Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Fox News will win in 2012

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Fox News will win in 2012
philnotfil
Member # 1881

- posted      Profile for philnotfil     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All but one of the Republican contenders not currently in office is on the payroll at Fox.

politico.com

quote:
With Sarah Palin, Newt Gingrich, Rick Santorum and Mike Huckabee all making moves indicating they may run for president, their common employer is facing a question that hasn’t been asked before: How does a news organization cover White House hopefuls when so many are on the payroll?

The answer is a complicated one for Fox News.

As Fox’s popularity grows among conservatives, the presence of four potentially serious Republican candidates as paid contributors is beginning to frustrate competitors of the network, figures within its own news division and rivals of what some GOP insiders have begun calling “the Fox candidates.”

With the exception of Mitt Romney, Fox now has deals with every major potential Republican presidential candidate not currently in elected office.

The matter is of no small consequence, since it’s uncertain how other news organizations can cover the early stages of the presidential race when some of the main GOP contenders are contractually forbidden to appear on any TV network besides Fox.

Posts: 3719 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
edgmatt
Member # 6449

- posted      Profile for edgmatt   Email edgmatt       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Won't they just quit Fox if they decide to run?
Posts: 1439 | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayward Son
Member # 210

- posted      Profile for Wayward Son   Email Wayward Son   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why?? If they stay with Fox, they get free air time.

And they can claim liberal bias on all other networks, since they wouldn't give them nearly as much coverage as Fox. [Big Grin]

Posts: 8681 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
edgmatt
Member # 6449

- posted      Profile for edgmatt   Email edgmatt       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lol. Right, but there would be the controversy of all of that, which would certainly hurt them in the campaign. I get the joke and all, but I'd bet money whoever runs would quit.
Posts: 1439 | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LoverOfJoy
Member # 157

- posted      Profile for LoverOfJoy   Email LoverOfJoy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
With the exception of Mitt Romney, Fox now has deals with every major potential Republican presidential candidate not currently in elected office.
I may literally cry if Sarah Palin wins the primaries.

Fortunately, I highly doubt that any of the Fox candidates will become the Republican candidate although they may become spoilers for some of the other candidates.

I think there's going to be a lot of disappointed republicans and democrats with their options in 2012.

Posts: 3639 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cb
Member # 6179

- posted      Profile for cb   Email cb       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What this proves is that true conservative commentators have no options available to them BUT FOX. I search the networks and PBS hoping somewhere, sometime I will see actual conservatives being brought in to comment on the Conservative Tidal Wave that has hit this country and yet seldom, if ever do I actually find such a scenario. Only on FOX do we get the even a smidgen of properly presented conservatism. If the liberal media didn't own, and therefore exclude any positive reporting of conservatism from most media sources, this kind of dichotomy wouldn't be an issue.

[ October 08, 2010, 12:57 PM: Message edited by: cb ]

Posts: 347 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 99

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
What this proves is that true conservative commentators have no options available to them BUT FOX.
Why does this prove that? More importantly, why do you consider "candidate" interchangeable with "commentator?"
Posts: 22935 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hobsen
Member # 2923

- posted      Profile for hobsen   Email hobsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A conservative book I read recently both complained about liberal domination of the media and celebrated the "juggernaut" of FOX News. A program on FOX later addressed this by saying polls showed that about half of TV viewers still get their news from ABC or CBS or NBC. The other half get their news from the cable channels, with FOX getting about half the viewers and the rest divided between CNN and MSN. So if someone wants only to hear a conservative slant on events, and gets news solely from TV, FOX News is effectively the only option.

But watching such channels over the last few months, I have become convinced TV news has in fact been dumbed down. The reason is probably that fifty years ago a lot of the population sat down every night to watch the news on CBS, which for that reason could run short commercials and send out a lot of reporters to get the facts. Now people serious about their news search the Internet, and TV news has become a constant background for workers in muffler shops and housewives ironing. In many public venues today you can find TVs tuned to a news source with no one watching them. Under those conditions quality of analysis makes little difference, and programs concentrate on headlines and striking images. And commercials get longer as viewers decrease.

Posts: 4387 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayward Son
Member # 210

- posted      Profile for Wayward Son   Email Wayward Son   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
More importantly, why do you consider "candidate" interchangeable with "commentator?"
Probably because at this point, the only conservative candidates that are viable are commentators.

There are no actual viable Conservative politicians. [Wink]

Posts: 8681 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rallan
Member # 1936

- posted      Profile for Rallan   Email Rallan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wait, when did Rick Santorum become viable? Last anyone saw of him was when he lost his Senate seat with the biggest losing margin of any incumbent in '06, which is why he was never talked about again as a possible contender for '08. He's also said a lot of hilariously uninformed and offensive things over the years, but without the "common touch" that lets people like Sarah Palin almost get away with it.
Posts: 2570 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page