Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Basic Religion Test Stumps Many Americans (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Basic Religion Test Stumps Many Americans
philnotfil
Member # 1881

- posted      Profile for philnotfil     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
nytimes.com

quote:
Americans are by all measures a deeply religious people, but they are also deeply ignorant about religion.

Researchers from the independent Pew Forum on Religion and Public Life phoned more than 3,400 Americans and asked them 32 questions about the Bible, Christianity and other world religions, famous religious figures and the constitutional principles governing religion in public life.

On average, people who took the survey answered half the questions incorrectly, and many flubbed even questions about their own faith.

quote:
Those who scored the highest were atheists and agnostics, as well as two religious minorities: Jews and Mormons. The results were the same even after the researchers controlled for factors like age and racial differences.

“Even after all these other factors, including education, are taken into account, atheists and agnostics, Jews and Mormons still outperform all the other religious groups in our survey,” said Greg Smith, a senior researcher at Pew.

Some interesting tidbits:
quote:
On questions about the Bible and Christianity, the groups that answered the most right were Mormons and white evangelical Protestants.

On questions about world religions, like Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism and Judaism, the groups that did the best were atheists, agnostics and Jews.

One finding that may grab the attention of policy makers is that most Americans wrongly believe that anything having to do with religion is prohibited in public schools.

Posts: 3719 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 99

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That last bit quoted is completely unsurprising to me.
Posts: 22935 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Adam Masterman
Member # 1142

- posted      Profile for Adam Masterman   Email Adam Masterman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jews did well on questions about Judaism? Go figure. [Big Grin]

I think these results are pretty predictable. Americans tend to be kind of provincial, and we tend to avoid religion in school because of the unclear nature of the separation of Church and State. I would be astonished if the average American knew anything about Hinduism. And since both atheism and agnosticism are egalitarian regarding different religions, it follows that they would tend to have more knowledge about non-Christian faiths, on average.

Posts: 4823 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Viking_Longship
Member # 3358

- posted      Profile for Viking_Longship   Email Viking_Longship       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Most Americans are fuzzy on Christianity to be honest.
Posts: 5765 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Adam Masterman
Member # 1142

- posted      Profile for Adam Masterman   Email Adam Masterman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Viking_Longship:
Most Americans are fuzzy on Christianity to be honest.

I was a little puzzled that a majority of Catholics got the transubstantiation question wrong. Although. I think I picked it up from Dan Brown novels, so maybe thats why. [Big Grin]
Posts: 4823 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LetterRip
Member # 310

- posted      Profile for LetterRip   Email LetterRip   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is the actual quiz,

http://features.pewforum.org/quiz/us-religious-knowledge/index.php?

I got 13 correct and the 13 were extremely easy ones, the two I got wrong, the first one I clicked the wrong button (Jewish Sabbath day), the second (last question) I had no clue.

Posts: 8287 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TommySama
Member # 2780

- posted      Profile for TommySama   Email TommySama       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got 14. I was not sure what the First Great Awakening was, especially because I thought John Edwards was the guy from that psychic show.
Posts: 6396 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 99

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got all 15. It's worth noting that the summary of the quiz fails to note that the two highest-scoring groups are Jews and atheists:

http://features.pewforum.org/quiz/us-religious-knowledge/index.php?q=16#religous-groups

Posts: 22935 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattP
Member # 2763

- posted      Profile for MattP   Email MattP   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Posts: 3481 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JWatts
Member # 6523

- posted      Profile for JWatts   Email JWatts   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took that quiz and it didn't seem to hard. Though I probably would have only had a 50% chance on getting the last question right before I had read TommySama's post.

However the lead mentions a poll of 32 questions, not the 15 in the link above, so I'm assuming there is another poll somewhere.

And since everybody seems to be posting that Atheists and the Jewish got the two best results, I feel obligated to post that Black Protestants and Hispanic Catholics got the worst.

Hmmm, perhaps it's directly correlated with the level of education.

Posts: 4700 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Viking_Longship
Member # 3358

- posted      Profile for Viking_Longship   Email Viking_Longship       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
15 of 15. Most of them seem like softball questions but the Edwards one really was a bit obscure.
Posts: 5765 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 99

The Edwards one is a gimme for people who had AP American Literature, but not a particularly helpful "religion" question.
scifibum
Member # 945

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't know #15. The rest were pretty easy, although only a month or two ago I'd have missed the Jewish Sabbath one, I think.
Posts: 6847 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Adam Masterman
Member # 1142

I got 15, but I guessed on the last one, figured it probably wasn't Billy Graham.

Since it was boring and easy, I looked for a better one. This one isn't much harder, but the first question is incorrect (Buddhists *do* believe in hell, not sure where they get their information).

Chael
Member # 2436

- posted      Profile for Chael   Email Chael   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yup, 14 of 15--aside from the last question, they all seemed pretty basic.

The First Great /what/? [Smile]

Posts: 872 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rallan
Member # 1936

- posted      Profile for Rallan   Email Rallan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah I was stumped on the First Great Awakening one too. Then again, the christian population of my country was precisely zero when the First Great Awakening happened, so it's not surprising [Smile]
Posts: 2570 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
edgmatt
Member # 6449

- posted      Profile for edgmatt   Email edgmatt       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
11 right, I'm Catholic.
Posts: 1439 | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pete at Home
Member # 429

- posted      Profile for Pete at Home   Email Pete at Home   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
15/15, piece of cake, but then I'm a mormon lawyer who grew up in Catholic countries, used to teach English Lit, and has worked mostly with Jewish lawyers since getting out of Law school. [Big Grin]

[ September 28, 2010, 11:08 PM: Message edited by: Pete at Home ]

Posts: 44193 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pete at Home
Member # 429

- posted      Profile for Pete at Home   Email Pete at Home   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm curious how Atheists performed compared to other groups as to the question of whether a teacher was allowed to quote the bible as an example of literature. I knew some atheist law students who couldn't wrap their bean around that concept.
Posts: 44193 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LoverOfJoy
Member # 157

- posted      Profile for LoverOfJoy   Email LoverOfJoy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd like to see the full 32 questions but the site is down. It seems it would be more accurate if it left an option, "Don't know". Perhaps the telephone version did have that.
Posts: 3639 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LetterRip
Member # 310

- posted      Profile for LetterRip   Email LetterRip   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://pewforum.org/uploadedFiles/Topics/Belief_and_Practices/religious-knowledge-questionnaire.pdf
Posts: 8287 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LoverOfJoy
Member # 157

- posted      Profile for LoverOfJoy   Email LoverOfJoy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I tried that and keep getting "Oops! Google Chrome could not connect to pewforum.org"

Maybe it's just me. *shrug*

Posts: 3639 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TommySama
Member # 2780

- posted      Profile for TommySama   Email TommySama       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Yeah, I tried that and keep getting "Oops! Google Chrome could not connect to pewforum.org"
Google Chrome is awful. I can't get any internetting done on it because it makes me click refresh 2 or 3 times before loading easy pages.
Posts: 6396 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LetterRip
Member # 310

Hmm didn't try and download it - it is DoSed as well.

Guess we shall have to wait a day or so till the public loses interest [Smile]

Funean
Member # 2345

- posted      Profile for Funean   Email Funean   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
15 of 15. I thought it was astoundingly easy, and then that last question...I happened to know the answer because of something I'd read recently, but I think it's about ten thousand times more obscure than "what religion was Mother Theresa." I find it a bit scary that so many religious Americans can't answer basic questions about their own faiths correctly.
Posts: 5277 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rallan
Member # 1936

- posted      Profile for Rallan   Email Rallan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pete at Home:
I'm curious how Atheists performed compared to other groups as to the question of whether a teacher was allowed to quote the bible as an example of literature. I knew some atheist law students who couldn't wrap their bean around that concept.

Well I got it, but then I'm not part of the official survey group. I figure an overwhelming majority of participants (atheist or otherwise) would've got it wrong though, thanks to the sheer amount of misinformation about religious freedom in America's schools.
Posts: 2570 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 945

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rallan:
quote:
Originally posted by Pete at Home:

Well I got it, but then I'm not part of the official survey group. I figure an overwhelming majority of participants (atheist or otherwise) would've got it wrong though, thanks to the sheer amount of misinformation about religious freedom in America's schools.
I wonder how many people answered no thinking it was just unconscionable to demote the bible to "literature". [Big Grin]
Posts: 6847 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aris Katsaris
Member # 888

- posted      Profile for Aris Katsaris   Email Aris Katsaris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
14/15 only missing the one about the first great awakening.
Posts: 3318 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayward Son
Member # 210

- posted      Profile for Wayward Son   Email Wayward Son   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
15/15, but had to guess on the First Great Awakening (like just about everyone else).

I also wasn't sure if Catholics had changed their belief from an actual transmutation of the Eucharist to a symbolic one. (I've heard that the Vatican II did a lot of funky things. [Smile] ) Apparently not.

Posts: 8681 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rallan
Member # 1936

quote:
Originally posted by Funean:
15 of 15. I thought it was astoundingly easy, and then that last question...I happened to know the answer because of something I'd read recently, but I think it's about ten thousand times more obscure than "what religion was Mother Theresa." I find it a bit scary that so many religious Americans can't answer basic questions about their own faiths correctly.

Yeah that last one threw me too. And a trick to Wikipedia taught me that I know very little about the historical roots of revivals and the evangelist movement.
Carlotta
Member # 3117

- posted      Profile for Carlotta   Email Carlotta   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got 15 out of 15. I'm Catholic, but also just interested in religions in general so that probably improved my score. And I only got the great Awakening one because I KNEW it wasn't Billy Graham, so I guessed between the other two answers and got it right.

I'd be really interested to see a similar quiz but one where the questions were based on the religion of the person taking it - see what religion's followers can answer the most correct questions about their own religion's beliefs.

Posts: 1318 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LetterRip
Member # 310

YOu can download the full test now.

I've extracted the additional relevant questions but excluding the answer selection in the majority of cases. Only the religious trivia questions, and the science/history/politics literacy questions. These are a bit more challenging than previous.

Do you happen to know which of these is the king of gods in ancient Greek mythology?
Name of the holy book of Islam? (Free response)
An agnostic believes which of the following about God?
An atheist believes which of the following about God?
First book of the bible? (free response)
First four books of the new testament (free response)
Where was jesus born according to the Bible?
When approximately was the Mormon religion founded?
The Book of Mormon tells the story of Jesus Christ appearing to people in what area of the world?
Which of these religious groups traditionally teaches that salvation comes through faith alone?
Which of the following is most closely associated with willingness to sacrifice his son for God?
What religion was the Dalai Lama?
What Religion was Maimonides?
Which of the following statements best describes what the US Constitution says about religion?
a) Christianity should be given special emphasis by the government
b) The government shall neither establish a religion nor interfere with the practice of religion
c) The constitution does not say anything one way or the other about religion
According to rulings by the US Supreme Court, is a public school teacher permitted to offer a class comparing the world's religions?
Most people in India consider themselves of the religion?
Most people in Indonesia consider themselves of the religion?

Also some general science and history/political knowledge questions

(Lasers pulses of sound?)
(Founder of evolution?)
(Supreme Court Trial regarding teaching of evolution in school?)
(Frequency of discussion of science, religion, politics)
(Will antibiotics kill viruses)
(Government programs passed by FDR)
(Who is the current VP?)
(Susan B anthony led what movement)
(Who wrote moby dick)

[ September 29, 2010, 01:14 PM: Message edited by: LetterRip ]

Wayward Son
Member # 210

- posted      Profile for Wayward Son   Email Wayward Son   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They all look fairly easy, except who the heck was Maimonides? [Confused]
Posts: 8681 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JoshuaD
Member # 1420

- posted      Profile for JoshuaD   Email JoshuaD   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
14/15. Somehow I got the Ramadan one wrong. [Frown]
Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DonaldD
Member # 1052

- posted      Profile for DonaldD   Email DonaldD   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"What religion was the Dalai Lama?"

When did he stop being reincarnated?

Posts: 10751 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 99

Huh. That test is surprisingly Mormon-centric.

quote:
who the heck was Maimonides?
Ask any Jew. [Smile]
LetterRip
Member # 310

The 'was' might be a typing error on my part regarding the Dalai Lama. I sometimes parpaphrased and reworded for purposes of brevity and clarity and to save myself redundant typing.
Jordan
Member # 2159

- posted      Profile for Jordan   Email Jordan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Tom:
quote:
who the heck was Maimonides?
Ask any Jew. [Smile]
Shouldn't that be, "ask 57% of Jews?" [Wink]
Posts: 2147 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
starLisa
Member # 2543

- posted      Profile for starLisa   Email starLisa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wayward Son:
They all look fairly easy, except who the heck was Maimonides? [Confused]

You know, Rambam. Mishnah Torah? Moreh Nevuchim?
Posts: 2066 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Adam Masterman
Member # 1142

quote:
When approximately was the Mormon religion founded?
Wouldn't a Mormon answer " around A.D. 26"?
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page