Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Religious rites with adoption?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Religious rites with adoption?
Ben
Member # 1153

- posted      Profile for Ben   Email Ben   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thinking about some ideas related to family lately + it occurred to me that I don't know much at all about how different religions deal with rites for adopting family. I know that Mormons have sealings, but what about others? What are Hindu or Jewish traditions, for example? I've also heard a little about American Indian traditions of blood brothers but don't know enough to identify it or parts as cultural, religious or myth. Any of you guys care to share?
Posts: 523 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 99

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Among atheists, an adopted child is not considered truly one of your blood until you have eaten the heart of his or her birth mother.
Posts: 22935 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben
Member # 1153

- posted      Profile for Ben   Email Ben   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TD, Hahah! Though that seems similar to something I read about eating the placenta.
Posts: 523 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
starLisa
Member # 2543

- posted      Profile for starLisa   Email starLisa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A non-Jewish child adopted by Jewish parents can undergo a conversion. But at the age of 12 for a girl 13 for a boy, the child gets to choose whether to accept it or not. If they accept it, the conversion was good from the get-go.
Posts: 2066 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TommySama
Member # 2780

- posted      Profile for TommySama   Email TommySama       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
Among atheists, an adopted child is not considered truly one of your blood until you have eaten the heart of his or her birth mother.

You forget - if the kid is a Jew you have to sew skin from its face onto its penis to undo the damage and leave him forever marked.
Posts: 6396 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carlotta
Member # 3117

- posted      Profile for Carlotta   Email Carlotta   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
With Catholics there's just the baptism, or if the child was already baptized in another Christian denomination, then you just kind of pick up from there. If the child was older and didn't want to be baptized or Catholic though it's not required.

I was adopted by my dad and although there was no specific religious ritual, we marked "adoption day" on the family birthday calendar and celebrated it every year with a special dinner.

Posts: 1318 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rallan
Member # 1936

- posted      Profile for Rallan   Email Rallan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TommySama:
quote:

You forget - if the kid is a Jew you have to sew skin from its face onto its penis to undo the damage and leave him forever marked.
Hey chill out man, us atheists aren't discriminatory. We do that to all the circumcised orphans we adopt.
Posts: 2570 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TommySama
Member # 2780

- posted      Profile for TommySama   Email TommySama       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rallan:
quote:
Originally posted by TommySama:
quote:

Hey chill out man, us atheists aren't discriminatory. We do that to all the circumcised orphans we adopt.
Nonsense. Such practices are barbaric holdovers from a more primitive and ignorant time of humanity. In my brand of atheism, we only sometimes mutilate our children (spiritually, intellectually, or physically).

[ September 21, 2010, 10:13 AM: Message edited by: TommySama ]

Posts: 6396 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page