Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Islamophobes turn anti-free enterprise (Page 1)

 - UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Islamophobes turn anti-free enterprise
RickyB
Member
Member # 1464

 - posted      Profile for RickyB   Email RickyB   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, now Pam Geller and the rest of the "oh no, Islam is taking over" crowd have their panties in a bunch because Campbell's soup wants to make a buck by providing a product that harms no-one and that people will pay for. Is there a level of stupidity these people won't sink to?
Posts: 19145 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carlotta
Member
Member # 3117

 - posted      Profile for Carlotta   Email Carlotta   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh geez. I personally have bought halal meat in the past because I knew it was fresh and slaughtered humanely.

Half the stuff I buy has the "kosher" label on it. Nobody's complaining about that. And if you get into health labels, there's a lot of stuff that advertises itself as vegetarian, vegan, gluten-free, soy-free, gmo-free, organic... you name it. People have food preferences and the food companies will cater to them. I see no problem with that.

ETA: But I don't think it's fair to call them anti-free-enterprise. They're not saying it should be illegal or taxed to make halal goods, only that they refuse to buy them and want other people to boycott them. That's still free enterprise.

[ October 07, 2010, 10:04 PM: Message edited by: Carlotta ]

Posts: 1318 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Viking_Longship
Member
Member # 3358

 - posted      Profile for Viking_Longship   Email Viking_Longship       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ricky

Somehow I think Campbells will survive.

Posts: 5765 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RickyB
Member
Member # 1464

 - posted      Profile for RickyB   Email RickyB   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course it will survive. LOL. I'm not worried about this childish flailing. Merely contemptuous of it.

Carlotta - What's the rationale, tho?

Posts: 19145 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cherrypoptart
Member
Member # 3942

 - posted      Profile for cherrypoptart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Isn't Campbell's basically saying that the soup they're giving the rest of us is "unclean" and the animals used to make it weren't slaughtered the right way?

Why should we eat food that's unclean?

When you boil it all down, Campbell's just called us all a bunch of dirty infidels for eating the soup the way they've been preparing it all this time.

So lo' these many years, we've been thinking we're eating the good stuff when apparently it hasn't been quite good enough. If you tried to feed it to a Muslim, they'd spit it out in disgust. Probably even fatwah you one. If it's not good enough for them, then it's not good enough for us. No wonder so many people like they've been je... jipped.

Posts: 7675 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cherrypoptart
Member
Member # 3942

 - posted      Profile for cherrypoptart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was just reading that Kosher is more strict than halal, so Musims can feel free to eat anything that is Kosher but Jewish people can't always eat something just because it's halal.

So the question is why didn't Campbell's just make these new soups Kosher so both a Jewish person and a Muslim person could sit down over the same nice, hot bowl of soup and be friendly?

They could brand it as Kosher and halal and for perhaps even stricter palates, maybe even go for one that is even Hindu and Buddhist friendly all wrapped into one steaming hot bowl of heavenly goodness.

And I guess all the gentiles can just go to hell.

[ October 08, 2010, 04:26 AM: Message edited by: cherrypoptart ]

Posts: 7675 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LetterRip
Member
Member # 310

 - posted      Profile for LetterRip   Email LetterRip   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
cherrypoptart,

quote:
Isn't Campbell's basically saying that the soup they're giving the rest of us is "unclean" and the animals used to make it weren't slaughtered the right way?

Why should we eat food that's unclean?

When you boil it all down, Campbell's just called us all a bunch of dirty infidels for eating the soup the way they've been preparing it all this time.

Kosher food sends the exact same 'message', so if you weren't insulted by corporations making food that is kosher, being offended by food that is 'halal' is rather inconsistent.

quote:

So lo' these many years, we've been thinking we're eating the good stuff when apparently it hasn't been quite good enough. If you tried to feed it to a Muslim, they'd spit it out in disgust. Probably even fatwah you one. If it's not good enough for them, then it's not good enough for us. No wonder so many people like they've been je... jipped.

I'd be surprised if a Muslims reaction to finding they have eaten unclean food, is much different from a Jewish person learning they have eaten unclean food, is much different from a Buddhist learning they have eaten unclean food, or for the non religious food preferences a Vegan finding they have eaten meat.

Honestly I find your reaction a bit abhorrent. It seems like getting offended because you want to be offended, and not for any legitimate offense given to you.

[ October 08, 2010, 04:18 AM: Message edited by: LetterRip ]

Posts: 8287 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cherrypoptart
Member
Member # 3942

 - posted      Profile for cherrypoptart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
> LetterRip

> Honestly I find your reaction a bit abhorrent. It seems like getting offended because you want to be offended, and not for any legitimate offense given to you.

Let me ask you a personal question and you don't have to answer if you don't want to.

Do you take your shoes off when you enter your abode?

The reason I'm asking is because I just want you to know that a lot of Japanese and other Asian-cultured people think that's a very unclean thing to do. Don't you feel insulted knowing that they think you're unclean?

Posts: 7675 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LetterRip
Member
Member # 310

 - posted      Profile for LetterRip   Email LetterRip   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
cherrypoptart,

quote:
I was just reading that Kosher is more strict than halal, so Musims can feel free to eat anything that is Kosher but Jewish people can't always eat something just because it's halal.
While they are similar they are not in fact the same apparently,

quote:

Islam prohibits all intoxicating alcohols, liquors, wines and drugs. kashrut regards their wines kosher. Hence food items and drinks showing the kosher symbol containing alcohol are not halal.

Gelatin is considered Kosher by many Jews regardless of its source of origin. If the gelatin is prepared from non-zabiha, Muslims consider it haram (prohibited). Hence foods items such as marshmallows, yogurt, etc., showing kosher symbols are not always halal.

Enzymes (irrespective of their sources even from non-kosher animals) in cheese making are considered mere secretion (pirsah b'almah) according to some kashrut organizations, hence all cheeses are considered kosher by many Jews. Muslims look for the source of the enzyme in cheese making. If it is coming from the swine, it is considered haram(forbidden). Hence cheeses showing kosher symbols may not be halal.

Jews do not pronounce the name of God on each animal while slaughtering. They feel that uttering the name of God, out of context, is wasteful. Muslims on the other hand pronounce the name of Allah on all animals while slaughtering.

[...]

There are different sects within Judaism and there are several hundred Jewish Kosher authorities in the US who certify Kosher based on extremely liberal to extremely conservative rules. Therefore it is difficult to come up with one uniform opinion regarding Kosher practices. A symbols "k" for kosher is not governed by any authority. Any manufacturer can use it at will. A website guiding Jews about Kosher states "it may take a great deal of detective work to ascertain the standard that a particular rabbi is using." For this reason many Muslims when buying anything kosher look for "u" in a circle which are more conservative Kosher symbol.

http://www.soundvision.com/info/halalhealthy/halal.kosher.asp
Posts: 8287 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LetterRip
Member
Member # 310

 - posted      Profile for LetterRip   Email LetterRip   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
cherrypoptart,

quote:
Do you take your shoes off when you enter your abode?
Usually, but not always.

quote:
The reason I'm asking is because I just want you to know that a lot of Japanese and other Asian-cultured people think that's a very unclean thing to do. Don't you feel insulted knowing that they think you're unclean?
Nope don't feel insulted at all. I think 'gosh what a ridiculous belief', or don't think of it at all.
Posts: 8287 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cherrypoptart
Member
Member # 3942

 - posted      Profile for cherrypoptart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, by now you should be able to tell I'm trying to have some fun with this. I might even end up trying the halal version myself since it's so much holier and stuff. Plus it'll make the coming forced conversion to Sharia law a little bit easier if I ease into it incrementally.

-----------------------------------------

Thinking about all this clean and unclean stuff made me realize something. There are a LOT of seriously OCD people in the world, in fact whole religions founded on and made up of OCD. I think OSC even had a book about it where they had some Asian people on a planet somewhere and they felt compelled to clean a floor a certain way, following the grains of wood by hand. It's kind of funny when you think about it, and also kind of sad.

If someone tried to make up all these rules today without a religion to back them up, they'd be certifiable.

Posts: 7675 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LetterRip
Member
Member # 310

 - posted      Profile for LetterRip   Email LetterRip   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I admit, sometimes find it difficult when you are kidding or not, and totally didn't pick up on the satire originally - doh!

Agreed that the religious laws of various cultures seem pretty OCD.

Posts: 8287 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Athelstan
Member
Member # 2566

 - posted      Profile for Athelstan   Email Athelstan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Recently in the UK we found out that most of the New Zealand lamb we import comes from halal slaughterhouses, a fact that New Zealand forgot to mention. The concern is whether the animal was stunned before having its throat cut; halal slaughterhouses seem to differ in this practice. At least this soup is labelled. My own Islamic peeve, and not wishing to lower the tone of the thread, would be fitting a toilet bowl with the use of a compass just in case an Islamic bottom chooses to use it. Jewish toilette etiquette seems to be complicated and involve a lot of muttering but, as far as I know, no special accoutrements. I suppose the answer is that everybody uses squat toilets but they do make it difficult to read a newspaper (Poor example of British Toilet Humour).
Posts: 715 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RickyB
Member
Member # 1464

 - posted      Profile for RickyB   Email RickyB   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Both Kosher and Halal slaughtering are less humane than the alternatives. However, both halal and kosher practices in general tend to result in meat products that are more hygienic and healthy than those followed by "gentile" slaughterhouses who view FDA regulations as a nuisance to be skirted where possible. Like the old Hebrew National slogan - "we answer to a higher authority".
Posts: 19145 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
starLisa
Member
Member # 2543

 - posted      Profile for starLisa   Email starLisa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RickyB:
So, now Pam Geller and the rest of the "oh no, Islam is taking over" crowd have their panties in a bunch because Campbell's soup wants to make a buck by providing a product that harms no-one and that people will pay for. Is there a level of stupidity these people won't sink to?

That is seriously stupid. I wish they'd make kosher soups too. This reminds me of the idiocy about "the kosher tax".
Posts: 2066 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
starLisa
Member
Member # 2543

 - posted      Profile for starLisa   Email starLisa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LetterRip:
cherrypoptart,

quote:
Isn't Campbell's basically saying that the soup they're giving the rest of us is "unclean" and the animals used to make it weren't slaughtered the right way?

Why should we eat food that's unclean?

When you boil it all down, Campbell's just called us all a bunch of dirty infidels for eating the soup the way they've been preparing it all this time.

Kosher food sends the exact same 'message', so if you weren't insulted by corporations making food that is kosher, being offended by food that is 'halal' is rather inconsistent.
QFT
Posts: 2066 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cherrypoptart
Member
Member # 3942

 - posted      Profile for cherrypoptart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
People don't worry so much about Jewish people and their kosherness or Hindus and not eating beef or Buddhist vegetarians because no one in any of those groups that I've ever heard of is in any way, shape, or form pressuring people to become Jewish, Hindu, or Buddhist.

In fact the way I hear it is if you want to convert to Judaism, you are refused three times. You really have to insist and be sure that's what you want.

Islam, however, is on a brutal worldwide conversion tour and is doing it in many places by force and terror. And their religion tells them not to stop or let up until every man, woman, and child on the face of the planet is a Muslim. So maybe that's the difference. Once you go Sharia, there's no going back. And you often don't have any say in the matter.

Posts: 7675 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carlotta
Member
Member # 3117

 - posted      Profile for Carlotta   Email Carlotta   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But eating halal food doesn't make me a Muslim any more than getting treatment at a Presbyterian hospital makes me Presbyterian.
Posts: 1318 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member
Member # 99

 - posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, Carlotta, you're missing the point: because some Muslims are violent, the entire religion is suspect. Because the entire religion is suspect, it is not only okay but should be encouraged to demonstrate prejudice against its adherents (as in, for example, asking whether selling products to Muslims that meet Islamic guidelines and thus "accomodate" Islam isn't a violation of American principles.)

Because actively opposing Islam is, by this logic, the only American thing to do.

Posts: 22935 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pete at Home
Member
Member # 429

 - posted      Profile for Pete at Home   Email Pete at Home   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As a mormon, I know what it's like to have folks lump me with groups which I dispise. We make every effort to separate outselves from those groups -- physically and semantically. My kids and I stop to chat at the house of one neighbor that's a wiccan stripper, and chatted about half an hour with another set of neighbors who are a male-male couple who have AIDS, but there's one house on my block that I scurry them past, and won't let them talk to ... a psuedomormon plig. As for semantic separation, just about every time that the term "mormon fundamentalist" comes up, I've pointed out that "mormon fundamentalist" is a contradiction in terms, and that so called "mormon fundamentalists" are in fact neither mormon nor fundamentalist.

OTOH there is room in the LDS church for folks that I don't like or agree with (like munga) and for folks that embarass the hell out of me, like Glen Beck. [Embarrassed] I don't tell these people that they aren't really LDS.

While the LDS church has actually gone out and had letters read in church warning about church members who resort to fearmongering and hysteria, I don't think you'll see Glen Beck exed, unless he takes the next step and starts associating his political claims with the mormon church, claiming to speak for the church. Every decade or so, some fringe mormon polititian does that, and promptly gets excommunicated.

Tom, I realize that moderate and even many conservative Muslim groups have denounced Osama and other fundy terrorists. But have they drawn a clear line of separation? I realize that unlike Mormons, Muslims have no mechanism for excommunication. But what about Takfir? Have a substantial number of Muslim clerics stated that Osama Bin Laden is an apostate?

Grouping people because of one bad apple is unfair, but the Ummah, like any other cultural and religious body, needs to draw boundaries. Since Bin Laden and his cronies are claiming to speak for Islam, to allow him to do so, without declaring him an apostate, does reasonably impugn the whole group.

Like the prophet they call Isa said, if your eye offend you pluck it out.

Posts: 44193 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pete at Home
Member
Member # 429

 - posted      Profile for Pete at Home   Email Pete at Home   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by cherrypoptart:
People don't worry so much about Jewish people and their kosherness or Hindus and not eating beef or Buddhist vegetarians because no one in any of those groups that I've ever heard of is in any way, shape, or form pressuring people to become Jewish, Hindu, or Buddhist.

In fact the way I hear it is if you want to convert to Judaism, you are refused three times. You really have to insist and be sure that's what you want.

Islam, however, is on a brutal worldwide conversion tour and is doing it in many places by force and terror. And their religion tells them not to stop or let up until every man, woman, and child on the face of the planet is a Muslim. So maybe that's the difference. Once you go Sharia, there's no going back. And you often don't have any say in the matter.

I don't think that Cambell's halal soup is a step towards enforced sharia, cherry. On the contrary, it's worth making minor accomodations to draw Muslims into mainstream society rather than ghettoizing them. Let them buy food from regular stores rather than at specialty markets where they only meet other Muslims. We change a little for them, they change a little for us. Win Win.
Posts: 44193 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cherrypoptart
Member
Member # 3942

 - posted      Profile for cherrypoptart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, this post is going to have to be issued with a disclaimer. I'm not saying these are necessarily my beliefs but this may be the mindset of some of these soup nazis. Yes, the reason for the disclaimer is that if I actually did say these things I could probably get a death fatwah, so I'm not saying them, just putting people into the mindset of the hateful bigots conducting this protest. Yes, it's kind of cowardly, I'll admit. And we all know what fear leads to.

"Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering." Yoda

Maybe that means the terrorists HAVE won.

> Pete at Home

> We change a little for them, they change a little for us. Win Win.


That's a good theory, and it sure would be nice if it worked out like that.

The way some of these protesters see it though is more like give 'em an inch and they'll take your head off.

> TomDavidson

> because some Muslims are violent, the entire religion is suspect.

Sort of. It's more like the religion is violent, so Muslims are suspect.

Here is a pro-Islamic website making the argument that Islam isn't a violent religion. It's laughable to see them try so hard and fail so big:

http://muslimmatters.org/2010/02/21/is-islam-a-violent-religion/

--------------------------------------------

When you boil it all down I'll agree that there is a lot of animosity being displayed here with this boycott.

Why can't I ever leave it at that? I don't know. But I'm going to tell it how a lot of people really see it. If a Satanic Death Cult or the Thuggee religion of stranglers had strict rules about food preparation, this would be like Campbell's Soup Company catering to them to pick up some business. Did I go too far this time? That's about what Salmon Rushdie said in his book, "The Satanic Verses", and he got a death fatwah put on him for it that is still active according to the highest Islamic scholars of Iran, and in fact cannot be rescinded because the guy who issued it is dead or some such technicality. So that pretty much says it all right there.

Yeah, sometimes ignorance causes hatred. But other times you can't really, REALLY loathe something with every fiber of your being until you get to know it only all too well from bitter personal experience. That happened for many Americans on 9-11.

This boycott is as much a protest against Islam as anything else. The question is then why would somebody be wrong to protest Islam? I'm sure we've been over that only all too well. Anyone with a lick-spit of common sense will fight anything and everything Islamic everywhere they can by any legal means available. Assuming they think in terms similar to Salmon Rushdie.

Another teeny, tiny, itsy-bitsy wee little problem with building trust between Muslims and the infidels is the minor almost insignficant and rarely mentioned detail in Islam known as Al-Taqiyya.

Basically, it means that it's good to lie to the infidel to advance the cause of Islam. That can't be a good starting point for building mutual trust...

It almost sounds like a joke: "Say fella... I think it's good to lie to you. Trust me." What?!

[ October 08, 2010, 01:57 PM: Message edited by: cherrypoptart ]

Posts: 7675 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayward Son
Member
Member # 210

 - posted      Profile for Wayward Son   Email Wayward Son   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Speaking of "comedy" (for those who might consider him humorous), Tom Tomorrow's take on Sharia Law and the Right's obsession with it. [Smile]
Posts: 8681 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cherrypoptart
Member
Member # 3942

 - posted      Profile for cherrypoptart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought that was pretty good. Just the right amount of head scratching to make you wonder.

Basically what I'm hearing is that a lot of the left doesn't mind Sharia and Islamic law because they see themselves in no danger of being personally subjected to it.

So they won't oppose something in principle if it doesn't affect them directly. Does that about sum it up?

Of course I know it doesn't, but that's the take-away in this instance.

Posts: 7675 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
starLisa
Member
Member # 2543

 - posted      Profile for starLisa   Email starLisa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wayward Son:
Speaking of "comedy" (for those who might consider him humorous), Tom Tomorrow's take on Sharia Law and the Right's obsession with it. [Smile]

I love Tom Tomorrow. I disagree with him like 80% of the time, but even when I disagree, he always makes me smile. Thanks for the link.
Posts: 2066 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member
Member # 99

 - posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
If a Satanic Death Cult or the Thuggee religion of stranglers had strict rules about food preparation, this would be like Campbell's Soup Company catering to them to pick up some business.
If Islam were like a Satanic Death Cult, perhaps. And if that Satanic Death Cult was so large that it constituted an enormous market for products, including soup.

quote:
other times you can't really, REALLY loathe something with every fiber of your being until you get to know it only all too well from bitter personal experience. That happened for many Americans on 9-11.
Do you really think 9/11 helped Americans get to know Islam well?
Posts: 22935 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member
Member # 6573

 - posted      Profile for Mucus   Email Mucus       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is worth noting two things. First, the soup is being released by Campbell's Canada, not the American branch. So boycotting in the US even in the highly unlikely event it results in a measurable decrease in sales, may very well be interpreted as a problem with sales in the US as opposed to policies in Canada. Second, the line of soups if you follow the links only seems to include vegetarian soups which lack meat. So while I have sympathy with the argument that one might want to avoid meat from inhumanely slaughtered animals, it doesn't exactly apply here.
Posts: 57 | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Viking_Longship
Member
Member # 3358

 - posted      Profile for Viking_Longship   Email Viking_Longship       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by cherrypoptart:
People don't worry so much about Jewish people and their kosherness or Hindus and not eating beef or Buddhist vegetarians because no one in any of those groups that I've ever heard of is in any way, shape, or form pressuring people to become Jewish, Hindu, or Buddhist.

In fact the way I hear it is if you want to convert to Judaism, you are refused three times. You really have to insist and be sure that's what you want.

Islam, however, is on a brutal worldwide conversion tour and is doing it in many places by force and terror. And their religion tells them not to stop or let up until every man, woman, and child on the face of the planet is a Muslim. So maybe that's the difference. Once you go Sharia, there's no going back. And you often don't have any say in the matter.

They can't seem to win an actual conventional war any more without US assistance so it's really a matter of how much ground people are willing to give them. I have some Saudi students right now and my boss already let them know they have to be in class on time on the same schedule as everybody else.

Incidentally neither of them even seem very concerned that their meat be halaal as long as it isn't pork.

Posts: 5765 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mostafa
Member
Member # 6590

 - posted      Profile for mostafa   Email mostafa       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Islamophobes turn anti-free enterprise

So, now Pam Geller and the rest of the "oh no, Islam is taking over" crowd have their panties in a bunch because Campbell's soup wants to make a buck by providing a product that harms no-one and that people will pay for. Is there a level of stupidity these people won't sink to?

Ricky, here in Egypt, there are products that have the flesh of swine to be suitable for Christians. We <Muslims> have no right to prevent the Christians from eating the pork as that is the instruction of Islam <Islam prevents Muslims from eating the flesh of swine not Christians> and we know that the Christians like the flesh of swine and we also know that Christianity does not forbid eating pork.

In the Egyptian countryside, the Christian peasants raise the pigs and eat it freely < Swine flu made our government Slaughter the pigs but now the Slaughter stops>

In America,

Why do you want to prevent Muslims from eating Halal meat under the name of the freedom?

There are many Muslims in America refuse to eat the flesh of swine that causes many diseases;therefore,Allah forbids it.

Why do you prevent Muslims from practising
their religion freely?

quote:
Tom, I realize that moderate and even many conservative Muslim groups have denounced Osama and other fundy terrorists.
I have said in my thread ''the real Islam'' that Al-Qaeda was wrong because of The September 11 attacks. Osama may want to revenge because the American soldiers destroy many buildings in Afghanistan and kill many Afghans but I see that Osama should fight those soldiers who displace many Afghans not kill the innocent people who had no guilty of the wars.

quote:
But what about Takfir? Have a substantial number of Muslim clerics stated that Osama Bin Laden is an apostate?

Accusing any Muslim of apostasy is an awful sin in Islam.If any person says ''There is no god but Allah, Mohammed is his last messanger''

This person will be Muslim.When this person commits any sin, we should not accuse him of apostasy but we should admit that he is wrong and Allah will punish him in judgement day if he does not repent.

people who shared The September 11 attacks said ''There is no god but Allah, Mohammed is his last messanger'' so they are Muslims but they committed an awful sin <Killing innocents without reasons>;therefore, I should never accuse them of apostasy but I should do what the prophet of peace ''Mohammed'' said:

''A person should help his brother, whether he is an oppressor or is being oppressed. If he is the oppressor, he should prevent him from continuing his oppression, for that is helping him. If he is being oppressed, he should be helped to stop the oppression against him.
The Prophet Muhammad''

Posts: 106 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rallan
Member
Member # 1936

 - posted      Profile for Rallan   Email Rallan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by cherrypoptart:
People don't worry so much about Jewish people and their kosherness or Hindus and not eating beef or Buddhist vegetarians because no one in any of those groups that I've ever heard of is in any way, shape, or form pressuring people to become Jewish, Hindu, or Buddhist.

In fact the way I hear it is if you want to convert to Judaism, you are refused three times. You really have to insist and be sure that's what you want.

Islam, however, is on a brutal worldwide conversion tour and is doing it in many places by force and terror. And their religion tells them not to stop or let up until every man, woman, and child on the face of the planet is a Muslim. So maybe that's the difference. Once you go Sharia, there's no going back. And you often don't have any say in the matter.

So are you deeply offended by christian dietary habits like eating fish on friday?

Or does this outrage only apply to the dietary habits of aggressively evangelical religions that aren't American enough?

Posts: 2570 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member
Member # 6573

 - posted      Profile for Mucus   Email Mucus       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mostafa:
... Why do you want to prevent Muslims from eating Halal meat under the name of the freedom?

quote:
Originally posted by Mucus:
... Second, the line of soups if you follow the links only seems to include vegetarian soups which lack meat ...

Just to be precise.
Posts: 57 | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cherrypoptart
Member
Member # 3942

 - posted      Profile for cherrypoptart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
> Rallan

> So are you deeply offended by Christian dietary habits like eating fish on Friday?

I don't care at all what anyone eats. I don't even object to cannibalism, as long as the food agreed to it in advance without coercion.

It'll be funny when the vegans defend the rights of people to eat what they want here, but then turn around and bust our balls for enjoying a Hickory Smoked Cheeseburger from Beck's Prime.

The thing that offends me is purposefully lying and being okay with that as long as it's to certain people, oppressing women, violating freedom of speech rights with threats of violence and carrying out those threats with murder, violating freedom of religion rights by banning apostasy, and so on. It's also offensive to kowtow to those with such beliefs instead of vigorously challenging them to improve themselves.

This issue presents the perfect opportunity to express staunch disapproval of ideals that are offensive to modern free societies, and it's very convenient because all it takes to do so is to try out another brand of soup. Nothing violent. Nothing illegal. Nothing even immoral. It might even be good for you if Healthy Request soups live up to their name.

Posts: 7675 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member
Member # 99

 - posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
It's also offensive to kowtow to those with such beliefs instead of vigorously challenging them to improve themselves.

This issue presents the perfect opportunity to express staunch disapproval of ideals that are offensive to modern free societies...

By asserting that every Muslim who wants to buy halal soup is an oppressor of women and murderous thug? That doesn't seem constructive to me.
Posts: 22935 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cherrypoptart
Member
Member # 3942

 - posted      Profile for cherrypoptart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know anyone who would assert that. I've asserted many times that the best Muslims are great people but as they lead the way and Islam takes a stronger hold in a country, they will eventually be replaced with hardliners and if the good people stay true to their character, perhaps even go so far as to speak out about injustice, they are likely to end up dead at the hands of the fundamentalists even before the infidel.

If you need proof of this, just look at Iran. Look at Afghanistan. Look at Iraq. No one can deny the great hearts of the Muslims fighting with our troops right now and making the ultimate sacrfice for our freedom, but those people are only a part of the way on the path to the final destination. And that final destination looks like Saudi Arabia, and Iran, and Pakistan, and Egypt.

It may have some good sides to it, but it's not where or how I want to live.

Posts: 7675 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RickyB
Member
Member # 1464

 - posted      Profile for RickyB   Email RickyB   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"In America,

Why do you want to prevent Muslims from eating Halal meat under the name of the freedom?

There are many Muslims in America refuse to eat the flesh of swine that causes many diseases;therefore,Allah forbids it.

Why do you prevent Muslims from practising
their religion freely? "

Why are you addrssing this to me? I started this thread to denounce the idiots who care what others eat.

Posts: 19145 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RickyB
Member
Member # 1464

 - posted      Profile for RickyB   Email RickyB   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Osama may want to revenge because the American soldiers destroy many buildings in Afghanistan and kill many Afghans"

Um, you do know that American soldiers only attacked in Afghanistan AFTER 9/11, right? I think Osama was angry about other things when he planned 9/11.

" But what about Takfir? Have a substantial number of Muslim clerics stated that Osama Bin Laden is an apostate?"

Takfir is a practice unique to OBL and his type of fundamentalists. It is not common Muslim practice.

[ October 09, 2010, 09:41 AM: Message edited by: RickyB ]

Posts: 19145 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pete at Home
Member
Member # 429

 - posted      Profile for Pete at Home   Email Pete at Home   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you for answering my question about apostasy, Mostafa.

quote:
Why do you prevent Muslims from practising
their religion freely?

Almost everyone who has commented on this thread has agreed with Ricky that those people who fight against Halal availability are stupid, Mostafa. Ricky (who is Jewish) started this thread to mock the people who protest halal soup. We are with you on this one. If you think that we want to prevent Muslims from having Halal food, then you have misunderstood.
Posts: 44193 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tonylovern
Member
Member # 2580

 - posted      Profile for tonylovern   Email tonylovern   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Colbert is covering the campbells story tonight.
Posts: 1045 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RickyB
Member
Member # 1464

 - posted      Profile for RickyB   Email RickyB   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bump for phil.
Posts: 19145 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hobsen
Member
Member # 2923

 - posted      Profile for hobsen   Email hobsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Any food marketed in Canada or the United States should be safe to eat, although of course bacterial infestation or contamination by poisons happens quite often in practice. In most cases such mistakes cause upset stomachs rather than death, but no one can be sure what will happen.

Beyond that the large North American population permits manufacturers to cater to groups requiring special foods: salt free, sugar free, low fat and so forth. Preparing foods acceptable to various religious groups merely extends that practice. And if manufacturers prepare foods acceptable to Hindus or Jews or various Christian sects, I see no reason they should not provide ones designed for Muslims. With several million Muslims in North America, there should be a market - and foods designed for Muslims can be eaten by anyone else as well, perhaps just because they taste good. I am very happy I do not have to be Chinese to eat Chinese food.

Posts: 4387 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
Message:

HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins
   


Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:


Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page

Powered by Infopop Corporation
UBB.classic™ 6.7.1