Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » I would call this a George Bush Week

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I would call this a George Bush Week
Baldar
Member # 669

- posted      Profile for Baldar   Email Baldar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1-Helped shift the senate and the house further away from democratic control. This was a big gamble, had he failed his political stock would have been in the toilet, but sometimes its bet big and win big.

2-The UN resolution was passed unanimously (including Syria) for the weapons inspectors. To be noted, I personally did not think Colin Powell could get it done, but he did, so kudos for him too.

3-Carnahan loses to Talent in Missouri, since both people were running to end the session, it means that the senate majority falls to the republicans before the end of the lame duck congress. There is a good chance that the Homeland security bill will pass before the lame duck session ends.

4-Federal law makers failed to approve 12 of the 13 spending bills that came before them prior to the election. Bush had warned them to show fiscal discipline. I guess a talking to never hurt.

5-Little Bro still in the drivers seat even though Terry MacCauliffe swore that he would do everything possible as head of the DNC to throw Jeb Bush out. Jeb not only stayed in but garnered 60% of the hispanic vote.

Yep, a pretty good week overall, but alot of work. Question is can he keep it up and be known as the most astute political minds (Clinton was never able to change much beyond his immediate political needs - read "himself") in the past few decades?

Posts: 3834 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WmLambert
Member # 604

- posted      Profile for WmLambert   Email WmLambert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When the GOP makes big wins like this, the markets usually begin an optimistic phase that may make the economy look better. Many Supply-siders are fearful of this particular war against Iraq being a net negative to our economy and not a plus like so many would have us believe. I'm hopeful that there will be no war. ...That there will be no April Glaspie this time to trigger it. I'm also hopeful that the new stage in SDI will continue to be successful, with the requisite technology emboldening our economy. The Homeland security bill may actually have many unintended consequences. It's bound to... so let's hope they will all be good consequences.
Posts: 1372 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page