Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Election day!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Election day!
Rallan
Member # 1936

- posted      Profile for Rallan   Email Rallan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep, today's the day that I perform my mandatory civic duty and participate in the farce of a federal election Australia's having.

And what a farce it is this year, with both parties running virtually identical campaigns where fiscal responsibility is the order of the day, big scary lies about illegal immigrants are the key to securing the unemployed redneck vote, and everyone has agreed to not ask the other side any hard questions about gay rights, civil liberties, or the environment.

Which means that in the House of Reps I'll be holding my nose and voting Labor (they're doing almost everything wrong, but at least they can be relied on not to gut the rights of the working public in the name "employer rights"). Upstairs I'll be following the long and proud tradition of the senate protest vote, giving my preferences to Green Party and Sex Party candidates ahead of the two major parties.

Posts: 2570 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rallan
Member # 1936

- posted      Profile for Rallan   Email Rallan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Right, that was not a result I expected. Neither Labor nor Liberal hold enough seats in the House of Representatives to form government, so whoever can woo the unaligned representatives (a Green and 4 independents) will form a minority government. Until that's worked out, I guess nobody's in charge.

And forming a minority government will just be the start of the fun. Neither of the two major parties has a senate majority either, with the balance of power in the senate being held by the Green Party. Which means that whoever ends up forming government, they'll have to go through the Greens every time they want to get something done.

Posts: 2570 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hannibal
Member # 1339

- posted      Profile for Hannibal   Email Hannibal   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thats how things are done in Israel in the past 20 years, welcome to fun and good luck
Posts: 3495 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rallan
Member # 1936

It's pretty uncommon down here though. This will only be the second time in Australian history that we've had a minority government, so whoever ends up in opposition is going to spend the next three years constantly claiming that the government has no real legitimacy.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page