Razz]

[ August 15, 2010, 11:28 PM: Message edited by: Pete at Home ]

TomDavidson
Member # 99

I do need to note -- although, again, I'm kind of surprised -- you did start this thread asking people to tell you what they thought of Ann Coulter's remarks.
Pete at Home
Member # 429

Quite true, but in response to your somewhat patronizing last line, I suggested, tongue-in-cheek, that you were a Coulter fan.
Al Wessex
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While I was in San Francisco recently visiting friends I tracked down a coffee shop called Philz in the Castro district. This is the most famously gay neighborhood in the country and a cliche for every kind of weird gay self-expression. It lived up to its reputation and then some from mean looking over-muscled men with swastikas tattooed on their arms strutting the sidewalk like patrolling territory to fleshy pasty-white boy/men with painful looking piercings all over their exposed skin shrinking away from people's eyes. One very tough looking butch woman had a carefully placed rip in her t-shirt showing most of one breast. Macho doesn't do any of this justice and doesn't mean anything in that context.

This anti-no-fun event sounds weird enough that Ann Coulter could be the grand marshal, but I don't think it will serve her "base" if any pictures of her snuggling up to the attendees get out. They should move it to SF. [Wink]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lobo
Member # 89

- posted      Profile for Lobo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are Tom and Pete having a gay slap fight?
Posts: 1094 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page