Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Question for Servicemen/women

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Question for Servicemen/women
RickyB
Member # 1464

- posted      Profile for RickyB   Email RickyB   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do y'all get college credits for your life experience accumulated in service?
Posts: 19145 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Adam Masterman
Member # 1142

- posted      Profile for Adam Masterman   Email Adam Masterman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Doubtful, but I don't know for sure. I'm not a serviceman, just related to one, but my general impression is that we, as a country, talk a good game about supporting our volunteer army, and a poor job of following through.
Posts: 4823 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LetterRip
Member # 310

- posted      Profile for LetterRip   Email LetterRip   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
RickyB,

depends on the speciality and with the specific college.

Adam - don't see how one has to do with the other.

Posts: 8287 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RickyB
Member # 1464

- posted      Profile for RickyB   Email RickyB   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't mean if you specialize in something technical at a difficulty level equivalent to actual college credits. Just for being an infantry grunt.
Posts: 19145 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Adam Masterman
Member # 1142

- posted      Profile for Adam Masterman   Email Adam Masterman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LetterRip:
RickyB,

depends on the speciality and with the specific college.

Adam - don't see how one has to do with the other.

Just a broad cultural observation. Despite rhetoric to the contrary, there are numerous hardships and almost no benefits to having served.
Posts: 4823 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clark
Member # 2727

- posted      Profile for Clark   Email Clark   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shouldn't college credit ideally correlate to some sort of knowledge or something? How much infantry-ing equates to an economics course?
Posts: 420 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JoshuaD
Member # 1420

- posted      Profile for JoshuaD   Email JoshuaD   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Adam: I have two friends who served. They are both attending college for free, being paid some sort of benefit each month as long as they keep up their GPA, and have inexpensive doctors available to them. They both came out of the military with a large pile of money (for age 24) in the bank, and lived for over a year without working. (This isn't what I would suggest doing with that money, obviously).

I've never talked to them about the issue in detail, but I get the impression that there are other benefits as well.

Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Adam Masterman
Member # 1142

I'll admit that my impression is entirely subjective. Personally, I've watched the army severely injure my brother through what would be criminal negligence had a civilian doctor done it. And I watched him secure private insurance because the military wouldn't adequately treat his recovery after deployment. News stories and anecdotes have given me a very strong impression that this is the norm, not the exception. Soldiers with PTSD charged with cowardice, dereliction of duty, etc., all in the absence of any form of treatment. Stop-lossing and multiple deployments in order to achieve "war on the cheap." And, most galling of all, the "Support our Troops" bumper sticker crowd being as likely as not to defend such practices, and denounce reporters and whistleblowers for defaming the military. Again, just my observation, and by no means universal, but I definitely see a gap between the talk and the walk.
JWatts
Member # 6523

- posted      Profile for JWatts   Email JWatts   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My wife's uncle just retired after 20+ years in the military, the last 10 as a Ranger instructor at Fort Benning.

My step-brother finished 3 tours in Iraq and now works on helicopter maintenance at a local base.

My cousin is on his third deployment to Iraq (actually I believe he's in Kuwait). He was glad about the money he would make during his deployment though unhappy to be separated from his family, obviously. He make's considerably higher pay on military deployment than he does at his regular job as an auto mechanic.

None of them feel unhappy about their military service. Indeed, they are quite proud about the fact.

[ May 26, 2011, 01:28 PM: Message edited by: JWatts ]

Posts: 4700 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LetterRip
Member # 310

- posted      Profile for LetterRip   Email LetterRip   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Experience will vary drastically between the individual, where they served, what branch they served, who they served under, what injuries they received, where they live after leaving the military, etc.
Posts: 8287 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Adam Masterman
Member # 1142

quote:
Originally posted by JWatts:

None of them feel unhappy about their military service. Indeed, they are quite proud about the fact.

As does my brother. That doesn't contradict any of what I said.
G2
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RickyB:
Do y'all get college credits for your life experience accumulated in service?

There is some limited college credit for "life experience" but this is typically granted at the community college level as part of an Associate degree or certification program and can sometimes be transferred to a university. It's usually more like CE credit. However, depending on their job in the military, servicemen can accumulate quite a bit of college credit from their formal training. For example, the sailors coming out of the Navy's nuclear power school (very long and intensive) can be credited with a ton of hours - I heard as much as 50 but I can't verify that and I imagine it varies considerably depending on the college and program. I know a lot of law enforcement and EMT programs will take military experience in lieu of some classes.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
G2
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RickyB:
I don't mean if you specialize in something technical at a difficulty level equivalent to actual college credits. Just for being an infantry grunt.

Sorry, missed that...almost unequivocally "no". Infantry skills have virtually no correlation to most academic programs.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
remlind
Member # 6672

- posted      Profile for remlind         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You do not get college credit for 'life experience', but you can get credits for certain training received. The amount of credit you can receive varies depending on the MOS and the college.
Posts: 37 | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grant
Member # 1925

- posted      Profile for Grant   Email Grant       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by remlind:
You do not get college credit for 'life experience', but you can get credits for certain training received. The amount of credit you can receive varies depending on the MOS and the college.

Ditto. But it usually has to be very technical training. Officers do not get college credits for management or critical decision making made in the field. The training was already credited as military science courses. Infantrymen do not get credit for rifle marksmanship. Most training, even most technical training, does not transfer as college credits. Life experience doesn't either unfortunately.
Posts: 3264 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
remlind
Member # 6672

- posted      Profile for remlind         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Clep testing or auditing a course is a way of getting college credit for life experiences.
Posts: 37 | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ken_in_sc
Member # 6462

- posted      Profile for ken_in_sc   Email ken_in_sc       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Air Force has a Community College of the Air Force, which is an accredited community college. Any enlisted member who completes his or her required training and a few off-duty courses, can receive an associates degree--sometimes two associates. These credits are transferable to 4-year colleges who have agreements with the Air Force. Officers are not included because they already have a 4-year degree. They are included in other programs which assist them in getting a masters degree. This includes getting graduate credit for Squadron Officers School, Air Command and Staff College, and Air War College.
Posts: 159 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page