Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » wireless router

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: wireless router
Brian
Member # 588

- posted      Profile for Brian   Email Brian   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am intending to get a wireless router so I can surf on my laptop anywhere in the house.
The house is about 150' from the road, and I would prefer to not provide a hotspot for motorists.
My DSL is not blazing fast, so I don't need the 55Mbps version (or anything near it).
I know they used to list how far away the signal could be received, but I don't see that anywhere now. Is that something which has fallen by the way-side?

Any help would be appreciated.

Posts: 359 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chael
Member # 2436

- posted      Profile for Chael   Email Chael   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is there a reason I'm missing why putting a password on the router would be insufficient?
Posts: 872 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LetterRip
Member # 310

- posted      Profile for LetterRip   Email LetterRip   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
just password restrict it. Range will depend on the reciever and transmitter of the device it is communicating with, interferance from surrounding structures, etc.
Posts: 8287 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DonaldD
Member # 1052

- posted      Profile for DonaldD   Email DonaldD   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You may also be able to make available some small fraction of the router's bandwidth for public access, reserving most of the bandwidth for those with password access.

If your concern is with legal responsibility rather than bandwidth considerations, then never mind.

Posts: 10751 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vulture
Member # 84

- posted      Profile for vulture   Email vulture   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pretty much all routers can be set up with various privacy features. All can be password protected (use WPA rather than WEP if you have the choice - WEP has some security flaws IIRC). You can usually set the router to not broadcast your network name (which is something people need to know to connect to the network) so it simply won't show up on simple scans for nearby networks. You can also configure a router to only allow access from specific MAC addresses (which is the unique code assigned to the wireless hardware in your laptop/computer/whatever device). This is the most secure method, but does make it a bit more of a faff to e.g. allow visiting relatives to use your network (you have to disable the MAC address access control, let them connect via password login, and then get the new device MAC address from the router logs).

For 99% of people, just enabling WPA security chosing a decent password for it is sufficient.

Posts: 1768 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JWatts
Member # 6523

- posted      Profile for JWatts   Email JWatts   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My recommendation is to get a dual mode N wireless router. Make sure you get the expensive version with dual antennas. They cost more, but they are worth it in covering large areas. However, if you only needed to cover 1 room almost any low end router is fine.

And regardless, do not ignore fast speeds. You need them. As distance from the router goes up speed drops. So just because you might not be able to take advantage of the speed in the same room as the router, doesn't mean it won't be better on the other side of the house.

I'd recommend looking at the reviews on NewEgg.Com. Their prices are good to start with, but their consumer reviews are what keep me coming back.

And by all means, set the password immediately upon getting the device. And don't use 'password', your last name, your pets name or your street number as the password.

Don't use WEP! It's crap. It's literally crackable in a few minutes for short passwords.

[ August 29, 2011, 02:46 PM: Message edited by: JWatts ]

Posts: 4700 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 113

- posted      Profile for msquared   Email msquared   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Echo what was said above. Do all of it. Rename your router, change the password, use WPA, make the system not broadcast the router name, and use the MAC address list.

We use all of them and have never had an issue.

msquared

Posts: 4002 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyrtolin
Member # 2638

- posted      Profile for Pyrtolin   Email Pyrtolin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
make the system not broadcast the router name, and use the MAC address list
These last two, are. honestly, not really worth the effort. Anyone with a tool that could attack the WPA code can pretty easily snoop out the network name and active hardware addresses on it, even if you're using WPA for the data itself.

When setting up WPA it's good to remember that you can use spaces and punctuation. Forget pass"word" and go for pass _phrase_. Not only will it be easier to remember, but a very short sentence is many orders of magnitude harder to crack than a single word with special characters in it.

(This is good advice for any of your password needs, really, only complicated by the fact that some places have outdated and pointless limits on the characters and length of what you can enter.)

Posts: 11997 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheRallanator
Member # 6624

- posted      Profile for TheRallanator   Email TheRallanator       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And if you plan on doing anything illegal on the internet, change your router back to the default settings and disable password protection. Plausible deniability could save your ass [Big Grin]
Posts: 503 | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian
Member # 588

- posted      Profile for Brian   Email Brian   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks guys!
Posts: 359 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mason Leege
Member # 1371

- posted      Profile for Mason Leege   Email Mason Leege   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I recommend the upside downternet.

http://www.ex-parrot.com/pete/upside-down-ternet.html

Posts: 40 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page