Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » A conversation about unionization and higher education (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: A conversation about unionization and higher education
Wayward Son
Member # 210

- posted      Profile for Wayward Son   Email Wayward Son   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Under the current system the administrator has a severe disincentive to picking a teacher with an advanced degree.
But that just means there is a severe disincentive for a teacher to work toward an advanced degree or, if she has one, to apply for a teaching position. Either way, the person won't get much for his investment.

At least, under the current system, there is an incentive for established teachers to earn an advanced degree.

[ March 30, 2011, 03:26 PM: Message edited by: Wayward Son ]

Posts: 8681 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSRT
Member # 6454

- posted      Profile for PSRT   Email PSRT   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
It takes two to tango. Teachers who forty years ago wouldn't dreamed of setting foot back in a classroom as a student now cheerfully sign up for, and let their employers pay for,
Except the employers do NOT pay for the classes. They MIGHT pay for some fraction of the cost.

I've spent 10,000 dollars on education since becoming a teacher (plus or minus a few bucks) and had 800 dollars of reinbursement (minus a few bucks, but I can't remember how much). ANd all 10,000 dollars have been for courses I am required by law to take. I suspect this scenario is far more common than the situation where the large majority of expenditures are reinbursed.

[ March 30, 2011, 04:08 PM: Message edited by: PSRT ]

Posts: 2152 | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ken_in_sc
Member # 6462

- posted      Profile for ken_in_sc   Email ken_in_sc       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am a retired teacher. Teaching was my second career, however I retired early. I taught for nine years. I retired because of the stress, overwork, lack of respect, and because I really did not need the money. I never worked less than 60 hours a week during the school year. I spent every weekend preparing lessons for the next week and creating meaningless paperwork for the school administrators. I spent every summer taking courses to maintain or upgrade my teaching certificate. I did not teach in a unionized district. I don't think it makes any difference. Public education is dysfunctional with or without unions. The problem starts in schools of education and credentialism.
Posts: 159 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page