Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Attorney distribution -- LR, you're my only hope

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Attorney distribution -- LR, you're my only hope
Pete at Home
Member # 429

- posted      Profile for Pete at Home   Email Pete at Home   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LR, I've been going nuts trying to find some information for several weeks now, and I think you're my best hope to finding this. I am interested in finding out which states, counties and/or cities have the greatest need for attorneys, and which specialties are in particular demand. For example, I happen to know that Utah has an extreme EXCESS of attorneys, and that there is very little work here due to low population, waning business, high unemployment and two of the best law schools in the country. I'm interested in finding out if there are areas where the opposite is true.

My understanding is that nationally 63% of attorneys practice in the same state that they obtained their law degree. Thus, I'd prefer to apply to law schools in cities/states where I have a strong chance of getting a job (and also places where I could tolerate living with 3+ kids, i.e. NOT LA, SF or NYC!!!)

Thanks!

-Pete

Posts: 44193 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Everard
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Patent law is in high demand. ADA's area ALWAYS in demand, although the salary tends to be low.

As for locale's, stay away from the eastern megalopolis in general. High population of college's and lawyers. The upper midwest is probably a better bet. If you don't mind cold, places such as Eau Claire, Wisconsin, are probably good areas to check out. Cities in the middle of large expanses of rural areas, in other words. I'm pretty certain St. Louis and Kansas City are overpopulated in terms of lawyers, as is seattle and portland, ORE, although Portland ME might be a good bet. Texas is probably not so good, in general, although some areas might have openings. New Orleans is also out, as is Atlanta. Southern VA might be a good place to look into.

Just some places to think about.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LetterRip
Member # 310

- posted      Profile for LetterRip   Email LetterRip   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pete,

you stated

quote:
I am interested in finding out which states, counties and/or cities have the greatest need for attorneys, and which specialties are in particular demand.

http://legal.monster.com/articles/lawyer/ http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos053.htm

Alas, that information does not appear to be readily available. The BLS might have that information, but I didn't see it published.

Pretty much every state has an excess of lawyers relative to demand.

If you contact the author of this paper
http://www.bls.gov/opub/mlr/2001/11/art4exc.htm

He might have the information you need, since he's done occupation specific projections of demand.

This article
http://seattle.bizjournals.com/seattle/stories/2002/02/25/newscolumn4.html

notes what specialities are still in demand.

Hope that helped,

LetterRip

Posts: 8287 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Redskullvw
Member # 188

- posted      Profile for Redskullvw   Email Redskullvw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pete try Macon Georgia...
Posts: 6333 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pete at Home
Member # 429

- posted      Profile for Pete at Home   Email Pete at Home   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, guys. Good news is that Biotech patents were already my first interest ... bad news is that while I have considerable coursework & some research, I lack any sort of science degree to back it up ...

Eau Claire Wisconsin and Macon Georgia, eh? Will look into it. My top 2 choices for law school are so far Duke and U of Minnesota. LR, that was depressing info about the national Lawyer glut -- all those sources seem to agree.

Posts: 44193 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Everard
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of the advantages to the two suggested places, and your top two schools... duke isn't THAT far from macon, and UM is right next door to eau claire.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dom Peralt
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Dom Peralt   Email Dom Peralt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pete,

You can always find a job as a lawyer. The question is what kind of salary you're willing to settle for. I'm in my second year of law school right now, so I know what you're going through.

It is not necessarily true that there are more lawyers than demand holds. The problem with compiling statistics is that there are lots of people with J.D.'s who aren't lawyers--and some of them are members of the bar, but non-practicing, for business reasons.

As for patents, you can't take the patent bar unless you have a technical degree, i.e. a B.S. in science or engineering. (Although I think you might be able to get by with a B.A.)

Posts: 749 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Redskullvw
Member # 188

- posted      Profile for Redskullvw   Email Redskullvw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pete if your interested in Southern Law practice, Mercer University in Macon is THE place to get degreed. They really do turn out some good lawyers. Then again they poped out my worthless ADA brother so they obviously make errors as well.

My brother the lawyer who has as much a grasp on constitutional law as i have a grasp on quantum physics.

Posts: 6333 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pete at Home
Member # 429

Thanks for the advice! Yes, I noted the proximity of Duke to Macon and U of Minn to Eau Claire.

The south sounds attractive, Red; my only concern is how a non-southerner (not to mention a mormon) would fare in a Southern state, in a job where personal PR is such an issue. Think that would be a problem?

Dom -- good to see you again! My understanding from the patent office site (http://www.USPTO.gov ) is that there is an exception to the science degree requirement if you have so many chemistry/physics & biology credits, which I have -- or very close to. My BA and MA are in English, but I minored in chemistry and have at least 35 hours in biology, much of it upper level. Basically it comes down to the question of whether they take my ethnobotany course as written (a 500-level botany class) or if they say it's more anthropology than hard science (which would be true), in which I'd need to take another bio class to qualify.

LadyKat
Member # 821

- posted      Profile for LadyKat   Email LadyKat   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pete,

If you think about FL at all, I would love to meet you. BTW, my dad is a judge here in Orlando, but he went to the U of Michigan. I definitely don't think that you would find hostility toward Mormons here, perhaps a general lack of understanding but not hostility. We also don’t have a state tax (yet). FL is defiantly a great place to live. Everyone is breaking out the sweaters and jackets here because it got cold (with a low of 45 F, and a high of 65 F). Good luck with your choice, I think that’s one of the best parts of life.

Kat

[This message has been edited by LadyKat (edited November 18, 2002).]

Posts: 98 | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maniacal_engineer
Member # 116

- posted      Profile for maniacal_engineer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought he was asking for places that NEED lawyers? Does ANYPLACE really NEED lawyers?

Posts: 962 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page