Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Who would you elect for...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Who would you elect for...
LetterRip
Member # 310

- posted      Profile for LetterRip   Email LetterRip   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What Ornerians (past and present) would you elect as Senators and Congressman - not based on agreement on idealogy per se, but that you think they could and would likely end up making the best decisions, would listen to, and hear those they disagree with, and other qualities conducive to such an office?

[ October 03, 2010, 07:32 AM: Message edited by: LetterRip ]

Posts: 8287 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben
Member # 1153

- posted      Profile for Ben   Email Ben   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Carlotta + Funean seem to be a couple good choices.

Maybe some of the other less active posters who are lurking, though I can't say who's just lurking or not looking at all. I say lurkers because generally they're listening and don't get all wound up or too argumentative in some of the debates. Of course that'd work against candidates in running for office because you don't vote for someone you don't know is there as an option.

Posts: 523 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben
Member # 1153

- posted      Profile for Ben   Email Ben   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kuato, munga, redskull, scifi, a few others. I meant to include this above as I was looking around to refresh my memory + posted early. I need to include clowns of sorts too, since our Congress seems to always have some. Kenmeer in his various phases would be a great addition and seems a lot better than most of 'regular' Congress to boot. Dang, I don't see them around much, miss them!
Posts: 523 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Colin JM0397
Member # 916

- posted      Profile for Colin JM0397   Email Colin JM0397   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LR, I could live w/ you as a rep.
Ditto for Redskull.

[ October 03, 2010, 12:34 PM: Message edited by: Colin JM0397 ]

Posts: 4738 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pete at Home
Member # 429

- posted      Profile for Pete at Home   Email Pete at Home   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Definitely TedK [Wink]
Posts: 44193 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LetterRip
Member # 310

- posted      Profile for LetterRip   Email LetterRip   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ben - Kuato and munga are the same person [Smile]

I'd never thought of kenmeer - interesting choice - I too miss him. Hmmm I hope he is ok.

Colin,

I a flattered sir [Smile]

I'll put my list of picks after this has gone for awhile, don't want to prejudice the selections.

Pere - heheh, no nominating yourself. Seriously though I'd be interested in 'serious' picks.

[ October 03, 2010, 01:33 PM: Message edited by: LetterRip ]

Posts: 8287 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
threads
Member # 5091

- posted      Profile for threads   Email threads   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Off the top of my head and in no particular order: Paladine, Pete, Funean, Scifibum, JoshuaD

Probably plenty of others as well. I tend to visit here sporadically so I haven't read enough posts to make judgments about most everyone. I suspect that if I could do one-for-one swaps between a person here and a person in congress I would swap in the majority of people here.

Posts: 778 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LoverOfJoy
Member # 157

- posted      Profile for LoverOfJoy   Email LoverOfJoy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This was kind of fun. I could easily add to or change this in a number of ways but it's a start:

Senate Committee on Agriculture, Nutrition, and Forestry - Daruma, OpsanusTau

Senate Committee on Appropriations - Funean, The Drake

Senate Committee on Armed Services - TomDavidson, Colin

Senate Committee on Banking, Housing, and Urban Affairs - Munga, Animist

Senate Committee on the Budget - Everard, Paladin

Senate Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation - LetterRip, vulture

Senate Committee on Energy and Natural Resources - Munga, LetterRip

Senate Committee on Environment and Public Works - LetterRip, OpsanusTau

Senate Committee on Finance - GregDavidson, The Drake

Senate Committee on Foreign Relations - Athelstan, Animist

Senate Committee on Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions - Everard, Athelstan

Senate Committee on Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs - Adam Masterman, vulture

Senate Committee on Indian Affairs - kenmeer, DonaldD

Senate Committee on the Judiciary - Pete, jasonr

Senate Committee on Rules and Administration - Funean, hobsen

Senate Committee on Small Business and Entrepreneurship - G2, GregDavidson

Senate Committee on Veterans' Affairs - G2, Adam Masterman

Senate Select Committee on Ethics - Pete, TomDavidson

Senate Select Committee on Intelligence - Colin, DonaldD

Senate Special Committee on Aging - hobsen, Paladin

United States Senate Caucus on International Narcotics Control - kenmeer, Daruma

Any additions and changes you'd make? Feel free to use my post as a template for the committees. Try to keep individuals assigned to 2 committees max.

Posts: 3639 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben
Member # 1153

I know kuato + munga are the same person, just forgot to remove one name as I wasn't sure which she was using currently, I think munga. Thanks for pointing it out tho. Count one of the names as a clown persona w/ kenmeer.
LoverOfJoy
Member # 157

- posted      Profile for LoverOfJoy   Email LoverOfJoy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's just munga's way to stuff the ballot box and giver herself more votes. [Smile] j/k
Posts: 3639 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carlotta
Member # 3117

- posted      Profile for Carlotta   Email Carlotta   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Funean and Paladine. I haven't been around enough to reaquaint myself with everyone else yet.

I'm flattered that Ben would vote for me! [Smile]

Posts: 1318 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Viking_Longship
Member # 3358

- posted      Profile for Viking_Longship   Email Viking_Longship       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually I'm getting the chance to vote for Daruma here in Kentucky, but he's going by the name "Rand Paul" (actually Paul has less courage in his convictions in my observation.)
Posts: 5765 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 99

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
With only a tiny handful of exceptions, were anyone on this site on a ballot, I'd vote for 'em. I don't agree with all of you, and in some cases don't even respect the reasoning some of you use to reach your conclusions, but I deeply respect the fact that a) you apply reasoning; and b) your conclusions, while sometimes a bit facile, never appear to be cynically self-serving.
Posts: 22935 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LetterRip
Member # 310

I tend to agree TomD,

some specific 'old timers' I'd love to see run for office would be WarsawPact, and FIJC, very passionate and thoughtful conservatives.

A number of great choices from above, I'd add msquared for sure. Hmm where did I put my list of others.

JoshuaD
Member # 1420

- posted      Profile for JoshuaD   Email JoshuaD   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've tried to convince WarsawPact to come back here a few times, but he says he can't afford the time anymore with his job. I miss having him around.

Msquared gets my vote too. He'd probably make a terrible campaigner/politican, but he would make an excellent congressman or senator.

Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Viking_Longship
Member # 3358

- posted      Profile for Viking_Longship   Email Viking_Longship       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been thinking about this today and I have two responses.

Firstly as far as my priotities are concerned the only person on here I know shares them is Daruma. Right now my number one priority is keeping us out of yet more entangling alliances and out of Iran, both of which have the potential to put us in a situation where all out social issues would become moot. High on my list is concerns about our fiat currency holding its value.

Secondly though this scenario is not realitic, usually you don't get to just choose who you want, you're stuck with who runs in the primaries and who got the party nominations in the general election.

Posts: 5765 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page