Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » I've cured Autism (and maybe a bunch of other stuff) (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: I've cured Autism (and maybe a bunch of other stuff)
LetterRip
Member # 310

- posted      Profile for LetterRip   Email LetterRip   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey all,

rather strong claim [Smile]

I have a unified theory that

1) can show why all of the various different treatments that some folks have had success actually work, and I can propose numerous treatments that are possibly more effective

2) show why it has increased over time, particularly in the US, and why different cultures have different rates

3) tie together numerous various purported causes and show what the actual common cause is.

Have already contacted Pete with part of the information. I'm totally frigging stoked [Smile]

Posts: 8287 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
starLisa
Member # 2543

- posted      Profile for starLisa   Email starLisa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can it put the bop in the bop-shu-bop-shu-bop? Or the ram in the rama-lama-ding-dong?
Posts: 2066 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LetterRip
Member # 310

- posted      Profile for LetterRip   Email LetterRip   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hehehe.

I want to post the whole theory right now, contemplating doing so - but would really like to ensure I get credit for it. Also there are about 2 dozen patents that could easily be filed off of this - and I should probably get them in just to prevent other entities doing so even if I don't try and get 'big bucks' from it.

Posts: 8287 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Adam Masterman
Member # 1142

- posted      Profile for Adam Masterman   Email Adam Masterman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is this what you do for work? Sounds like an unbelievable accomplishment. Finger crossed...

Adam

Posts: 4823 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LetterRip
Member # 310

It is possible I'm totally wrong and grossly exaggerating [Smile]

But I don't think I am.

Anywho promise to have more details within a couple of weeks.

Not what I do for work - it is what I do that distracts me from work [Smile]

LoverOfJoy
Member # 157

- posted      Profile for LoverOfJoy   Email LoverOfJoy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It may not be what you do for work but it'd still look great on a resume. I can picture you ten years from now:

"2010 - Discovered cure for autism"
"Great! but what have you done recently?" [Wink]

Good luck!

Posts: 3639 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LoverOfJoy
Member # 157

- posted      Profile for LoverOfJoy   Email LoverOfJoy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just to clarify, is this a cure for people who already have autism, a method to prevent autism, or both?
Posts: 3639 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LetterRip
Member # 310

LoJ,

probably both. Prevention pretty much certainty (there are alsmost certainly different paths for autism causation - but it appears that the majority of cases are via the method I've identified if my theory holds). Reversal for those who have it - extremely probable - although it might be a huge difference based on when treatment is initiated. Ie if it is within weeks/months/year versus 10 or 20 years. I suspect that caught and treated sooner would have much faster and better outcomes. I have not looked at all at the timing of particular neurological growth spurts and the effect of autism on those. So I really can't say at this time.

philnotfil
Member # 1881

- posted      Profile for philnotfil     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't believe you are holding out on us like this [Smile]
Posts: 3719 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DonaldD
Member # 1052

- posted      Profile for DonaldD   Email DonaldD   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's where we see if 'big pharma' is as powerful as the 'military industrial complex'.

Will LetterRip be disappeared?

Posts: 10751 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LetterRip
Member # 310

DonaldD,

Big Pharma owns patents on some of the drugs that look useful already.

philnotfil,

heh well I've emailed a couple of Orneryians, will spill the beans completely soonish I hope. I have a few tasks I'm juggling simultaneously.

Carlotta
Member # 3117

- posted      Profile for Carlotta   Email Carlotta   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looking forward to reading about it when you do!
Posts: 1318 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyrtolin
Member # 2638

- posted      Profile for Pyrtolin   Email Pyrtolin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Given that I've got two autistic kids of my own (and three cousins as well, so my family has been digging at it for a while) I'm very interested to hear about this as well- especially if there's something that can be done on the home level about it.
Posts: 11997 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 945

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm both skeptical and hopeful, LR. Good luck.
Posts: 6847 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JoshuaD
Member # 1420

- posted      Profile for JoshuaD   Email JoshuaD   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by scifibum:
I'm both skeptical and hopeful, LR. Good luck.

Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DonaldD
Member # 1052

- posted      Profile for DonaldD   Email DonaldD   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Big Pharma owns patents on some of the drugs that look useful already.
Exactly. Change locations often, use disposable cell phones, and watch out for new neighbours.
Posts: 10751 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LetterRip
Member # 310

Pyr and others who have autistics in your family, I can forward the short version if you like. Or within two weeks to a month I should have something that looks a bit more professional.

Quite a bit of it is stuff that can be tried without a doctor and without any downside risk. However, some cases would almost certainly need prescriptions and medical exams.

Many of the treatments are being done by many autistic sufferers, but because there is no theory coordinating an approach to treatment it is piecemeal and random which results in hit and miss effectiveness.

With a solid theoretical approach I can suggest doing a list of 20 things in a coordinated manner that are reinforcing.

An issue I see is that the failure that results in the disease, can't necessarily be fixed by just fixing that problem. Ie A, B, or C can result in the disease. If you fix A,B, or C quickly enough then no further problem. If you try and fix a problem caused by A, using the method for B, and A leads to C. Then you cycle through the solutions for B,A,C and you never have any success because all three need to be fixed at the same time and fixing one doesn't lead to fixing the other. So you get in the literature what looks like essentially random results, with some folks claiming this works, others claiming that works, some people nothing seems to work.

Anywho I won't know for certain till I provide list of 'do this, this, and this, but not this' and folks either get results or not.

Pete at Home
Member # 429

- posted      Profile for Pete at Home   Email Pete at Home   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pyrtolin:
Given that I've got two autistic kids of my own (and three cousins as well, so my family has been digging at it for a while) I'm very interested to hear about this as well- especially if there's something that can be done on the home level about it.

Pyr, how did I miss that detail about you, brother? [Embarrassed]

[ October 15, 2010, 08:59 PM: Message edited by: Pete at Home ]

Posts: 44193 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gaoics79
Member # 969

- posted      Profile for Gaoics79   Email Gaoics79   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I have a unified theory that

1) can show why all of the various different treatments that some folks have had success actually work, and I can propose numerous treatments that are possibly more effective

2) show why it has increased over time, particularly in the US, and why different cultures have different rates

3) tie together numerous various purported causes and show what the actual common cause is.

Oh is that it? [Eek!] Do I have to tune in at 11:00 to find out more? [Big Grin]

Without revealing too much, is this something that will assist us prospective parents in avoiding this condition? Is the answer animal, vegetable, mineral? For God's sake, tell us more!!!

Posts: 7629 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
edgmatt
Member # 6449

- posted      Profile for edgmatt   Email edgmatt       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LetterRip -

My wife is pregnant, due in February. Everything is on the right track, healthy, well within what is considered "normal" ranges, there is very low risk for any kind of mental or physical abnormality whatsoever. So I wouldn't consider myself a "priority" over anyone else, particularly someone who already has autistic children.

However, I worry about this sort of thing constantly. If you have something you can tell me I should be avoiding, something commonplace that I shouldn't be doing, or something very simple that I should be doing, I would be eternally grateful for that bit of information. E-mail me or whatever if you think it's necessary.

Posts: 1439 | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LetterRip
Member # 310

Feel free to email me,

I can add people as view only since I'm writing it in a google doc.

Grant
Member # 1925

- posted      Profile for Grant   Email Grant       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Get published somewhere first LR. If you're a professional in a field you might get to be able to get in a professional journal. If not, publish anywhere. Put it in a letter column in the back of a marvel comic book or to Hustler magazine. As long as you state your theory first in print somwhere, you'll get credit. I'm not sure about the patent stuff unless it also has to do with a drug formula or something.

I know you're excited, but I understand you want credit for it, and we want to make sure you get credit for it. Start sending your article to all kinds of journals. If all else fails, then publish on OA.

Posts: 3264 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LetterRip
Member # 310

Grant,

article is in progress as we speak, and a few ornerians already have access to it in its entirely raw state.

Grant
Member # 1925

- posted      Profile for Grant   Email Grant       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't make the mistake Karen Owen made.

PS. I don't mean sleeping with a lacross team, by all means do that if possible.

[ October 16, 2010, 12:04 AM: Message edited by: Grant ]

Posts: 3264 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyrtolin
Member # 2638

- posted      Profile for Pyrtolin   Email Pyrtolin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LetterRip:
Pyr and others who have autistics in your family, I can forward the short version if you like. Or within two weeks to a month I should have something that looks a bit more professional.

Thanks- my handle here at gmail is fine for reaching me.
Posts: 11997 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyrtolin
Member # 2638

quote:
Originally posted by Pete at Home:
quote:
Originally posted by Pyrtolin:

Pyr, how did I miss that detail about you, brother? [Embarrassed]
I haven't really seen the need to address it directly- mostly its been in context of talking about the PA medical benefits they get to help with treatment. Both of mine are flavors of the ADHD variety- so fully functional, but not able to keep a good handle on their overall behavior.
LetterRip
Member # 310

Ok here is a summary, I just recently added a step that I'd completely overlooked, but is drastically important.

1) Fetal waste is disposed of through the mother
2) Normally such waste doesn't cause the mothers immune system to do anything due to the presence of TReg (t-cell regulators) that tell the immune system to ignore the foreign presence
3) During immune stress of the mother (such as influenza, but also I think 'gut leakage' and probably lots of others) something happens that these tregs can be ignored - perhaps this specific treg is down regulated, or the immune response is so strong it is ignored
4) mom develops antibodies to fetal proteins from the fetal waste (it doesn't develop it to every protein - what I'm suspecting is that the odds of developing it against anything in particular are small - that autism is one of a large number of autoimmune disorders that occur this way - so for one child it is autism, another it is ADHD, for another it is arthritis, etc.)
5) after delivery mom nurses baby
6) the immunity of the mother against the babys proteins is transferred
7) most of the time the immune system is fairly dormant, but under immune stress similar to the original the fetal protein is attacked vigorously
8) every treatment that has 'worked' for autism looks to me like it is preventing gut leakage so that the autoimmune response is not triggered.

So prevention is

1) keep moms gut healthy taking supplements that are known to

a) maintain the tight junction proteins
b) maintain intestinal mucosa
c) maintain good bacteria at healthy levels

2) before first breast feeding it would be good to have a immunity test to make sure that mom won't transfer autoimmunity to the infant

3) maintain good gut health in the infant/child to keep from stirring up the autoimmune response

I think there is a link to mercury, but it is rather indirect - what I think is happening is that the mercury is binding to acetylcholine receptors of the infants intestine. This binding reduces gut motility. The reduced gut motility results in reduced intestinal health and leads to intestinal permeability - which stirs up the immune response.

Note that some percentage of autism will be purely genetic but I think a lot of it is happening this way.

LetterRip
Member # 310

Also I think it possible that the mother transferring autoimmune isn't strictly necessary. It could just be the infant develops autoimmune from his own gut leakage.
PanHeraclitean
Member # 3120

- posted      Profile for PanHeraclitean   Email PanHeraclitean   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How long would the immunity test take? I would hate having to wait hours to nurse my baby after birth! [Frown]

ETA: Um, that was Carlotta. Didn't know my hubby was still signed in. Don't worry, he doesn't nurse our children.

[ October 16, 2010, 01:25 PM: Message edited by: PanHeraclitean ]

Posts: 1259 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LetterRip
Member # 310

No idea on how long the delay would be. Potentially such a test could happen before birth.

I do know that very recent findings (past 3-6 months) have shown mom has antibodies to fetal brain proteins. I'm not sure how they are extracting such proteins to do the test though [Smile]

LetterRip
Member # 310

Essentially the demands of infection I think are exhausting the ability of the mom to produce the tregs needed to keep the infant proteins from causing immunity. Think guns vs butter economics [Smile]
JoshuaD
Member # 1420

- posted      Profile for JoshuaD   Email JoshuaD   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LetterRip: How are you proposing to help someone whose child is already autistic, and has been for some time?
Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayward Son
Member # 210

- posted      Profile for Wayward Son   Email Wayward Son   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Curious about that, too, since my kid was diagnosed once as being on the autism spectrum (very mild, if at all) and because he has an autoimmune disorder (JIA).
Posts: 8681 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayward Son
Member # 210

- posted      Profile for Wayward Son   Email Wayward Son   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, yeah, and when you become famous, make sure you mention us (and especially emphasize how WS inspired your discovery [Wink] [Smile] ).
Posts: 8681 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LetterRip
Member # 310

JoshuaD,

first I'd like to get some data about age and cure rate. As I said above, I'm not positive how long/severe an autistic state can have persisted for before it is untreatable by preventing autoimmune responses.

All of the cases where I've heard of cures seem to be quite young.

That said, my thoughts are

1) First do everything regarding small intestine health possible, to ensure that a low grade immune response against the brain is not constantly being triggered

2) I'd supplement DPP-IV; amino acids, vitamins, minerals, and enzymes needed for brain development and neurotransmitters; and add nootropics supplementation - also probably a histamine agonist (I'm trying to find drugs that stimulate thalmic histamine receptor up regulation instead of using agonists - thalmic H2 receptor is associated with sensory integration)

3) In addition to the standard behaviour therapys being done - i'd like to examine things like 'dual n back' like mental training games. I'm guessing that a game around sensory integration techniques can be developed for something like the iPad.

LetterRip
Member # 310

Pete, Wayward, Pyr, and JoshuaD

have any of you tried specific nootropics

Piracetam
Prednizone

or any of the typical alzheimers drugs?

If it were me, in addition to my above recommendations - I'd supplement with Piracetam for sure (no negative side effects have ever been found as far as I'm aware, it is even included in some energy drinks), and look into perscriptions for

donepezil hydrochloride (Aricept)
http://www.dukehealth.org/health_library/news/8184

and

Prednizone (this might again be another that is only effective in preventing autoimmune attack when first discovered, and not at reversing)
http://www.aheadwithautism.com/research.html

and look at other alzhemiers related drugs and supplements and nootropics in general.

[ October 16, 2010, 08:51 PM: Message edited by: LetterRip ]

Ben
Member # 1153

- posted      Profile for Ben   Email Ben   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting stuff! Best of luck to you on this and I will be watching to see how it turns out. I have a few relatives with mild or potential (young and cannot be tested definitely yet) autism issues also.
Posts: 523 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LetterRip
Member # 310

Ok,

here are some things that I believe suggest you should be hyper vigilant for autism and other disorders (ASD, other learning disabilities, and also probably risk of immune disorders).

0) familial history of hyper active immunity/immunity disorders and autoimmune disorders
1) premature birth
2) abnormal umbilical cord pH
3) maternal antibodies to the milk protein butyrophilin
4) infant antibodies to butyrophilin
5) intestinal permeability after 1 month of birth (my 1 month is rather arbitrary - not sure when this should be checked for certain)

LetterRip
Member # 310

I'll point out a couple of things that my theory explains

1) why the increase in autism over time - premies have greater risk of autism - we can save more premies now

2) why more boys than girls - 4 out 5 premies are boys

3) why is there a birth order effect - first child is the most likely to be a premie

while gut closure for premies and non premies converges to fully closed roughly over the same period - premies have significantly greater leakage during the first 24 hours.

4) why a maternal age effect - again maternal age increases the liklihood of a premie

5) why the umbilical cord pH - slower gut closure rate correlates with abnormal umbilical cord pH.

6) what about butyophilin - there is cross reaction between antibodies to butyrophilin and brain proteins

My though is that early gut leakage allows butyrophilin in to enter into the blood stream.

The body develops a reaction to it which results in cross reactivity to brain proteins.

Gut leakage results in repeated immunological response to the butyrophilin in the diet which results in the immune system beating up on the brain proteins.

Later gut leakage causes chronic inflamation.

I think that moms reaction to butyophilin isn't necessarily doing the attack it is just showing the fetal immunes system having a potential to develop a similar immune response.

[ October 17, 2010, 07:36 PM: Message edited by: LetterRip ]

LetterRip
Member # 310

Possibly the increase in issues we see between 18 months and 3 years is that over that time we get constant new foods, and the intestine responds with increased leakage (speculating). During that time we still have milk with about every meal. So the leakage caused by new foods leaks the milk protein and then we get our negative response.

[ October 17, 2010, 07:42 PM: Message edited by: LetterRip ]

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page