Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » The Default Major: Skating Through B-School

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Default Major: Skating Through B-School
philnotfil
Member # 1881

- posted      Profile for philnotfil     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Education as business. Here is what the future of higher education looks like.

nytimes.com

quote:
PAUL M. MASON does not give his business students the same exams he gave 10 or 15 years ago. “Not many of them would pass,” he says.

Dr. Mason, who teaches economics at the University of North Florida, believes his students are just as intelligent as they’ve always been. But many of them don’t read their textbooks, or do much of anything else that their parents would have called studying. “We used to complain that K-12 schools didn’t hold students to high standards,” he says with a sigh. “And here we are doing the same thing ourselves.”

quote:
Business majors spend less time preparing for class than do students in any other broad field, according to the most recent National Survey of Student Engagement: nearly half of seniors majoring in business say they spend fewer than 11 hours a week studying outside class. In their new book “Academically Adrift: Limited Learning on College Campuses,” the sociologists Richard Arum and Josipa Roksa report that business majors had the weakest gains during the first two years of college on a national test of writing and reasoning skills. And when business students take the GMAT, the entry examination for M.B.A. programs, they score lower than students in every other major.
quote:
Scholars in the field point to three sources of trouble. First, as long ago as 1959, a Ford Foundation report warned that too many undergraduate business students chose their majors “by default.” Business programs also attract more than their share of students who approach college in purely instrumental terms, as a plausible path to a job, not out of curiosity about, say, Ronald Coase’s theory of the firm.

“Business education has come to be defined in the minds of students as a place for developing elite social networks and getting access to corporate recruiters,” says Rakesh Khurana, a professor at Harvard Business School who is a prominent critic of the field. It’s an attitude that Dr. Khurana first saw in M.B.A. programs but has migrated, he says, to the undergraduate level.

Second, in management and marketing, no strong consensus has emerged about what students ought to learn or how they ought to learn it. And finally, with large student-faculty ratios and no lab equipment, business has historically been cheaper to operate than most departments. Cynics say many colleges are content.

“At the big public universities, the administrations need us to be credible, but I’m not sure that they need us to be very good,” says J. David Hunger, a scholar-in-residence in the management program at the College of St. Benedict and St. John’s University, in Collegeville, Minn. “They need us to be cash cows.”

Doesn't this apply to pretty much everything outside of the hard sciences? (and even to some of the hard sciences)
Posts: 3719 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 99

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The MBA in particular has been a joke for nearly fifty years.
Posts: 22935 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gaoics79
Member # 969

- posted      Profile for Gaoics79   Email Gaoics79   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Doesn't this apply to pretty much everything outside of the hard sciences? (and even to some of the hard sciences)
Pretty much.

I'm embarrassed to say how many hours I studied per week in law school. And in undergraduate (BA History / English) I didn't study at all on a regular basis.

I honestly think that most of the programs today don't really push students very much at all. I sometimes wonder what it would have been like to have gone to school in a time when completing a post-seocndary degree really was a meaningful accomplishment.

Posts: 7629 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yossarian22c
Member # 1779

- posted      Profile for yossarian22c   Email yossarian22c       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you really want to know go get a Ph.D. in engineering, a hard science or math.
Posts: 1121 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chael
Member # 2436

- posted      Profile for Chael   Email Chael   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know about you guys, but I wasn't in the sciences and I worked my butt off. [Wink]
Posts: 872 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KidTokyo
Member # 6601

- posted      Profile for KidTokyo   Email KidTokyo       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm in my third year of law school (as an evening student) and I have to work my arse of just to keep from getting creamed. No room for slack. I haven't had a real weekend (save for holidays) since 2008.
Posts: 2336 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OpsanusTau
Member # 2350

- posted      Profile for OpsanusTau   Email OpsanusTau   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We make jokes amongst ourselves about the "PhD slackers". The dual doctorate students tend to agree - the part where they're working on the PhD in the biomedical sciences is the part where they aren't doing so much work.

It's hard to judge; and it's not as though I discount the hours, nay years, of sitting around thinking about knotty problems that people do in their research degrees.

But I do know that my own professional degree takes the same amount of time that it did thirty years ago, but contains substantially more material.
C'est la vie. I'm a lucky person; I like what I do.

Posts: 3791 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ken_in_sc
Member # 6462

- posted      Profile for ken_in_sc   Email ken_in_sc       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I promise you that business majors are not weaker than education majors. I have been both. Business was harder and more work. BTW, almost no one except business majors take the GMAT. It stands for Graduate Management Admissions Test. It stands to reason that some who take it are going to score lower than others.
Posts: 159 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 99

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
BTW, almost no one except business majors take the GMAT.
*blink* Why do you think this? Last I heard, slightly fewer than half of all MBAs were business majors.

[ April 16, 2011, 03:50 PM: Message edited by: TomDavidson ]

Posts: 22935 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Drake
Member # 2128

- posted      Profile for The Drake   Email The Drake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
The MBA in particular has been a joke for nearly fifty years.

I have an undergrad in engineering and an MBA. I can assure you that neither one of them was a joke. I attended classes 12 hours a week for two full years and met with my study group for untold hours through nights and weekends. Thousands of pages of case studies, internet research, and loads of quantitative analysis in statistics and algebraic formulas.

In other news, MBA candidates do indeed come from other disciplines - especially engineering.

Posts: 7707 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 99

quote:
I can assure you that neither one of them was a joke.
If you chose to take your MBA seriously, good for you.
KidTokyo
Member # 6601

- posted      Profile for KidTokyo   Email KidTokyo       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Isn't the opening post quoting an article about students majoring in business as undergraduates?

Why should that necessarily mean that getting an MBA is a "joke"?

Posts: 2336 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 99

The article notes obliquely that the MBA has long been a joke, but it's only recently that this appears to have trickled down to business undergrads.
G2
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by philnotfil:
Education as business. Here is what the future of higher education looks like.

Education as business did not create this, education as indoctrination program created this.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 99

I dunno, G2. I suspect that most of the people who're majoring in business are doing so because the invisible hand of the market suggests it's financially sensible for them to do so.
KidTokyo
Member # 6601

The NYT article seems to confine its criticism to schools outside of the "top 50," the same tale it tells about law schools.

In other words, exactly the kind of stories that NYT readers like to have a good wank over.

That doesn't mean it isn't true, of course.

KidTokyo
Member # 6601

Isn't this just a matter of education doing what used to be done informally -- i.e., teaching on the job? Harder to be apathetic at a new job.
G2
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I dunno, G2. I suspect that most of the people who're majoring in business are doing so because the invisible hand of the market suggests it's financially sensible for them to do so.

Certainly there is some of that but I was specifically referring to sections like:
quote:
“We used to complain that K-12 schools didn’t hold students to high standards,” he says with a sigh. “And here we are doing the same thing ourselves.”
Dr. Mason is talking about the massive slip in education through the high school level is now requiring them to dumb down their curriculum as well. It's not "education as business" that is driving this dumbing down, it's the refocusing of education into indoctrination.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philnotfil
Member # 1881

- posted      Profile for philnotfil     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by G2:
quote:

Certainly there is some of that but I was specifically referring to sections like:
quote:
“We used to complain that K-12 schools didn’t hold students to high standards,” he says with a sigh. “And here we are doing the same thing ourselves.”
Dr. Mason is talking about the massive slip in education through the high school level is now requiring them to dumb down their curriculum as well. It's not "education as business" that is driving this dumbing down, it's the refocusing of education into indoctrination.

I disagree. If it was about indoctrination they wouldn't complain about having to dumb down the curriculum, they would be happily doing it. If it was about education, rather than making money, they wouldn't be dumbing down the curriculum, and would fail a ton more students. Colleges that fail a third of their students, don't get more students. More students is how colleges make more money. It is possible that the colleges really are happy about dumbing down the curriculum, but having heard drunken administrators rail against this very thing, and against the system that requires them to make money rather than actually educate, I'm guessing that isn't the case. (or they are really good actors)
Posts: 3719 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cherrypoptart
Member # 3942

- posted      Profile for cherrypoptart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They have the same thing happening in India, and not just for business majors.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703515504576142092863219826.html

Muddying the picture is that on the surface, India appears to have met the demand for more educated workers with a quantum leap in graduates. Engineering colleges in India now have seats for 1.5 million students, nearly four times the 390,000 available in 2000, according to the National Association of Software and Services Companies, a trade group.

But 75% of technical graduates and more than 85% of general graduates are unemployable by India's high-growth global industries, including information technology and call centers, according to results from assessment tests administered by the group.

Posts: 7675 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page