Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Thinking of un-registering from the Democratic Party

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Thinking of un-registering from the Democratic Party
Pete at Home
Member # 429

- posted      Profile for Pete at Home   Email Pete at Home   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is not a political statement. In this election, more than any previous one, I voted nearly straight line Democrat. I voted for Harry Reid. I voted for Shelley Berkeley.

Nor is this a statement of conscience. While I have some views which go against those of the party, and while I'm suspicious of groupthink generally, I think that the two party system is the best suited for avoiding tyranny and extremism, for marginalizing extremists without interfering with their civil rights of speech. It's a far cry better than some European countries which apply criminal sanctions to sheet-heads like Le Pen for hate speech and then elect them to high office.

I just can't take the harassment. Every 45 minutes I'm getting a cell phone call and a house phone call from the Democratic Party. Did I give them my cell phone number? Leave me alone! I voted already and in this economy I don't have money to pay my bills, let alone contribute to elections. I wonder if it's illegal to register to vote but to give them the wrong telephone number.

Posts: 44193 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 1217

- posted      Profile for 0Megabyte   Email 0Megabyte       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL!

I feel your pain, brother. I feel your pain. It seems like they call me every single day sometimes. My inbox is filled with their statements too, and has been ever since 08. They won't leave me alone, no matter what I do! I'm voting! Isn't it enough?!

Posts: 2668 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LetterRip
Member # 310

- posted      Profile for LetterRip   Email LetterRip   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pete,

agreed it is absolutely ridiculous.

Posts: 8287 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheRallanator
Member # 6624

- posted      Profile for TheRallanator   Email TheRallanator       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been thinking of doing the opposite lately. Not joining the Democrats (I'm in the wrong country to join America's Democrats, and the Australian Democratic Party is a useless joke that collapsed into political obscurity a few years ago), but joining a political party. The state of civil liberties ain't quite what it could be in the Downunderverse, and I'm vaguely aware that it's my duty as a citizen in a democracy to do something about it.
Posts: 503 | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LoverOfJoy
Member # 157

- posted      Profile for LoverOfJoy   Email LoverOfJoy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I wonder if it's illegal to register to vote but to give them the wrong telephone number.
I hope not. Last April Fools a dozen of us Orneryans registered to vote and gave them your phone number. Didn't it raise any eyebrows when most of the phone calls were for out-of-state politicians? [Wink] j/k
Posts: 3639 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carlotta
Member # 3117

- posted      Profile for Carlotta   Email Carlotta   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unregistering probably won't work. We get auto-dialed phone calls, half of them recordings, from every person around here running for mayor or city council! One of the many reasons we no longer answer our home phone - it's pretty much for outgoing emergency calls only.
Posts: 1318 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
flydye
Member # 6554

- posted      Profile for flydye   Email flydye       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Funny. I said a few strong things to Republicans about their spending practices in 2006 and they haven't really bothered me much since without deregistering.

Mind you, I also heavily screen my calls so maybe that's it. Anything out of area is ignored.

Posts: 702 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Star Pilot 111
Member # 1972

- posted      Profile for Star Pilot 111     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote Carlotta
We get auto-dialed phone calls, half of them recordings..

It is getting worse.
I look at the caller I.D. If it's unfamiliar I say hello, if no one replies in two seconds I hang up. If they do say what they're calling for I don't say a word, I just hang up. It's a little rude but it makes me feel good. [Smile]

Posts: 337 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stevarooni
Member # 6053

- posted      Profile for Stevarooni   Email Stevarooni   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pete at Home:
I just can't take the harassment. Every 45 minutes I'm getting a cell phone call and a house phone call from the Democratic Party. Did I give them my cell phone number? Leave me alone! I voted already and in this economy I don't have money to pay my bills, let alone contribute to elections. I wonder if it's illegal to register to vote but to give them the wrong telephone number.

Heh. I'm registered Libertarian (though don't typically vote straight ticket), and I got 3 calls from Democrats asking if they could count on my vote. [Razz] De-registering won't save you!
Posts: 536 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pete at Home
Member # 429

- posted      Profile for Pete at Home   Email Pete at Home   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If de-registering gets me down to a mere THREE calls, that would make me very happy.
Posts: 44193 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JWatts
Member # 6523

- posted      Profile for JWatts   Email JWatts   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
If de-registering gets me down to a mere THREE calls, that would make me very happy.

Are you getting that many calls? That's awful. On your cell phone or your house phone?
Posts: 4700 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pete at Home
Member # 429

quote:
Originally posted by JWatts:
quote:

Are you getting that many calls? That's awful. On your cell phone or your house phone?
Both. At least four calls a day on my cell, plus 2+ on my wife's cell, and 5+ on our house phone. Thank heavens it's over.

Funny epilogue -- 5 minutes ago the doorbell rang, and it was the County Commissioner on the doorstep. My first reaction was, you're going door to door now? My second reaction was, hey, I voted for you Saturday, and the election was over yesterday. WTF? Turns out she lives 2 blocks away and she's lost her bulldog. Really nice lady. I'm glad I voted for her. Hope she finds her dog.

Lyrhawn
Member # 3319

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm glad I live in a state where we don't have to register with a party.

Can't you register as an independent though?

Posts: 729 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pete at Home
Member # 429

I could. But then I would not get a say in the primaries.

[ November 06, 2010, 03:42 AM: Message edited by: Pete at Home ]

Lyrhawn
Member # 3319

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought in states where you registered as an independent, you got to pick which primary you wanted to vote in.

That's really an odd way of doing things.

Posts: 729 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyrtolin
Member # 2638

- posted      Profile for Pyrtolin   Email Pyrtolin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
I thought in states where you registered as an independent, you got to pick which primary you wanted to vote in.

The law varies from state to state. Some let you pick your primary (I'm not sure how this plays out in ones that let anyone into a primary but have them on different days- seems on the surface like that would mean that you could get into both) others lock them down to only the party in question.

Of course, in the latter states, it's very common to drop poll questions onto the primary ballots to dampen independent voices, since they often don't bother to turn out even though they could vote on the questions even without an affiliation. That's a really obnoxious trick.

Posts: 11997 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OpsanusTau
Member # 2350

- posted      Profile for OpsanusTau   Email OpsanusTau   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Turns out she lives 2 blocks away and she's lost her bulldog. Really nice lady. I'm glad I voted for her. Hope she finds her dog.
I hope she finds her dog, and I hope that the next dog she gets is something a little less unethical than a bulldog.
It's just not right to encourage the breeding of animals who are that deformed (the breed definition requires it, basically) for the amusement of people who think the disability is cute.
[Frown]

Posts: 3791 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page