Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » More Media Drama

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: More Media Drama
Pyrtolin
Member # 2638

- posted      Profile for Pyrtolin   Email Pyrtolin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-20021940-503544.html

Olbermann has been suspended from MSNBC for making political contributions.

Posts: 11997 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TommySama
Member # 2780

- posted      Profile for TommySama   Email TommySama       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had no idea he leaned leftward. This is an outrage, he ought to be fired. Rawr
Posts: 6396 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JoshuaD
Member # 1420

- posted      Profile for JoshuaD   Email JoshuaD   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lol, what bull****. We know he leans left. I don't care if he makes contributions.

I wouldn't mind if he was suspended for being such an inflammatory twit though. :-)

Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyrtolin
Member # 2638

- posted      Profile for Pyrtolin   Email Pyrtolin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Someone else I know put it this way:

quote:
Someone should be unbearably smugly sanctimonious about this.

Where is Keith Olbermann when you need him?

I imagine this will last long enough to deflate him a bit, but not too much longer since it doesn't really affect his credibility much. NBC's overall policy seems reasonable, and there probably wouldn't have been an issue (perhaps some required public disclosures and disclaimers) if he had properly followed it. Thy certainly can't just ignore it in his case, otherwise they lose the ability to clearly enforce the policy in general.
Posts: 11997 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cherrypoptart
Member # 3942

- posted      Profile for cherrypoptart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's a very good lesson there. When you are as bad at your job as Keith is and have ratings as low as his, you don't want to give your employer any excuse to get rid of you.

From a human resources perspective as an employer and trying to save money on severence packages, unemployment benefits and such, many employers would rather fire someone with cause than have to let them go "just because."

So be careful out there.

Posts: 7675 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Funean
Member # 2345

- posted      Profile for Funean   Email Funean   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm always baffled when people in high profile positions violate their agreements in ways that are utterly and completely traceable. Adultery is stupid enough (see 'two people can keep a secret if one of them is dead' rule) but at least it can be conducted in a way so as to avoid a paper trail. So is it arrogance, narcissism, false modesty, or just boneheaded inability to reason from action to consequence?
Posts: 5277 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
flydye
Member # 6554

- posted      Profile for flydye   Email flydye       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd just as soon they get rid of that rule. All it does is give Liberal media types cover, which really isn't worth the couple grand they can give.

A) it allows them to particapate in Democracy

B) it puts more, not less pressure on them to try to be objective. Not that I'm expecting much

Olberman is easily as objectionable as anyone on the Right, but without the audience.

Posts: 702 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JWatts
Member # 6523

- posted      Profile for JWatts   Email JWatts   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm glad that MSNBC followed their rules here. I don't think the offense warrants firing. A reprimand with a promise from olberman of no further ethical violations should be sufficient.

I do object to a public newscaster giving money to a candidate and interviewing the candidate without any public disclosure of the fact. Keith Olberman should have prefaced every such interview with a disclaimer that he had contributed to the campaign. Nor should he have donated to a campaign after interviewing the candidate on air. It's a sleazy tactic.

Posts: 4700 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Adam Masterman
Member # 1142

- posted      Profile for Adam Masterman   Email Adam Masterman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by JWatts:

I do object to a public newscaster giving money to a candidate and interviewing the candidate without any public disclosure of the fact. Keith Olberman should have prefaced every such interview with a disclaimer that he had contributed to the campaign.

Agreed. NPR makes that kind of disclosure all the time, with stuff that often seems trivial, but this makes me appreciate that all the more. All Things Considered is really the only traditional form of news I still use.

[ November 05, 2010, 09:22 PM: Message edited by: Adam Masterman ]

Posts: 4823 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Funean
Member # 2345

- posted      Profile for Funean   Email Funean   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The simplest solution to me seems to be to let every person and every entity (excluding foreign entities, perhaps) donate as much as they want but with full disclosure and transparency. No shell corporations, no dodges through layers of funding organizations.
Posts: 5277 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben
Member # 1153

- posted      Profile for Ben   Email Ben   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe in disclosure also, I don't care how much money as long as it is open and upfront. What makes this funny for me is that he recently criticized others in the news media for making donations, particularly Fox, even when disclosed. So he's just a silly hypocrite on this topic. <Insert Nelson laughing>
Posts: 523 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 99

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He criticized Fox News, the organization, for making donations. Not that this is much of a defense -- but it's less hypocritical than it sounds.
Posts: 22935 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Adam Masterman
Member # 1142

- posted      Profile for Adam Masterman   Email Adam Masterman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
He criticized Fox News, the organization, for making donations. Not that this is much of a defense -- but it's less hypocritical than it sounds.

Its still every bit as hypocritical as it sounds, but yes, a news organization donating to a particular party is a patent absurdity in terms of ethic.
Posts: 4823 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TommySama
Member # 2780

- posted      Profile for TommySama   Email TommySama       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Adam Masterman:
quote:

Its still every bit as hypocritical as it sounds, but yes, a news organization donating to a particular party is a patent absurdity in terms of ethic.
LOL WUT

The absurdity in terms of ethics is the ridiculous and blatantly false image of "objectivity" the media claims to follow.

Posts: 6396 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
G2
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The drama is over!
quote:
MSNBC says Keith Olbermann will be back on the air Tuesday, ending his suspension for violating NBC’s rules against making political donations after two shows.

MSNBC’s chief executive Phil Griffin said late Sunday that after several days of deliberation, he had determined that two days off the air was “an appropriate punishment for his violation of our policy.”

Olbie's long, arduous and oh so stressful hours of suspension, costing him about 40 minutes of air time per donation, have ended and Ed Morrisey nails it:
quote:
Basically, this was nothing more than a farcical publicity stunt, and a pleasant long weekend for the supposed perp/victim.

[ November 08, 2010, 08:59 AM: Message edited by: G2 ]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JWatts
Member # 6523

- posted      Profile for JWatts   Email JWatts   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Adam Masterman:
quote:

Fox News did not donate to Republican's. News Corp donated to Republicans. That still may be inappropriate, but Keith Olberman failed to mention that the company that owns MSNBC is GE. And that GE donates to political candidates frequently.

Coming out against any media company or their parent donating to Political campaigns is a valid point of discussion. Criticizing your ideological opponent for doing it while you yourself do it is rank hypocrisy.

Posts: 4700 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyrtolin
Member # 2638

quote:
Coming out against any media company or their parent donating to Political campaigns is a valid point of discussion. Criticizing your ideological opponent for doing it while you yourself do it is rank hypocrisy.
This is only true if the criticism is for the act itself rather than for the deviation from stated standards. Olbermann is every explicitly a Liberal commentator, he doesn't pretend that he will present a balanced or objective viewpoint. On the other hand, when a network that claims to hold a balanced point while at the same time significantly funding one side over the other and allowing that side and its commentators to use its air time to explicitly solicit funds, reality diverges pretty spectacularly from its stated aims.
JWatts
Member # 6523

quote:
Originally posted by Pyrtolin:
quote:
This is only true if the criticism is for the act itself rather than for the deviation from stated standards.

I have no idea what you mean with this statement.

quote:
Originally posted by Pyrtolin:
Olbermann is every explicitly a Liberal commentator, he doesn't pretend that he will present a balanced or objective viewpoint.

Do you have an official source where MSNBC admits to being a "liberal" network? Or that Keith Olbermann's show is a "liberal" show?

Seriously, I looked at the official web pages and no where does it make any admittance to that effect.

As far as Fox's slogan "Fair and Balanced", it has always been explicit that the "News" programs will be reasonably neutral and that Editorial shows will have both liberal and conservative guests. It is impossible for any person or organization to escape bias.

quote:
Murdoch saying that Fox has "given room to both sides, whereas only one side had it before."
Fox News is biased towards the right, but you will almost always see an issue presented from two points of view. Traditionally they have a conservative and a liberal commentator to argue each side. MSNBC will just run an entire cast of liberals for a news event with no attempt at counter balance.
G2
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The drama is back!
quote:
Originally posted by cherrypoptart:
When you are as bad at your job as Keith is and have ratings as low as his, you don't want to give your employer any excuse to get rid of you.

Apparentlty Olberman did not get that memo:
quote:
Current TV said Friday afternoon that it had terminated the contract of its lead anchor Keith Olbermann, scarcely one year after he was hired to reboot the fledgling channel in his progressive political image.

Mr. Olbermann did not immediately respond to a request for comment. Current indicated that he had failed to honor the terms of his five-year, $50 million contract, giving the channel the right to terminate it.

In the letter, the channel’s founders, Al Gore and Joel Hyatt, wrote on Friday: “We created Current to give voice to those Americans who refuse to rely on corporate-controlled media and are seeking an authentic progressive outlet. We are more committed to those goals today than ever before. Current was also founded on the values of respect, openness, collegiality, and loyalty to our viewers. Unfortunately these values are no longer reflected in our relationship with Keith Olbermann and we have ended it.”

Mr. Olbermann will not be given an opportunity to sign off.

The decision to dismiss him was unanimous. It will be interesting to see who give Olbie another shot.

[ March 30, 2012, 05:28 PM: Message edited by: G2 ]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AI Wessex
Member # 6653

- posted      Profile for AI Wessex   Email AI Wessex   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps FOX will to extend their corporate objective of balanced points of view.
Posts: 8393 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
G3
Member # 6723

- posted      Profile for G3   Email G3       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Poor Keith:
quote:
The terms of the settlement, which was reported earlier this week, were not released. But two sources familiar with the negotiations now tell POLITICO that during the mediation stage, Olbermann’s legal representatives cited his inability to get a job at another network — a move one source close to the negotiations interpreted as an effort to gain sympathy for Olbermann.

“One of the cards his people played was hardship,” the source, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, told POLITICO. “He spent last fall talking to all the major networks, and he couldn’t get a job. The idea was, this could be the last money he ever earned.”…

POLITICO has confirmed that Olbermann approached numerous cable and broadcast news channels, including ABC News, in pursuit of a job while still on contract with Current TV. Olbermann has also approached non-news networks, including ESPN and AMC, the channel that broadcasts “Mad Men” and “Breaking Bad,” sources told POLITICO…

“No one would hire him, and that became a negotiating ploy,” a source told POLITICO.

Posts: 2234 | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
djquag1
Member # 6553

- posted      Profile for djquag1   Email djquag1       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Last money he ever makes?

Last I checked, retail and fast food places are still hiring.

Posts: 769 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayward Son
Member # 210

- posted      Profile for Wayward Son   Email Wayward Son   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't see why he couldn't read stories on the Disney Channel. [Smile]
Posts: 8681 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
starLisa
Member # 2543

- posted      Profile for starLisa   Email starLisa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AI Wessex:
Perhaps FOX will to extend their corporate objective of balanced points of view.

FOX could make some serious PR points by offering to hire him.
Posts: 2066 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pete at Home
Member # 429

- posted      Profile for Pete at Home   Email Pete at Home   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's really foolish to make a rule against being honest about one's political PoV.
Posts: 44193 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page