Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Redefining Bush as a RINO

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Redefining Bush as a RINO
philnotfil
Member # 1881

- posted      Profile for philnotfil     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I find this to be such a fascinating metamorphosis. The first six years of Bush's presidency he was proclaimed as a true Republican. In fact, many RINO's were labelled as such because they disagreed with Bush, or endorsed other candidates in elections. Starting in 2006 the RINO label started appearing with his name. The first reference I can find by someone other than a random blogger is from William Buckley, who said that Bush was too far to the right to be a true conservative, based on his actions in Iraq. In 2007 the claims were still in the blogosphere, but in 2008 they really took off.

Have we ever seen a redefinition of a politician like this?

By most measures Bush was more conservative than Reagan (maybe Reagan is really a RINO too), but has somehow been redefined as practically a liberal.

Posts: 3719 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheRallanator
Member # 6624

- posted      Profile for TheRallanator   Email TheRallanator       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You probably see a redefinition of a politician like that every time he becomes immensely unpopular and a liability to his own party's reelection chances. The Republicans got hammered in the '06 midterms because they'd finally pissed all their political capital from 9/11 against the wall, and then there was a humungous recession almost immediately afterwards. Throw in the fact that Bush had already done his two terms and there was no need to try and defend his reputation for the next election, and it's no wonder they threw him under a bus.
Posts: 503 | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KidTokyo
Member # 6601

- posted      Profile for KidTokyo   Email KidTokyo       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A republican by any other name...?

A rino is a rightist is a Reagan, quoth Stein.

Well, if we keep hard-tacking to the right like we've been doing for the last 25 years, we'll soon see the day that Michelle Bachman is a Rino, and Mitt Romney is a Naderite. Yippee.

Posts: 2336 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AI Wessex
Member # 6653

- posted      Profile for AI Wessex   Email AI Wessex   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There was some grumbling by around 2004 that Bush wasn't a true Conservative, but I don't recall him ever being accused of RINOhood. Huckabee commented earlier this year that Reagan wouldn't stand a chance in today's political climate. His godly image is receding in the distance, looking more and more like a plaster statue of himself.

McConnell, who is the certifiably Conservative leader of the Senate Republicans, has said that the Republican Party risks becoming irrelevant. I don't think Tea Party will catch on, but maybe there will be a new name out there in a few years, maybe something unpronounceable, like Prince's handle.

Posts: 8393 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pete at Home
Member # 429

- posted      Profile for Pete at Home   Email Pete at Home   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"There was some grumbling by around 2004 that Bush wasn't a true Conservative"

Indeed there was. And some of it was on this board.

"but I don't recall him ever being accused of RINOhood"

Nor do I. Was the RINO term in vogue back then?

Posts: 44193 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JWatts
Member # 6523

- posted      Profile for JWatts   Email JWatts   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Both RINO and DINO are silly terms. They are both aspects of a school age cliche mentality.

Of course EINO (engineer in name only) is an entirely appropriate term. [LOL]

Posts: 4700 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AI Wessex
Member # 6653

- posted      Profile for AI Wessex   Email AI Wessex   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The term has gone in and out of fashion since the 1920's.
Posts: 8393 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheRallanator
Member # 6624

- posted      Profile for TheRallanator   Email TheRallanator       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by JWatts:
Both RINO and DINO are silly terms. They are both aspects of a school age cliche mentality.

Did DINO ever catch on? I've only ever heard "Blue Dog" for right-leaning Democrats.
Posts: 503 | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyrtolin
Member # 2638

- posted      Profile for Pyrtolin   Email Pyrtolin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Of course EINO (engineer in name only) is an entirely appropriate term. [LOL]

Wouldn't that be more EIDO (name->degree)? Or am I more familiar with the converse to what you're talking about?
Posts: 11997 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ken_in_sc
Member # 6462

- posted      Profile for ken_in_sc   Email ken_in_sc       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bush was not a favorite of hard core conservatives. the only thing he was was better than Gore or Egore.
Posts: 159 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JWatts
Member # 6523

- posted      Profile for JWatts   Email JWatts   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheRallanator:
quote:

Did DINO ever catch on? I've only ever heard "Blue Dog" for right-leaning Democrats.
It's not used as widely as RINO, but it's certainly used. Particularly in reference to Senator Lieberman.

Here's the Facebook page for: Obama is a DINO

[LOL]

[ October 10, 2011, 11:53 AM: Message edited by: JWatts ]

Posts: 4700 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page