Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Liberals vow to challenge Obama in Democratic primaries (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Liberals vow to challenge Obama in Democratic primaries
TomDavidson
Member # 99

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
They have to build more apartments....More grass means more work for those who cut grass.
These are the two most obvious flawed assumptions. They do not necessarily have to build more apartments, and they do not necessarily have to hire people to cut grass in a way that puts more total money in the pockets of those hirelings.
Posts: 22935 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyrtolin
Member # 2638

- posted      Profile for Pyrtolin   Email Pyrtolin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Grant:
Sorry, Tom. Could you help me figure out where I'm going wrong?

If more people are moving out of homes and into apartments,

And if they're moving into the street instead?
quote:
it makes sense to me that the people who own the apartments would be making more money. They have to build more apartments.
Which employs far fewer people, for less time, than would actually live in the apartments.
quote:
More apartments means more grass that needs to be cut. More grass means more work for those who cut grass.
Or they skip grass entirely and just hire maybe on superintendent for every 50-100 people. So you need 100 people to pay rent, but only provide the salary for one or two (or better, secure their services at an even lower wage by requiring that they occupy one of those units themselves)

Eventually, the rich person has all the money and all of his tenants instead barter direct IOUs with him instead, with their security at his whim.

Posts: 11997 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AI Wessex
Member # 6653

- posted      Profile for AI Wessex   Email AI Wessex   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why will people losing their homes mean there will be more grass? Does homelessness create it? If I wanted to build a low-maintenance apartment unit, I would make the apartments smaller than today's and have no grass needing to be cut.
Posts: 8393 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JWatts
Member # 6523

- posted      Profile for JWatts   Email JWatts   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Apparently, there is no "Hope and Change" left in the Democratic party. Not surprising I guess, considering Obama's track record.

But cheer up, I predict that if a Republican is elected that the stock market will be 50% higher than it is today (11,216 DJIA) by 2016 and that unemployment will be lower than at any point during the Obama Presidency.

Anybody want to wager some money on this?

Posts: 4700 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AI Wessex
Member # 6653

- posted      Profile for AI Wessex   Email AI Wessex   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sure, I'll go a few Euros. I assume given your confidence that you'll give me really good odds, too.

BTW, health care costs are up 9% this year (general inflation is ~3.5%), but wages and prices are essentially the same as a year ago. Where do you think service sector employers will find the money?

Posts: 8393 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JWatts
Member # 6523

- posted      Profile for JWatts   Email JWatts   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sure, I'll go with that:

Say 4/3, 15 Euros for me if I'm right, 20 Euros for you if I'm wrong.

Conditions:
DJIA > 16,824 by Dec 31st 2016.
Unemployment < 8.2% by Dec 31st 2016.

Posts: 4700 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AI Wessex
Member # 6653

I want an escalation clause, too. Remember that if a Republican wins in 2012, it is *his* economy henceforth, so if unemployment is cumulatively higher during his administration's recession, you lose double.
JWatts
Member # 6523

What the heck does cumulatively higher mean?

And why are you so afraid that a Republican will be that much better?

AI Wessex
Member # 6653

I will define the term at an appropriate moment [Smile] . I'm not afraid of Republicans at all. I live out in the country surrounded by woods with an alarm system.
Brian
Member # 588

- posted      Profile for Brian   Email Brian   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
AI, why are you worried about the economy? You apparently are rich enough to put an alarm system on your woods [Big Grin]

I can't even imagine how much that must have cost. How do you filter out the animals tripping the alarms from the actual threats?

I would also wager that if Obama gets a second term, unemployment will be lower than any point in his first term.

[ September 28, 2011, 02:22 PM: Message edited by: Brian ]

Posts: 359 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Viking_Longship
Member # 3358

- posted      Profile for Viking_Longship   Email Viking_Longship       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
It’s no secret that Ralph Nader has held the Democratic Party establishment in low regard for decades now: the marginally more palatable alternative in an ugly duopoly, he claims, is still quite ugly. But lately Nader’s disdain has reached a new high. “It’s gotten so bad,” he tells me, “that you can actually say a Republican president—with a Democratic Senate—would produce less bad results than the present situation. That’s how bollixed stuff has gone.”

Not that he was ever particularly optimistic about the Obama administration, especially its potential to make headway on curtailing corporate welfare, now Nader’s signature policy objective. But in that, as with so many aspects of Obama’s presidency, the adjectives “disappointing” or “inadequate” don’t even begin to capture the depths of progressive disillusionment. Looking ahead to the 2012 presidential race, one might assume that Nader has little to be cheerful about.

Yet he says there is one candidate who sticks out—who even gives him hope: Rep. Ron Paul of Texas.

http://www.theamericanconservative.com/blog/ralph-naders-grand-alliance/
Posts: 5765 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AI Wessex
Member # 6653

"AI, why are you worried about the economy? You apparently are rich enough to put an alarm system on your woods [Big Grin]

I can't even imagine how much that must have cost. How do you filter out the animals tripping the alarms from the actual threats?"

I'm not rich, merely the Master of My Domain. However, now that I reread my post I again appreciate, the value of, a well-placed comma.

[ September 28, 2011, 07:05 PM: Message edited by: AI Wessex ]

Pete at Home
Member # 429

- posted      Profile for Pete at Home   Email Pete at Home   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The squirrels have to tiptoe around Al's woods. [Big Grin]
Posts: 44193 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AI Wessex
Member # 6653

I'm not worried about them. It's the super-intelligent moles. I've watched Caddyshack twice recently, but I still fall into their traps instead of them falling into mine.
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page